“Worst Experience Ever”
Review of Ludlow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barstow
Ludlow Motel
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This was such a horrible stay, we got there around 12:30am so tired from driving all day all we wanted to do was watch TV and lay down, the TV would not work there was no phone to even call the store and I didn't feel like driving to the store, we had no toilet paper when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night I had to go to my car to get some and again no phone in room to call the store also found 3 hairs in my bed and the worst part was around 3:35am someone tried getting in our room wiggling the lock around, I was so scared being in the middle of nowhere and having no phone and with the store being so far away, when I went to check out at the store in the morning I let the two gentleman working know what happened last night and one of them apologized for everything and said , "Sometimes truck drivers like to sleep for free and try and get into a room, he also said oh that must be the new house keeper who didn't put toilet paper." He then gave me a number to call and I've been calling but no one has returned my call!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank MamaKla
There are newer reviews for Ludlow Motel

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Free Porridge/Tea/Coffee!!!
What more could you ask for?
How about double locks on every door, an original 'Scorpion' painting on the wall, and authentic, 70's hanging lights (red bulb) in every room?

The Ludlow has it all.

Initial misgivings were soon removed by the friendly staff and exceptional range of hats, keyrings and candy on offer in the convenient on-site service station.

Rooms were sparkling with both character & cleanliness. Colour Television's and up to date copies of 'Machinery Weekly' classifieds are provided for the discerning travellers enjoyment while soaking their senses in the lavender tinted bathroom salts and scrubs after a hard day in the desert sun...

Combined quality, service and good ol' time American values made this our best buy over 18 nights in California.

Room Tip: Bid Them Low. Avoid the Apple&Cinnamon Porridge... Lock the door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank hazza j
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Unlike most reviewers, I did not stay at the Ludlow Motel in desperation after a misjudgment of time and distance. I booked a room here in advance because I wanted to check out the place myself and it exactly filled a need in my Route 66 itinerary. People often refer to the place as "basic" and I suppose that's true in some sense. When I reserved my room via telephone (call the Chevron station) the lack of phone and internet was stressed and there is, in fact, no pool, spa, lounge, mints on the pillows, or room service. But there is a clean room, comfortable beds, and a TV. The next door restaurant has good food at reasonable prices. Across the street, at the gas station that doubles as the motel lobby, there is free coffee, ice, and soft drinks around the clock and the snack selection beats any vending machine I've ever seen. Calling it "basic" isn't entirely inaccurate but I've stayed at major chains in metropolitan areas that offered less amenities than what amounts to an isolated oasis. I liked it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Denny G
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Much as has been mentioned by previous posters, we ended up here after a long day on route 66 trip and just could'nt go any further. The place is not very welcoming as it is directly across from a service station, which is where you book in. Staff showed little interest in our enquiries and the place itself has a decidedly dodgy feel about it. Room was not too clean and the bathroom had signs of previous customers! We jammed a chair against the flimsy door to provide some extra peace of mind, but to be honest neither of us slept for any length of time and we left as early as possible. If you find yourself in this part of the world i would advise to keep going or else stop earlier in a different town. This place is a dump.

Room Tip: Dont stop!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank frankiecee
Reviewed 4 May 2012

stopped here about 9pm after a long day on route 66. petrol station staff where you check in were friendly enough and we were told the rooms are basic, no wi fi and no coffee maker but free coffee and soda from petrol station during your stay, ok with us, but may have been a pain if it was raining!!!! room was a good size clean and we had a good nights sleep. we loved the old cars etc outside the route 66 cafe next door.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ruthm62
Reviewed 12 January 2012

To be honest we were happy finding this place after long drive from LA through Joshua Tree Park, providing that this is the only motel on the way to Mojave Reserve. You check in at the petrol station, room is smelly but beds ok, bathroom...well at least has a hot shower. The pros is nearby cafe Route 66 where you can get decent breakfast, with choice of Polish sausage in the menu (I'm from Poland what pleased me :)) Overall not a great experience but if you tired and I bet you are if you end up there it doesn't matter, you just want to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mytravelmind
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We ended up in Ludlow after a long drive on Route 66 into California and couldn't push onto try and find another motel. The relief at finding a place to sleep was enormous although the motel certainly isn't great. You book it through the service station and it is cheap - don't expect much more service then that. The room was ok but dull and uncheerful. There wasn't a good lock on the door which was a concern. If you're desperate it's ok, if you can keep driving do so.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple