“Road Meal”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 423 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We found this restaurant through a NY Times article. It is a little off the main route and the article said it was a local favorite. It is in an old car dealership building.
We had no difficulty finding it. We were seated almost immediately and the waitress was prompt. The NYT article said the Pot Pie Fritter appetizer was really - they were right! Little balls that were deep fried on the outside and filled with pot pie on the inside. Yum!
They serve their own brand of soda - I had the root beer and it was very good.
I had the Mac & cheese appetizer and my wife had a salad (on trips we try to keep our meals small since we are sitting all day). Both were very good.
We will strongly consider going back on our next trip to this area.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Three of us enjoyed our sandwiches (waygu pastrami, prime rib steak and cheese) and the appetizers (tuna tartar, chicken pot pie bites) and duck fat french fries. It was a nice and interesting selection on the menu and we'd order everything again. However, I would have likes more chicken pot pie bites in the order, 5 little bites were just not enough!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The fried chicken was nothing to write home about and having been on a quest for several years since they closed all of the "chicken in the rough" restaurants, I was hoping for better. The ambience is terrible. This is really a "family" place -- noisy, messy and tables are crowded too close together. Great for the after kid's games crowd, I guess. Would not go back.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Ok, they are trying hard. Unlike some reviewers, we found the staff to be friendly and eager to please. Our waitress did a great job during a busy lunch on a weekend and helped guide us patiently through the new menu choices (they have dumped the greasy salted brussel sprouts apparently). Chicken pot fritters were delicious but the serving small just as everyone says and, yup, prices are pretty high for everything at this diner even if its upscale.

Our mains were not great. Duck fat fried potatoes had no real flavor, we left half uneaten. The fried chicken was so-so, you can find far better elsewhere (even Popeyes & KFC are superior to this soggy not crispy bird). Biscuits lacked kick or flavor despite dotted with jalapenos. An adult milkshake with booze was good.

I would not make a special trip to drive to Frederick to eat here. But if I was in the neighborhood, yeah, I might go again. The place needs more pizzazz and color inside as its brown and dreary and looks like what it was a defunct auto dealership.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife had been to Family Meal for lunch and loved it, so after a movie we decided to get an early dinner there. At 5pm on a Saturday you can just walk in, but by the time we left a bit after 6pm there were only a few tables left.

If you are looking for low fat/healthy food - don't go here. Most everything is fried, including the Brussels sprouts. I had a chopped salad, and even that included salami. My wife had the clam chowder and those Brussels sprouts, and the Duck Fat fries - loved all three but the fries are enough for 3 people. I had the crab cake sandwich, which was very good, but it came with more fries - fried in canola oil, not duck fat. We did a taste taste - the Duck Fat fries are noticeably tastier, but that probably just means they clog your arteries faster.

Service was mixed - the water boys filled our glasses every time they got down half an inch, but our waitress was rarely to be seen and the main dishes came out at seemingly random intervals.

The restaurant is what was once a car dealerships and the ambiance is pretty car dealership-like. We were full and didn't do dessert, but the dessert menu had some tasty sounding artery cloggers, too.

I'd go back, but if you went back too often they would have to rub the door jambs with duck fat so that you could get in and out.