“Good films, great prices!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
MDL Holiday Cinemas
Ranked #5 of 12 Fun & Games in Frederick
Ashburn, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good films, great prices!!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I'm old enough to remember when you didn't need to take out a loan to take the family to a movie on Saturday afternoon. I've just about given up going to the movies at all, but I wanted to take my grand kids to see "Frost". They had already seen it once, but when you're young it doesn't really matter. We didn't make it to their matinee so we paid a little more, but only about half of what the other theaters in town charge.. It is clean, the seats are comfortable, the picture and sound good, and the popcorn and other refreshments are affordable too. They had a great time, that means I had a great time too, and we'll definitely go back the next time we need to go to the movies.

Visited January 2014

Madison, Alabama
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Cheap and Huge”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I decided to catch a quick movie here since it was so close by. I wasn't sure what the cost of the ticket would be, so when I gave $10 and got back almost $5 back I was pleasantly surprised. Since it didn't look that great on the outside I was preparing myself to not expect much, but I must say that when I got into the theatre I couldn't believe how huge it was. I bet it could hold over 200 people. Seats were clean, no trash on the floor and the screen and sound were good. I will definitely go there again.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank kramn
Mt Airy, MD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“We will return again and again!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We have been going here for years because I just can't see paying almost $25 for a movie that I probably won't even like that much (my friends call me a movie snob but is it too much to ask to be wowed for 2 hours after paying that much?). So we go here and pay $4 (or $2.75 on a sat morning or Tuesday evening) for a second run movie. But the movies are barely out of the first run theatres before they come here! In fact, I have seen movies playing at MDL that are still in the big theatres. The staff is always friendly.

The cons? The concessions are overpriced as expected but I understand they need to make a buck somewhere. There is no stadium seating (it's $4 people!) and the theatres are showing their wear and tear (expected for an old theater). Sometimes I have to admit there can be a funky smell coming from the seats and the temperature ranges from downright chilly to hot (so I dress in layers).

Overall, I think this is a great value for your money and we almost always end up here on date night. We have recently started taking my boys here on Saturday mornings for $2.75. They can barely sit through a full length movie and if we have to leave, it's no big deal.

Visited December 2013
Frederick, Maryland
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“great place for 2nd run movies”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Movies have gotten way too expensive. I am just unwilling to pay $8 x 2 to see a movie with my lovely wife. We have been going to Holiday Cinemas for 20+ years. The seats aren't super plush, the movies aren't first run - but it all beats watching something at home on Netflix.

The theater is run by nice people who employ local kids.

You just can't beat it for movies. Check out their website or call to see what is showing.

Visited October 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best value for your money”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I love this movie house. The staff is always friendly and I don't feel like I have been robbed every time I want to see a movie. There is even a special room to rent ,for not much money, if you want to do a party. I think it is geared for birthdays, but I night out with the girls might be really fun. This movie house also has special pricing on Tuesdays,almost half off the less than five dollars the normally charge. Really, who gives you that much value for your money this days!

Visited September 2013

Been to MDL Holiday Cinemas? Share your experiences!