“Excellent Sushi”

Roppongi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #175 of 407 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I was very pleased with the sushi at Roppongi, aka Best Sushi. I had a spider roll, which was a very plump roll, along with a yellowtail roll and a shrimp tempura roll. I also had some misago sushi (smelt roe). Everything was delicious and the service was good. I'll return if I'm in the area.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Our waitress was reallybad. Greeted us with what do u want to drink? Knew nothing about what was in certain rolls and made no attempt to find out. Never refilled drinks. Ate 5 rolls are all were good. Little hole in the wall place, typical decor no music.

Reviewed 26 November 2009

I'm sad to say Frederick isn't a sushi town. Most Japanese places are of the steak house variety, except for the merely adequate Hinode - the same as the one in Bethesda and Rockville, except they dumbed down the menu for Frederick diners! The sign for Roppongi reads "Frederick's Best Sushi" and I would concur, although it's not a very hard honor to claim.

The food is actually pretty good (portions are rather small, thereby affecting the overall value), but the service is.. let's just call it strange. I can't say I've ever felt super welcome in this place. Others have complained about slow service, but at least I haven't experienced that. The matriarch of the family that owns it is by far the friendliest one there, but her English is very limited so it's hard to communicate with her. It's a small restaurant but could use a makeover to make it a little more appealing.

Overall, the food isn't outstanding, but is perfectly fine. It's the overall feel of the restaurant that doesn't make it among the tops of my Frederick list. When I want sushi, I head straight to Yuraku in Germantown or Momo Taro in Rockville- Frederick just doesn't cut it, much to my dismay.

2  Thank hawknoah
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Awesome sushi. Good Service. its not close to market st.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Very good sushi. Hidden away in an abandoned shopping center, this place is a hidden treasure for the sushi lover.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook