“Great Lunch in the Country!”
Review of Monocacy Crossing

Monocacy Crossing
Reserve with OpenTable
Monocacy Crossing is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 405 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Rockville, Maryland
“Great Lunch in the Country!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

There is something for all appetites on their menu and the prices are a plus. A large sandwich variety and great soups ... especially their soups of the day!! Presentation of the meals makes the food taste even better, the key is that the wait staff is outstanding! Attentive, friendly, and anxious to please. Plan to visit the Monocacy Crossing Civil War Memorial just a few miles away; it is worth the hour or two to discover another hidden treasure! An awesome way to spend an afternoon, right outside Frederick, MD.

• Visited May 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unexpected in all the best ways”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Old Route 355/Urbana Pike winds south from Frederick, crossing over the Monocacy River and curving past the Civil War battlefield nearby. The landscape remains largely rural, and it's easy along this twisting roadway to miss this unassuming restaurant, which appears at roadside unexpectedly, with little else around it. In this way I have blown by in my car a number of times, thinking I would stop one day and give it a try. Well, this past Saturday I finally went to dinner and it could not have been nicer. My companions and I took advantage of perfect spring weather and sat on the patio. A menu board advertised peach and strawberry sangria, which two of us ordered (the other got vodka - there is a full bar) while we studied an extraordinarily varied and innovative menu. We all ordered different things - as well as appetizers (the steamed muscles were perfection - not at all rubbery) - and everything was superb. Our fellow diners on the patio seemed just as relaxed and pleased as we were to be there. The staff could not be more welcoming - our waitress, Donna, was attentive and lovely. As much as I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant, I was not expecting such an excellent dining experience. I have no complaints and will look for the opportunity to return very soon!

Boston, Virginia
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This was our first time to Monocacy Crossing. We were a party of 8. Our server was friendly and attentive and knowledgeable. We started with duck nachos for the entire table - I didn't try them, as I don't care for duck, but the rest of the table seemed to enjoy them (except one person who took one bite and stopped eating them).

Regarding entrees - Two people at the table had one of the specials - an African(?) butter fish. One was so overcooked it was rubbery/hard/completely inedible. Displeasure was (pleasantly) expressed. The server seemed to not quite believe that it was inedible. She did take it off of the bill - and asked if he wanted a replacement meal (he did not, he ate the rice/snap peas and really just wanted the chef to know just how bad it was, assured her that it was not against her). The second order of butter fish was was still overcooked but edible.

Another person had 6oz Lobster Tail over Andouille Sausage Mac ‘n Cheese - she only could eat a few bites. She wasn't sure the mushy lobster was actually lobster and there was nothing that resembled, to her, mac 'n cheese - it was a mixture of pasta and orzo floating in tons of oil/grease with no discernible cheese. Because there was so much left, we did bring it home with us. My husband ate the leftovers - in small portions because of the huge amount of oil/grease - and agreed that calling it mac 'n cheese was highly misleading (he also could not find any cheese flavor or actual cheese?) - he agreed the lobster was mushy and odd tasting.

One of us ordered the Grilled New York Strip Steak with Shallot Butter - it disappeared quickly and was enjoyed. No complaints there. The server helpfully explained that the chef tends to undercook the meat, so that a medium might come out more like a medium rare. Nice to know there's a chef out there that doesn't overcook steak.

Another of us had Creamy Seafood Jambalaya over Dirty Rice - very rich. My husband felt there was way too much oil/grease, but still tasty enough to bring home and be eaten up for leftovers.

The Potato Gnocchi with Pork and Veal Bolognese came with barely visible gnocchi - the diner had to hunt for it. The dish was mostly the bolognese which - though tasty - left her disappointed as she had been very eager to have the gnocchi. Alas, the gnocchi that she found were delicious. She also found the suggested Rutherford Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon to be a good pairing.

Another of us had the jerk marinated cornish hen with citrus dressed plaintains - very much enjoyed.

I was very disappointed with the crab cakes topped with Old Bay aioli. The two crab cakes were generous in size and came nicely crisped and did have a nice touch of hot spice to them - but, to my taste, had mostly bready filling and the crab used was some kind of brownish stringy crab rather than lump crab. Unappealing to me. But, I did take the second one home and my husband ate it up. He agreed it not a particularly appealing crab cake (especially priced at $28).

Everyone who had the rice and sugar snap peas on their plates as sides agreed the rice was some of the best rice as a side we've had - and the snap peas cooked perfectly.

Desserts: I had a delicious espresso. The Grand Marnier creme brulee was good. Their signature dessert, made by the chef's mother, the coconut pound cake served warm was truly delicious. It is very very very sweet though. We shared it, brought some home, and gobbled it up later.

The place has an odd feel - it presents itself as an upscale gourmet restaurant with linens and the offerings on the menu, yet we look up at the ceiling to see boards partly hanging down/peeling; watch the floor wobble as a normal sized person walks across it; a side board behind us was covered in thick layers of dust with finger prints all through it with randomly left ribbons/glassware, a repository for junk left out in the corner of a dining room?; and then the dusty cobwebby ladies room. At first glance, it seems very nice but once you're sitting there and looking around, the shabbiness reveals itself. It seems quite over priced. So out of 8 entrees, there were no complaints about the the jambalaya, the cornish hens, and the grilled NY strip steak. The gnocchi was determined to be delicious with the caveat that there were barely any gnocchi present in the copious amount of bolognese (did they run out). The other 4 entrees, for the price, were far from stellar...

olney
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This should be an absolute must if you're in the area of Frederick, Maryland. There cannot be enough words to describe the excellence of this restaurant. Not only is the food superb, but the wait staff goes above and beyond to make your visit a very pleasant one. If you are a true conniseur of food, this is the place to go. You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank Kathy B
Roanoke, Virginia
“Worth It”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Our group of 20 had a terrific time. When we arrived at 6PM on a Wednesday evening we were promptly seated in a charming and quiet room and immediately offered drinks. My draft porter was full flavored and quite unusual. This turned out to be the pattern repeated throughout the evening with all of our food orders; delicious with a twist. My rock fish was well coked and seasoned; the rice and snow pea sides were just as tasty as the entree. Reports from around the table consistently included praise for the creativity and flavor of the food.

• Visited March 2013