“Best Onion Soup I've ever had!”
Review of Family Meal

Family Meal
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 409 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Chef Voltaggio introduced a few new menu items at his Family Meal restaurant on Nov. 22. One of them was the French Onion Soup. This one item is worth going to this restaurant for! The croutons are cooked in duck fat - the soup has noticeable pieces of succulent beef short rib, the onions at perfect both in quantity and quality, the cheese is definitely not from individually wrapped slices (never understood why that's a selling point) - Upon serving, this bowl simply looks wonderful. The first spoonful tells you that creating this bowl of soup took time and attention until it was just right. In two words: Rich, Delicious!
Everything else we had, the Hoecakes with pimento and bacon, the Beet salad and the cheeseburger were also wonderful!
If you haven't been, you gotta go!

1  Thank Jon P

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Where to begin?!! Service was dreadful from the get-go. Our server did not know which drink was which (gin martini or vodka) let alone who ordered which drink. One martini ordered on the rocks came straight up. She took them all away and tried again (rather than leave the red and white wines, which a 3-year-old could have guessed right). Later, a server was kind enough to refill our water glasses - including adding water to one person's white wine! Maybe they should re-think using the same glasses for water and wine??? The meatloaf was so-so at best; the chicken and dumpling fritters were tasty, although one was packed with gristle. The pimento cheese appetizer was okay, nothing special. The Caesar kale salad was excellent and about the only item not sub-par. When it came to splitting the bill four ways, three of our party were charged one-sixth the total, and the fourth person was charged half. While I'd like to think this was just bad night at Family Meal, one in our party had had a prior bad experience - and we wanted to give them a second chance. What a mistake - never again!!

2  Thank janelord
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Frederick always surprises me with its eclectic food and shops. I was with a group of women and asked a group of shoppers where we should go...they all said "Family Meal" quickly. we went.
interesting.
Absolutely bland decor. I suppose that was purposeful. Nice, clean lines. Restaurant is an old building that has been updated nicely. It is clean and modern. Let's say they were minimalist - focusing on the food.
The scenic view is the tire center across the street...but I understand they can't do anything about that....so I'd like to see something more interesting than a large, plain, brown wall.
The food was good. The portions were small. I had the crab soup and it was just adequate and a small bowl for $8.99. I also enjoyed the poutine for $5.99.
My friends had the meatloaf. Small portion with a dollop of mashed potatoes on top. ok
It was good. I'm undecided if I would go again.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having just recently dined @ Family Meal, it's not what I expected or had heard about. Nice place overall, but the atmosphere and décor didn't in my opinion stand out as a family spot. I myself found it rather too open and cold. As far as the food, different, but nothing I'd write home about. I had the fried chicken which I've heard people rave about and found it to be rather bland at best, the brussel sprouts with bacon on the other hand were very good as well as the biscuits. They have meatloaf on the menu, and that I would like to try. The service was very good, but it's expensive dining to say the least. To me it's more a couples restaurant, not a diner as it's been described by other reviewers.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Sit the bar and enjoy a great meal an drink. My favorite app was the deviled eggs. The fried chicken is amazing. They take every day classic foods like meatloaf, chicken & waffles, burgers and eggs and add flavors you never have had before. We visit family in the area a few times a year and this will be on the list to go back to in the future.