“Beer and a Sandwich”

Ranked #61 of 397 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Bar, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Barley and Hops is the winner of the Maryland Comptroller's Cup for Maryland's Top Beer of 2016 – along with 20 other medals, seven being Gold! After coming under new ownership in the past year, B&H has totally revamped its craft beer offerings and food! “We can promise you that our service and food offerings match the high quality beers we produce. In with the new, out with the old!!” A locally owned business with a working in-house brewery, B&H sources many of its food and craft beer supplies from other locally businesses. Just a few minutes outside of downtown Frederick, come in and see us at Barley and Hops, where a passion for beer, food and fun is a way of life!
“Beer and a Sandwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

If your in the mood to just hang loose and have a drink than this is the place. I would not expect a great diverse menu but the all around experience is a good value and good time. Try a beer and relax. It's all good .

• Visited March 2014

Monterrey, Mexico
“Excelent beer and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I went to Frederick and saw this restaurant in Google maps, I gave it a try and I was not disapointed. I started with an "Annapolis Rocks Pale Ale" with a starter of "Smokehouse Skins" followed by a delicious "Bay & Range" burger, you have to try them!

Visited February 2014
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We went with a group of about 11. This was our first visit after recommendation of friends in our group who said the place "has really good beer and food."
Starting with the beer...I had the Dwyoyo (sp?) which looked like it was filtered through a dirty dishrag. The taste was bland with no hints or notes of anything.
The food.....I started with the mini crab cake appetizer. To be fair, generous size and they were really tasty with lots of lump crab meat and good seasoning. From here it went downhill.
My friend and my wife each ordered the full rakeof ribs-one with dry rub the other with sauce. They both said they were tough and way over-cooked. They also had baked mac'n-cheese which they said was bland and tasteless. My friends girlfriend had the seafood pasta which was absolutely disgusting. I tasted the shrimp in it which seemed like it was bad. She did get sick later that evening, which is suspect of her meal. I had the Fish-n-Chips which was not good at all. First they make it with Red Snapper (which is a really tough fish to begin with). It came as a semi-breaded slab and was extremely chewy.
Granted we were not expected a five star experience but when not a single person finished their meal that should tell you something. With all the great restaurants in downtown Frederick, I would stay away from this place.

• Visited February 2014
Damascus, Maryland
“Great burgers, but not-so-great sandwiches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was our third visit to Barley and Hops. I am in love with their Jucy Lucy stuffed burger and once again, it was perfect! However, my husband had the French Dip. Where's the beef? There was hardly any meat on the sandwich and the au jus was way too salty- even for him! The last time we were here, he had the Ruben. He said there was way too much sauerkraut and hardly any corned beef. I think he'd be willing to give it another go, but would definitely stay away from the sandwiches and stick to the burgers. I had a really yummy Dunkelweisen beer- it tasted like banana bread!

The service was a bit disjointed. Our server did not approach the table for quite a while after we were seated and, while she checked back periodically, our glasses were frequently empty and it took a long time to get the bill after we were finished.

• Visited January 2014
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Great Beer Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while and today it finally happened. As with most brew pubs, most of their beers are a little high in alcohol content, but they had a very delicious ale that was only 3.8 %, only $3.00, and it was very, very flavorful. The MD Crab Soup was actually the best I've ever had and the burger was tender and flavorful, and the fries some of the best too! I don't get out to Frederick, MD very often, but I can't wait to go back to this place!

• Visited January 2014