“Mixed Bag!”
Review of Volt Lunchbox - CLOSED

Volt Lunchbox
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is a beautiful setting on a small canal in downtown Frederick. The café is very clean and tables face the canal for eating and people watching.

The cafe services sandwiches, chips, drinks etc. After placing my order I sat down to watch the people stroll by. I noticed a group of women being served sandwiches that were all grilled. I went to the counter to ask about this. The menu on the board doesn't say one word about sandwiches being grilled. I asked for my non grilled. The guy at the counter came to my table to verify this non grilled order. I appreciated him rechecking my request.

My sandwich arrived non grilled but smeared with butter on the outside bread. The bread was delicious but I could barely find the cranberry sauce on it. Cream cheese and deli turkey rounded out the sandwich. I was sadly disappointed in my choice of food and restaurant. I've never seen or eaten a non grilled sandwich with butter smeared on the outside bread! I ate what I could of this disappointing sandwich!

I went to the counter and explained that non grilled means plain bread without butter spread on the outside bread. I was informed all sandwiches are pre-made. Everything is grilled. I didn't received an answer when I asked why the menu board doesn't explain that all sandwiches are grilled. Yet while eating I saw the cook open a new loaf of bread to prepare sandwiches?

Do yourself a favor, if you don't want a grilled sandwich, go elsewhere ever though the view is lovely from the café.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The sandwiches were quite disappointing. Terrible taste combinations, hard bread, not the best cut of pork/meat. We tried 3 different kinds and were not impressed.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had lunch there with a friend and my daughter. The pricing is good and the sandwiches are great. The bread is tasty and everything is served heated. My daughter and I had a grilled cheese and our friend had the fruit and cheese plate and salad. Everything tasted fresh and the portions were good. The only odd thing was they didn't have mayo which my daughter wanted but she ordered the grilled cheese instead and loved it.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

This is a super casual spot owned by Brian Voltaggio, runner up in Bravo's Top Chef competition a few years ago. His other two restaurants in Frederick are more upscale. By design, this one is a casual cafe where customers can get healthy, delicious homemade soups, salads, and unique sandwiches. A terrific place for a quick lunch. A number of people call ahead and use carryout during the workday. Prices are reasonable too.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

We have enjoyed several lunches at Lunchbox and are always impressed with how great the sandwiches taste.