“Check out the brewery's events for a memorable visit”
Review of Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery
Ranked #11 of 52 things to do in Frederick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Want to experience where the malt meets the hop? Our tasting room is open Thursday through Sunday and reservations for our brewery tours are free on our website. Please note that no one under the age of 21, including babies and small children, is allowed on a tour or in the tasting room. Since you'll be touring a production area, closed-toe shoes are required. And in order to provide the best sensory experience, our brewery grounds are smoke-free.
Frederick, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Check out the brewery's events for a memorable visit”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Seen one brewery tour? You’ve seen them all. But Flying Dog offers special events, such as “Brewhouse Rarities Release Parties,” held the second Tuesday of the month. $5 for 5 tastes and a souvenir glass. Check the website for information. Set in a business park, hops grow up the side of the building. The there’s a patio off the tasting room, and a gift shop with all the standard merch. No food sales, but AKA Friscos (outstanding sandwiches and salads) is just a few hundred yards past the brewery.

1 Thank BraddockHikes

Bellmawr, New Jersey
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Tour of Flying Dog Brewery”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I Took a tour of the Flying Dog brewery while I was passing through Frederick MD.

You must book a tour in advance. When you get to the Brewery must show ID and pay the $5.00 fee which gets you a Flying Dog glass for yours to keep

The tour takes you through brewery. The day I went nobody was working in the brewery.

After the tour you get to taste 5 samples of Flying Dog beer.

1 Thank Kenny21NJ
Salisbury, Maryland
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“We want to drink beer, LET US DRINK BEER!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stopped here with an empty growler on a trip to Harper's Ferry the other day. I've seen enough stainless tanks and warehouses in our brewery travels, so we just stopped in to try the beers and fill a growler. The one gal informed me that the only way we could try samples is if we had signed up for the five dollar tour in advance. The next guy saw the look on my face, and told me that they had some cancellations for the 6:30 tour, and I explained to him that we just stopped in to top off the growler and maybe sample a couple of pints. Unfortunately due to stupid Frederick County legislation they're still unable to serve pints. He took pity on us and let us try a couple of samples so we could pick one out to fill our growler. It seems like every microbrewery we visit has some stupid laws or rules to deal with that always make it an inconvenience on their customer. Thanks for the beer, really dug the Horn Dog!

1 Thank Weezulman
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Interesting Tour and Great Tasting”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I can't believe I'm the first person to write a review for Flying Dog's Frederick location on TripAdvisor. I just went on the tour about a week ago and had a great time. If you like craft beer and are in the Frederick area, you can't go wrong with a visit to Flying Dog.

Tours are $5 and include a Flying Dog glass to take home and a tasting at the end of the tour. You have to schedule your visit ahead of time through a link on their website. I would recommend signing up as early as possible as their tours all seem to fill up. The tour we went on was great, there was a lot to see and they even had us sample beer at different stages of production throughout the tour. Our guide was also very knowledgeable and friendly.

The tasting after the tour was a lot of fun. The admission price for the tour gets you a bracelet with five tabs on it. There are more than a dozen Flying Dog beers on tap and you choose which ones you're interested in, trading a tab on your bracelet for a good-sized tasting of your selection. They have some interesting beers on tap that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.

Overall, it was a great visit. I'm really glad I went, and would definitely recommend a visit to any craft beer fans who find themselves in Frederick!

Visited July 2013