“Predictable Freshness”

Baja Fresh
Ranked #146 of 424 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Saw the TV show Undercover Boss where they showed how Baja Fresh makes everything fresh in big containers (all the salsas, etc) and after that, I was a believer that this restaurant fits its name. My teens prefer this place over Chipotle just because the salsas are so delicious (and they're free along with the free tortilla chips you get!) If you want to get away from too many chip carbs, get your free ones and then get the meal in a bowl option. I got the Pork Carnitas over rice and beans with sauteed veggies. Really good and enough to take home for lunch the next day. Not a super cheap place but semi-reasonable. I got a great Groupon deal for $20 worth of food for $11. I gave it to my daughter as a birthday present and we used it to go out as a treat. Great idea for a gift!

1  Thank happynowyoga

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Opened in July of 2012, I visited this quick casual Mexican chain restaurant for the first time with my son in January 2014. The parking lot is not very big considering the popularity of this particular strip mall and its location across from the FSK mall. So, hopefully you'll be able to find a spot. Orders can be placed online or from a mobile app ahead of time for store pick up.

Once inside, we placed an order at the counter for a steak Diablo Burrito ($6.99), Chicken Veggie Bowl ($7.29), a regular drink ($1.79) and a large drink ($2.09). Our orders were supposed to come with free chips, but we weren't given any. Instead we sat down and watched other customers order and get served their complimentary chips. I had to go back to the counter (right in front of our table) and specifically ask for chips. This was especially disappointing since the complimentary chips were actually discussed between me and the employee at the time of ordering. Money was exchanged, a receipt was given, but no chips and off to the next customer in line who got their chips right after their financial transaction was complete. Hmm... apparently the wheel is spinning but the hamster fell off.

I took a plastic cup full of one of the complimentary salsas back to our table to dip my chips in. The salsa was extremely thin and runny. I went back and grabbed one of only a couple hot sauce bottles in the restaurant to use on my burrito. It really needed the hot sauce as it wasn't spicy and all I could really taste besides the tortilla were the black beans. The steak was tough, hard to chew, and had too much fat on it. I had to use a napkin a couple times to remove some inedible pieces from my mouth. My son didn't care for his selection either.

Baja Fresh was founded in Newbury Park, CA back in 1990. There's currently only about 250 stores worldwide. There were several of these stores in Montgomery County and Northern Virginia for at least a decade. Now in a prime location within a new building in Frederick by the mall, this store should be around for a good long time to come. For me, I'd rather go elsewhere for a quick burrito like California Tortilla, for example. They have better burritos and a vast variety of hot sauces to use in house unlike this place.

1  Thank NeoWasHere
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This was my third visit to this Baja Fresh location to pick up a carry-out dinner. This time I ordered their Fire-Grilled Skinny Chicken Bowl, and I added a couple of flavors from the salsa bar. The food was definitely fresh, full of flavor, and very tasty. The food order and pick-up process was quick and efficient; my order was filled in five minutes. The interior dining space consists of one open section with seating at regular and elevated tables. I am a fan of this chain because of the freshness of their food and because it is full flavored. This location delivers on all of that.

Been to Baja Fresh? Share your experiences!