“Mixed bag of good and bad”
Review of Hard Times Cafe - Frederick - CLOSED

Hard Times Cafe - Frederick
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: We are famous for our chilis: Texas, Terlingua, Cincinnati, and Vegetarian. Voted best wings in DC. Great for families - kids eat free on Sunday!Sports bar offers all the games all the time. Billiard tables and darts. Free pool everyday from 11am to 5pm with minimum purchase.
Reviewed 25 January 2014

There was a band playing and a "greeter" at the counter to collect our money. He should be called the frowner, not greeter. Not a smile or gesture. We wanted to shoot pool but had to wait what seemed forever for the drunk patron to move so the (obviously) only worker could take our information and get us set up to play. The balls kept getting stuck in the pockets when we played so had to keep pulling them out for new games. And I'm sure the table was cockeyed. When it was time to leave, the "greeter" was unable to help us. We had to search around to point out our waitress. After doing so, he said he couldn't help us and just stood there. So I had to chase our server from area to area to get her attention. I gave up as she was moving faster than me and went back. I pointed to her and asked if he could get her since she seemed to be in a server-only area. He said sorry, he couldn't leave where he was standing. So I went over to the area, finally got her attention, and we started to walk back to check out. As we were walking back, I noticed the "greeter" walk away to go talk to some people. So much for not being able to leave. The chili was disappointing. Tasted like a container of salt was poured on it, and it had my stomach upset all night. Very disappointing. The only good thing was seeing the 1 server attending to everyone timely and the drinks were OK. Not sure I'll ever go back.

1  Thank MelGho
Lynnmd, Owner at Hard Times Cafe - Frederick, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I was very concerned with your experience and appropriate action was taken to mitigate this in the future. The cue servers now carry pagers that allow us to notify them when their attention is needed. Again, thank you for your feedback as it helps us continually improve our service.

-Patti

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I grew up going to the Hard Times in Montgomery County but now that I'm in Frederick I am excited Hard Times is here! There Chilis are great and all beef and uncrowed from beans and chunks of tomato. They offer beans as an add in! Chili Mac, Chili Dogs, Wings, Chicken Alamo, etc. all good! They also sell their chili seasonings! Plus they have darts and pool tables!!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Had lunch here recently with my son. I had the veg and Cincinnati chile--a little greasy (I was told that one can order it drier). My son had a huge salad. We enjoyed the service--very attentive and kept drinks filled. We will return!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had dinner at Hard Times a few nights ago, and had a good time. The Cincinati was, as always, delicious, and our waitress was attentive, and very interested to know what we thought of the food.

We also tried the corndog nuggets, which weren't bad, but I'm not sure if we'll order them again in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Some reviewers complain that it is not kid friendly, too much of a bar scene. Well, yes. Half the place is a sports bar, so if there's a big game going on or if you go on a weekend night you're going to be there with the bar crowd. But for an afternoon meal it is usually uncrowded and very kid-friendly. We've never had an issue with that because we go at non-bar times. We've even enjoyed playing the games they have in the back when it's not busy.

Food is great. We love all of their chilis. I especially love putting the chili vinegar on the fries. Yum! Kids menu is kind of blah, like most kid menus. But kids eat free on a certain day so that's nice. Since it's a chili place with mostly greasy food you'll likely leave with indigestion. So take some Tums!