Firestone's Culinary Tavern
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St
Description: Firestone's Culinary Tavern, opened in 1999, is located in downtown Frederick's picturesque Historic District. It is housed in a 1921 building that was initially the home of Shipley's Department Store. The restaurant combines outstanding cuisine with the casual atmosphere of a neighborhood tavern. The Washington Post says, "the atmosphere is prime...the food is, too!".
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Firestone's happens to be one of my favorite restaurants, so it really pains me to give it a bad review; however, my last visit left something to be desired. For those who have not visited yet, I would describe the ambiance, as well as the food, as upscale tavern. Being that I like it so much my friend and I decided to have lunch there a few days ago. After we arrived, we waited about 10 minutes to get seated. Once we were seated, our order was taken in a reasonable amount of time and our beverages arrived in a speedy fashion. After chatting for a while, I did notice that food appeared to be leaving the kitchen very slowly, which did not bode well for our grumbling stomachs. Alas, it was not until 50 knuckle gnawing minutes later that our lunch arrived. But not one to hold a grudge I was ready to forgive all, until we started eating. I had ordered the fish and chips, the chips were overly salty, the batter of the fish not enough so, and the fish was very greasy. Yes, I understand fish and chips are not exactly diet food and a certain amount of grease is to be expected. My friend had ordered the grilled cheese sandwich along with the cucumber salad. She loved the cucumber salad, the grilled cheese less so. The addition of overripe tomatoes to the grilled cheese sandwich, turned the normal sensual experience of slightly buttery toasted warm bread and yummy gooey melted cheese into a soggy and not so appealing experience. We eschewed desert, paid the bill and went onto our merry little way, satiated but not satisfied. It might appear that my gripes are small, and frankly any one thing on its own would not have been a big deal, but a kitchen taking 50 minutes to produce a mediocre meal does not make me want to come back. I will probably give it another try, in the hopes that the kitchen staff had an off day, but should the experience repeat itself, I will not.

1  Thank smwheat

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We enjoyed the lunch menu. It was limited but the corned beef was excellent. Onion rings are homemade and great as well.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

On a recent long-weekend trip to Frederick, we had Saturday brunch at Firestone's. It was cozy and relaxing as we sat at the window on the second floor overlooking the street below. Food was really good. The Bloody Marys were amazing. And the service was excellent. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Foreigners not welcome !! Don't even try to get in if you have an out of country ID. You must be American to eat or drink here. I've never felt so descriminated against in my whole life, and I have done lots of traveling. Never had a problem getting into any restaurant or bar anywhere in the US or other countries with my ID and Firestones made me feel like some kind of delinquent. We had a large party, with several out of state guests and they all got in with no problem. They even went so far as to have a liquor board imposter call me at almost midnight the next evening and try to cover themselves. What professional calls at that hour? Nice try Firestones. Keep your xenophobia and your rude behavior. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

CT5355, General Manager at Firestone's Culinary Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

We completely understand and share in your frustrations. However, our inability to accept foreign IDs or passports is not a policy of ours but a law enforced by the Frederick County Liquor Board. We have repeatedly asked them to reconsider this outdated law but clearly our efforts have not been enough. I would encourage you to contact them to voice your displeasure. They can be reached at (301) 600-2984 or by email at liquorboard@frederickcountyMD.gov.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I have been eating at Firestone's for years. And it used to be so delicious and great service. That is really slipping lately. Our last visit in March made me think it is time for a break. Service was polite, but the server was stressed as were other servers on the floor. We could hear other tables complaining about slow service. The table next to us had ordered as were were being seated. They received their entrees as we were leaving nearly 90 minutes later. And they were not happy. Our service for bar and food was slow and the server had to apologize no less than four times. The food quality is also not as good as it used to be. Not sure if they are having staff issues or just getting too busy to handle the crowds. It is busier than it used to be. I think I will take a year off, and if they are still in business will pop in again.