“Great tasting food and excellent owner interaction”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lodge - CLOSED

The Lodge
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to the Lodge, a restaurant filled with rustic charm that evokes images of the Pacific Northwest's open ranges and untouched natural beauty. The great outdoors is not just seen in our interior craftsmanship,but inspires our entire menu. Our food is all natural and all American,and the menu offers a plentful harvest of fresh meats, produce and grains directly from your local farms. Experience a better organic burger, bison, wagyu, elk, wild boar, kangaroo and lamb-the way nature intended it: fresh and free of hormones and steroids. It's all reminiscent of a time when you had to hunt and gather your own food the day you ate it-"form farm to fork" as we like to say. YOu can feel good at The Lodge because it's delicious and it's good for you. So gather your family and friends, cozy to the fireplace, and eat well-because we brought the great outdoors indoors just for you!
Frederick, MD
“Great tasting food and excellent owner interaction”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I decided to try the lodge for my son's birthday since he and I share a taste for trying different types of food. This restaurant serves a selection of lamb, elk, bison, and kangaroo meats. There were 6 of us in the party and when we arrived, we found it not accommodating for larger parties. There was 1 table that could seat all of us together and that was occupied. We did have the option of one of their large booths but thought that would be uncomfortable for 6 adults and a baby in a carrier. We ended up with 4 in a booth and 2 at a nearby table. Either that or wait forever. The downside was the lack of an area to wait for a table. The entryway is small or you sit outside and wait. Also, the host and hostess were horribly off on wait time estimates. The MAJOR plus to this restaurant is the owner's attention to the tables and explanation of where the meats are from. The lamb steak I ate wasn't overly seasoned and was VERY tasty! All the food was and the prices were not outrageous. The food came out quickly and accurately to our requests. The bar drink specials were pricey. But, I should have known since the prices were not listed. The check at the end was not correct and had to be corrected 2 times. I think it was due to our server being new. I think once the growing pains and newness kinks are worked out, this will be an outstanding place to eat. It is a great place to eat as is. Just the workers are a bit too new at what they do.

• Visited April 2014

Frederick, MD
“Abundant fresh greens.”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We were looking for salads and Frederick's newest Westview offering, The Lodge didn't disappoint. Sat at the bar (very lodgy with big overstuffed stools - not terribly comfortable really) covered in skins. Cocktails were well made and the bartender a darling gal. Appetizer of bunless sliders of bison, elk, and kangaroo (really) were a good, high protein choice. We then had salads. Mine just loaded with fresh greens and plenty of chicken, egg, avocado, sunflower seeds, and probably something I've forgotten was fabulous. My friend had something similar with blue cheese and was quite pleased. We didn't do dessert, but might another time. Good music at the bar, too.

• Visited April 2014
“In for sampling of game meat burgers”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Read about new restaurant in town, figured I give it a try.
Started with alligator bites appetizer, very good, best I've every had.
Ordered trio burger, 3 different meats...bison, elk and wagyu. All were great, cooked just right. Next up was their grizzly burger; bison burger, cheese, bacon and topped with wild boar brisket. WOW...can't say enough....great burger. Boar was very close to tasting like beef brisket. Then came their special duck burger another hit (little over cooked) but very good. I had to try the kangaroo burger...amazing and tasty. None of these game meats was off or gamey. Met with owner and Erik is a great guy. I got to sample his homemade brisket for St. Patties day, again he has this place nailed. Everything was awesome; I'll be back for sure.

Spokane, Washington
“Kangaroo Burger Was Great!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I went to The Lodge with some family members a few weeks ago and ordered the Kangaroo burger with the remoulade sauce and I enjoyed it very much! I ordered it medium rare, and it was very tasty and juicy. Since I have already eaten many of the meats offered there - alligator, elk, bison, lamb, etc., I wanted to try something new and I was glad I did. For my side dishes, I ordered the salad and the steamed carrots and broccoli. Both were fresh and full of flavor. Because I love anything made with truffles, I ordered the appetizer parmesan truffle french fries. The flavor was great, but the fries, while being fresh cut, were very soggy. Other folks in my party ordered the elk, the crab cakes and the kangaroo and everyone enjoyed their meals. Our waitress was very friendly, polite, and attentive. I would recommend The Lodge to others and I am sure I will go back again. I have heard that one should go early because they run out of many of the wild game meats including the kangaroo burger, so go early if you go and enjoy!

• Visited March 2014
Frederick, Maryland
“Disappointed...but will try again maybe”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It's not the whole story but most of it. I went specifically for the game meat burger and, of course, they ran out. I wanted the kangaroo burger with the bleu cheese but they ran out so I got the wagyu...which is nothing to shake a stick at. They had alligator bites appetizer which was pretty good. I've read and heard that they often run out of what they advertise. I feel like they should say all their game meats are subject to availability. I would call before hand if there is something specific you want so you don't get there, like me, and they don't have it. I also think they were understaffed when I came because the bartender, which may have been one of the owners, waited on me...and I continued to wait on her. Not good service mainly due to a huge party that came in is my guess. The owner was walking around a little bit and seemed to spend most of his time with the big party. My guess is that he was friends with them. Also the booth was pretty small and barely fit.

• Visited February 2014