“Great location....”

Hotel Los Balcones de Zafra
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Zafra
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Fabulous location, fabulous building, friendly service. We had a lovely clean and well appointed room overlooking the square, which on a Saturday night meant very little sleep, but that's hardly the fault of the hotel.

Average breakfast, usual 'tostados' and not much else, but that's just the Spanish way. I would recommend this place, but maybe ask for a room at the back if you are there over the weekend and not up for 4am partying!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth B

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Of all the hotels I've stayed in over this holdiay wandering around Spain this hotel has to be one of the best. We pick a spot on the map and head for it - not knowing where we will end up. I picked Zafra. My sense of direction must be good as we ended up in the middle of 2 major Plazas surrounded with bars and restaurants in the middle of the afternoon. The place was deserted - apart from 3 people sat at a table having a beer. Hundreds of empty tables and chairs filled the plazas. I asked them in Spanish why everything was shut, and of course, it's siesta time. The Senor told me that the hotels would open at 1730 or 1800 where we would get a room, as we were tired and wanted a gin and tonic and park the car up. You have to pay for parking (pay & display) - it's cheap but a parking ticket is expensive. So we took a gamble and parked up and had some refreshment and a tapas. By 1700 the world woke up and everyone came out of the woodwork - shops opened, and, much to my relief, the Hotel Balcones. On entering I was given a guided tour of the history of the place and how the arches are identicle to the ones in Pompeii, I think from what I could grasp of the conversation it was designed or built by the same person. When my husband brought in our bags he spoke to me in English of course then the hotelier immediately started speaking in English. I just assumed no-one spoke Spanish.

Our room overlooked the Plaza and was very spacious with a huge very comfortable bed. I wouldn't say it was 5 star but just the atmosphere of the whole place lent it to be very memorable. By now the Plazas had started to fill up. The Hotel didn't do evening meals so we asked him to recommend a restaurant. We said we wanted Tapas, so he directed us to a place at the end of the shopping street to a place called La Aubache.

I was very impressed with this food. Tapas consisted of gorgonzola cheese on toast topped with locally made fig jam; deep fried aubergines in a light batter with a home-made tomato sauce; the list was endless - my husband's tuna was quickly seared and then marinated in something and was so tender you could cut it with a fork.

Yes I'd go back - I'd even make a special effort and I definitely want to go back to that restaurant.

By the way if it's shoes you are into, there are hundreds of very good quality shoe shops in town.

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the Plaza
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrystiannehayes
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed one night at the Hotel Los Balcones de Zafra. The hotel was a great fine! The owner was delightful. The room was clean. The history behind the hotel and what was found recently during the rennovations is super interesting.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawne71
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was pleasantly surprised. I had booked a much more expensive place to stay but changed my mind at the last minute and am glad I did. The owner was such a gracious host. He showed us around the hotel and explained its history which made our stay even more enjoyable. Our room had a large balcony that looked over the square. The views were wonderful. On the other side of our room we had views of the castle through the windows. The room was very large & very comfortable. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Breakfasts was also included in the cost of the room. It was an excellent continental breakfast.

The entire staff was extremely nice. Everyone made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PRRoberts
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Finally, we stayed one night more in Zafra for the nice town and this wonderful hotel.
I can feel the owner's pride of this old house when I just arrived Plaza Grande. And it's really well decorated and presented. With a very nice guide by the owner, we visited whole this historic building and got some stories of it. It becomes one of our great memory of Zafra.
In the morning, I stood on the terrace faced to medieval Plaza Grande, feel like back to hundreds years ago.
Hope one day back to Zafra and hotel Los Balcones.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor is with terrace
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ray_Shi
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I was tempted to stay at the Parador but was drawn to this hotel and was glad I chose to stay. Spent 2 nights in Room # 206 which was a large double room on the 2nd floor with 2 small balconies opening to the main plaza. There was even a small sitting area with a couple of chairs and mini-bar. The decor was good with quality furniture and nice bathroom fixtures. The shower was awesome with great massage jets. The hotel is only 1.5 years old and even has roman ruins of an ancient well built inside. The owner was very engaging yet unintrusive and was quite proud of the hotel. He gladly showed me the suites on the first floor and they were fit for a king and queen - would be a great honeymoon treat. There are also rooms on the top floor (I saw # 301) that opens onto a huge rooftop balcony w/incredible mountain views.

Breakfast was good and was included in the price - the standard large toasted roll, selection of pre-packaged toppings, fresh squeezed orange juice, cafe con leche and these to die for almond cookies! It was actually served in the bar/cafe next door (but owned by the hotel and connected by an adjoining hallway). I actually had lunch and tapas one evening at this bar and while not extraordinary I was pleased with the quality at a decent price.

Note: On Sunday evenings and Monday many restaurants and bars are closed (the hotel bar is even closed on Monday, but open for breakfast for guests).

I'd definately stay at this hotel when I return to Zafra.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CathyDM
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at Los Balcones in Zafra for four nights and used it as a central base to visit Trujillo,, Merida and Caceres. The location for travel was perfect, but what made it really special was the warm welcome from the owner, and his immense pride in this hotel. As other guests have recorded, we were told of the ancient history of this beautiful old building and given a guided tour. Very special.
Los Balcones is perfectly located on the Plaza Grande and our room looked out onto this plaza. We were part of the local life. And don't worry about the church bells that chime every 15 minutes - they stop at 11 pm.
Our room was large and clean and the service was great. Breakfast was included in the price - toasted rolls and a selection of spreads, plus freshly squeezed orange juice and good coffee.
We were so sad to leave Zafra and Los Balcones - we could have spent more time there.

Room Tip: Rooms are shown on the website but try for one ov.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple