“Great fun for the kids - lots of interesting detail for the adults”

Roads and Rails Museum
Ranked #7 of 52 things to do in Frederick
Bethany Beach, Delaware
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great fun for the kids - lots of interesting detail for the adults”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took our almost 3-year-old grandson to this museum as he has begun to be interested in Thomas the Train. We were the first ones there on a Thursday morning and it was perfect. Right in the entrance area is a small Thomas train set up. It was perfect. When we walked through the curtained doorway into the main room I was astonished as to how large the place is. We went to the right and began our journey around the room. You should note that there are stools that can be carried with you so the little ones have an easier time of seeing. We didn't see the stools until we were way on the other side and almost done so we had to carry him a lot of the time - so look first for the stools. He was a little young to really get a handle on everything but he was certainly mesmerized by the many many trains. He liked pushing the buttons but about half of them do very intricate or small things - like a firefighter climbing up a ladder (or something similar to that). So, he didn't always really see what was happening but I did and I loved it. After going all around the huge display of just hundreds and hundreds of things to see, we went to the Lego room. On the way to the Lego room was another Thomas train display which was at his viewing level. He stayed there quite a while watching for the train to come out of the tunnel. I couldn't believe the Lego room. He didn't really care about it that much but any older child who is into Legos would love it. I thought it was amazing - again hundreds and hundreds of Lego figures, buildings, etc. and of course a Lego train.

I can't wait until he is a little older to take him back. He is just a little too young to be able to really explain to him what to look at but he definitely had a great time seeing what a 2 1/2 year old can observe.

I feel that the museum is easy to find and there is a parking area behind the building.

Visited July 2014

51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The place is pretty nice inside. You can tell they put a lot of work in this. This would be 5 stars, but the location is hard to get to, and the parking is awful.

Visited May 2014
Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great train diorama”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a fabulous model train layout with great scenes. Best I have seen ever. Lost of functioning aspects to the scenes, even an airport. Some model sales in the store. Highly recommend if you are visiting Frederick.

Visited December 2013
Damascus, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hands down best train model musum”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Our 2 year old is obsessed with trains. we've been to many places, Baltimore and Ohio museum and Strasburg, PA, but we found this place to be the largest and most intricate. a lot of buttons for him to push and axiom create alot of interest. highly recommended

2 Thank AdamMD
Leesburg, Virginia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great place for kids!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Took my 3 year old niece here and she loved it. What is nice is they have the trains running but also lots of buttons to push that cause different things to move like cars or roller coasters. We went during the week so it wasn't crowded at all and she had the whole place to herself to hit all the buttons and watch all the trains. The Lego trains were also a nice touch! We walked around for about 45 minutes, went to get lunch and then came back since your ticket is good all day. I hear they get busy on the weekends so if possible I would recommend going during the week. My niece wouldn't have had as much fun if there were other kids running around pushing the buttons too. They have free parking behind the building. I also liked the attention to detail and the fun things the adults can pick out that is over the heads of the kids. They have a nice store with books, trains and shirts for sale.

Visited June 2014