“Clean and comfy”
Review of Ludlow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barstow
Ludlow Motel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Unlike most reviewers, I did not stay at the Ludlow Motel in desperation after a misjudgment of time and distance. I booked a room here in advance because I wanted to check out the place myself and it exactly filled a need in my Route 66 itinerary. People often refer to the place as "basic" and I suppose that's true in some sense. When I reserved my room via telephone (call the Chevron station) the lack of phone and internet was stressed and there is, in fact, no pool, spa, lounge, mints on the pillows, or room service. But there is a clean room, comfortable beds, and a TV. The next door restaurant has good food at reasonable prices. Across the street, at the gas station that doubles as the motel lobby, there is free coffee, ice, and soft drinks around the clock and the snack selection beats any vending machine I've ever seen. Calling it "basic" isn't entirely inaccurate but I've stayed at major chains in metropolitan areas that offered less amenities than what amounts to an isolated oasis. I liked it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Denny G

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Much as has been mentioned by previous posters, we ended up here after a long day on route 66 trip and just could'nt go any further. The place is not very welcoming as it is directly across from a service station, which is where you book in. Staff showed little interest in our enquiries and the place itself has a decidedly dodgy feel about it. Room was not too clean and the bathroom had signs of previous customers! We jammed a chair against the flimsy door to provide some extra peace of mind, but to be honest neither of us slept for any length of time and we left as early as possible. If you find yourself in this part of the world i would advise to keep going or else stop earlier in a different town. This place is a dump.

Room Tip: Dont stop!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank frankiecee
Reviewed 4 May 2012

stopped here about 9pm after a long day on route 66. petrol station staff where you check in were friendly enough and we were told the rooms are basic, no wi fi and no coffee maker but free coffee and soda from petrol station during your stay, ok with us, but may have been a pain if it was raining!!!! room was a good size clean and we had a good nights sleep. we loved the old cars etc outside the route 66 cafe next door.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ruthm62
Reviewed 12 January 2012

To be honest we were happy finding this place after long drive from LA through Joshua Tree Park, providing that this is the only motel on the way to Mojave Reserve. You check in at the petrol station, room is smelly but beds ok, bathroom...well at least has a hot shower. The pros is nearby cafe Route 66 where you can get decent breakfast, with choice of Polish sausage in the menu (I'm from Poland what pleased me :)) Overall not a great experience but if you tired and I bet you are if you end up there it doesn't matter, you just want to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mytravelmind
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We ended up in Ludlow after a long drive on Route 66 into California and couldn't push onto try and find another motel. The relief at finding a place to sleep was enormous although the motel certainly isn't great. You book it through the service station and it is cheap - don't expect much more service then that. The room was ok but dull and uncheerful. There wasn't a good lock on the door which was a concern. If you're desperate it's ok, if you can keep driving do so.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thejourneysofar
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We broke down 12 miles west of Ludlow and were blessed by their location. The motel is simply that -- if you are expecting the hotel standards of the more elegant national chains, keep driving. The staff were informal but helpful. They didn't bother with all the perfunctory PCness that chains inforce on their employees however.

The rooms are all smoking rooms, but the room we stayed in was sufficiently clean so that it wasn't a big deal.

Because of our breakdown we were VERY glad for this spot. We are doing a geocaching run in March 2011 and will plan to stay at this motel while in the area!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PathfinderMark
Reviewed 13 September 2010

One star is one star too many. This is an angry, unhappy place. AVOID.

Life in the desert must bite. It's very hot and there is nothing to do for many miles. Perhaps that's why everyone involved with this motel and the related Chevron station are so rude and unhappy.

This evening, I stopped in to inquire about a room. Rooms at the Ludlow Motel are rented at the Chevron station across the street, so I visited the Chevron. When I got there, two employees were standing in front of the entrance (ie not more than 10' from the nearest pump) SMOKING. I walked inside and asked how much a room would be.

After a brief delay, I decided to rent a room. As I was filling out the paperwork, I requested a 6 am wakeup call. Since the motel does not have phones, they have an unusual "system". Since the rooms do not have phones, random employees do wakeup calls by knocking on the door. I have stayed here twice before and the system worked fine the one time I used it, I guess. But the "system" isn't so much a system as it is something which only a few of their employees are willing to do.

This evening, my request for a wakeup call was a problem. The person handling my transaction wasn't sure how to arrange a wakeup call, so some snotty overweight woman named Priscilla chimed in.

According to Priscilla, the people who work the next shift (beggining at 10 pm) would decide whether or not they wanted to do a wakeup call in the morning. So I wouldn't know until some indeterminate time in the future whether or not a wakeup call would be available. I told Priscilla that I needed to know if I could get a wakeup call before I signed on the dotted line. Priscilla just shrugged it off. Since Priscilla didn't give a damn about fulfilling her duties, I tried to help her help me. I asked, are either of the people smoking in front of the building people who are working the next shift. Priscilla seemed puzzled. Because, if one of them is working next shift, I said, you could speak with them and determine whether or not they are willing to do a wakeup call.

Priscilla became very testy at this point, and asked which way I was going. I pushed back, asking how that impacted whether or not Ludlow Motel could accommodate my request for a wakeup call. She said, I was going to tell you about OTHER motels you could stay at so we don't have to deal with your wakeup call. WOW - an hourly gas station employee driving away customers with snotty comments. I bet the owner of the station likes it when she does that. After some unproductive interaction with the chubby departing manager and the Kenneth the incoming manager, I decided to take my business to Barstow.

As for the accommodations at Ludlow Motel, here's what you can expect: 1) All rooms are smoking rooms. Both times I stayed at Ludlow Motel, the rooms stunk. 2) Substandard air conditioning. Both times I stayed here, the a/c was noisy and not particularly effective. 3) Worn-out linens. Think white mosquito netting. 4) Some employees are rude and unprofessional in the extreme.

Also, watch out for the bored guy in the worn out old Ford pickup truck which says "Ludlow Security and Maintenance" on it. No matter what you're up to, it seems that he'll find a reason to come bother you.

Ludlow is only 45 miles from Barstow, and about 70 miles from Needles. PLAN AHEAD. Buy your gas, food, and lodging in Barstow or Needles and avoid the drama of this little hellhole in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo