“Ok bar food, spotty on in-house beers”

Barley and Hops Brewery
Ranked #58 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Kids, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Barley and Hops is the winner of the Maryland Comptroller's Cup for Maryland's Top Beer of 2016 – along with 20 other medals, seven being Gold! After coming under new ownership in the past year, B&H has totally revamped its craft beer offerings and food! “We can promise you that our service and food offerings match the high quality beers we produce. In with the new, out with the old!!” A locally owned business with a working in-house brewery, B&H sources many of its food and craft beer supplies from other locally businesses. Just a few minutes outside of downtown Frederick, come in and see us at Barley and Hops, where a passion for beer, food and fun is a way of life!
Paciano, Italy
“Ok bar food, spotty on in-house beers”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Generic, franchise feeling building and interior. TV's on with games and servers in football jerseys. Much more focused on bar than microbrewery. The food was ok. Just ok. The wings looked a lot better than they tasted. The crab dip was dry. My friend liked his soup.

I ordered the Weis Bier and it was, sadly, undrinkable to me. It even looked sad before I tasted it! It was warm and thin and had hardly any taste. My friend enjoyed his red ale though. If I found myself there again, I would stick to bottled beers. I chose an Omegang.

• Visited October 2013

Lawrenceville, GA
“Great selection, delicious dinner!”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We were in the area for one night and just drove past this place and decided to try it. It was a great choice. Nice atmosphere ( a little loud because of hard service flooring), but nice service and great food. The crab dip app was a favorite and three were many choices making it hard to decide on dinner. We had seafood and both dishes were very good. Would definitely enjoy returning if I am ever in the area again.

• Visited May 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Good Beer, Good Food”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I first came across Barley & Hops at the Frederick Craft Beer Festival in May, and decided to visit the brewpub. A couple visits later, I’m happy to say this one is staying in my repertoire.

Barley & Hops is a brewpub in the purest sense … glass walls separate the bar/dining area from a row of stainless steel fermenting tanks where the magic happens. We sat at the bar (yeah, same unpadded seats mentioned in other reviews) and spent three hours eating, drinking and talking.

They offer a nice, broad selection of beers to suit any taste, from a smooth lager to a hoppy ESB and rich stout. The Annapolis rocks Pale Ale wasn’t bad, but their Hoptopsy ESB was a real treat. I had two.

We went the “pub food” route here … burgers and wings and onion rings. My wife and daughter enjoyed their cheeseburgers, made with the cheese in the middle and oozing out as they bit in. My Buffalo Wings were moderately spicy, not overwhelming in heat, and nice and crispy, not soggy. The onion rings were served with a chipotle ketchup, which was a very nice touch.

Desserts are a mixed bag, some made in-house, and the cheesecake brought in from the Cheesecake Factory. We opted for a couple slices of cheesecake, as the home-made chocolate stout ice cream was being made and not ready for consumption. Our big disappointment for the day.

Service was great … we stayed for three hours, and at no time did we feel rushed or hustled. Our server, the bartender, was friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

We’ll be back.

• Visited August 2013
Middletown, MD
“No Waiting In Line”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The experience was fine. The restaurant is a little stark, wide open space, no special charm to the eating environment. The restaurant had many tables and booths available, but the hostess took us back to a corner near the kitchen!! I requested a different location which was honored. The waiter took his time about coming to the table, but we were not in a hurry so it did not matter.
Our food was very good and served hot.

• Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Go here for the beer. Food is just ok.”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

There microbrews are good. The service that we received was not the best. It took a long time to get are beer. Both my husband and I ordered burgers they were ok. I would go here again for just apps and beer.

• Visited June 2013