“Cool place, ok service, cool take on foods” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 398 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Hackettstown NJ
“Cool place, ok service, cool take on foods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stopped here on our way up 15 from VA to NJ. From the outside it looked very different and cool. When we went inside we felt the same way. Very opened eating area but reminded me of a diner in some ways. Our waitress was very nice but she did not come and check on us enough in my opinion. They had yummy sodas. :-) We had the duck fat French fries and the 3 sauces that came with them and they were very good! Then 2 of us had the biscuits and gravy with a egg my egg was a little under cooked i wanted over hard and I got over medium but I was ok with. The biscuits were delish but the gravy could have been a little more flavorful. The gravy had chunks of sausage the was good. The other 2 got the omelets with onions and goat cheese and both enjoyed them. Overall different just wish the service was a little better from our waitress.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Ijamsville, Maryland
“One of the Best Diners in America!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I travel all over the country for work and love to eat at diners. This is one of the best in my opinion and lucky for me, its near where I live. First of all, this is a diner, with diner type food; not a cheaper version of Volt, which I think some people set their expectations to expect something similar. The food at this place is comfort type of food, with an upscale twist that you can't find anywhere else. Breakfast is outstanding here and brings me back at least twice a month. One of the dishes that I've eaten here is scrambled eggs over short ribs with a corn type patty, that is outstanding. Their egg sandwich, with chorizo sausage and honey mustard sauce on a croissant, as well as their french toast are outstanding. For lunch and dinner, the fried chicken and cheese burgers are outstanding; probably one of the best burgers I've had with comparable burgers at The Pub and BLT Burger, both in Las Vegas. Deserts are really good as well with their home made marshmallow topping that is a nice touch. The service is excellent here, with very personable, attentive young waiters and waitresses. Long story short, don't expect Volt, which is another outstanding place, but if you want some really good everyday diner food, with great service, you can't go wrong. This place is a gem.

Md
“A nice place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

One of the Volltaggio restaurants in Maryland, and in my estimation much better than Range in Chevy Chase.

The decor is simple with lots of windows but in a nondescript neighborhood so not much to look at. The kitchen is fairly open so easy to see what is going on, with a well dressed crew on both sides of the counter.

The food was excellent for lunch and we wished we could have tried more of the plates, but will definitely venture back!

Frederick, Maryland
“Upscale but Relaxed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Family Meal offers a menu developed by one of the region's top chefs in a comfortable, casual environment. The ambiance is tasteful and elegant but in a way that you feel comfortable showing up in jeans and perhaps even flip flops. The cuisine while down home and simple with items such as fried chicken and biscuits is so exceptional you will enjoy surprising out of town guests with the rich and savory interpretations of these home style classics. Even just relaxing and enjoying a game at the bar you might lose track of the game do to the almost transcendental experience of their duck fat fries and delicious house sauces. The prices are a little bit above your average franchise family restaurant the food leaves me willing to pay much more.

Visited September 2013
“Great Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I didn't try anything fancy at this restaurant, but the chicken sandwich with onions and some sort of cheese was really good. Even later when my husband ate the leftover half, he loved it. This place doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is a very modern, slick interior. I highly recommend this place for lunch!