“Too dirty for me to stay again”

Best Western Historic Frederick
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 September 2009

It looks great from the street, but this hotel is dirty and not well maintained. The rooms are very small and the walls are paper thin. Used some of my clothes to wrap the pillows so I could sleep clean. Bathrooms were small and dirty. Personnel was not accommodating to my physical needs and rude about it. We had paid for these rooms months ago and it was nonrefundable. If I could, I would ask for a refund. Never stay here again, and since our grandchild lives here, we will be back to the area, but never at this Best Western.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Our tour bus used this hotel as one of our 3 Days 2 Nights Tour from NYC to Philly/DC/Niagra. Nice room with fridge and microwave and that is a BIG RELIEF as we are able to store fresh milk in fridge. Negative thing is that our bathroom light DIDN'T WORK and call front desk and was told will take the techinician 20 or so min to come and fix it. We arrived around 10:30 pm and really have no time to wait, who knows the 20 min might turn into hour. So, decided to call front desk not to bother for the night but PLEASE MAKE SURE that the light bulb is fixed for the next guest who used this room after we left.
Breakfast started at 6:30 am and our tour leaving at 7 am and since we are tour group, the free breakfast not available to our group and we were told that we had to pay 410 per person just to enjoy the 1/2 hour breakfast and I think none of our tour group member took up the breakfast offer. Still would recommend this hotel to others due to having fridge and microwave in the room when we travel with young children plus the free breakfast if we didn't stay here as a big tour group.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My girlfriend and I had a wedding to attend in downtown Frederick and chose to stay here for its location. The room was better than expected. We had a king size bed, and we both agreed that it was the softest and most comfortable bed of any hotel that we ever stayed at. The room was very clean and unlike some reviews, we found our bathroom to actually be larger than most hotels that we stayed at. The location was great, it was only a five minute cab ride from the hotel to the downtown area. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FSUgrad09
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Room was very nice. Front desk lady called room and tried to say our room was not properly reserved, I think she wanted us to leave (found out later a tour bus was coming in). Lucky I had my reservation paperwork! Breakfast was packed full of tour bus people one day with all their luggage, swooping in and eating everything before breakfast time was over, with no one to refresh the meal offered. Front desk people were not friendly. Room was really nice, a good place to rest.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jlundypgc
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here for a friend's wedding in Frederick. The reviews are true - the bathrooms are on the small side with a shower/tub combo + toilet. The sink is in a separate vanity area outside the main bathroom. The bed and pillows were comfortable, and the room was clean. The fridge is also good sized - not as small as you sometimes see. We ended up in a room with a door to an adjoining room; while the locks looked secure, we could hear everything from conversations to TV programs coming from the other room. If you end up with this, ask to be switched to another room. We had to ask for an extra pillow when we arrived (our King bed only had three) - I called the front desk and was on hold for 5-8 min before I gave up and walked down to talk to the person manning the front desk, and the day of our friend's wedding the room still had not been cleaned as of 2pm even though we stayed the previous night. To be fair we were able to get clean towels when we called the front desk, and a maid came within 10 min to get the room squared away so we could get ready. All of this can be reasonably explained since the hotel was at capacity the weekend we stayed, and the staff was clearly overextended. That being said, we were less than pleased with the 4am fire alarm the first night we stayed that was caused by a staff member at the hotel. I checked at the front desk before leaving the building and the night staff member explained that it was because of the waffle iron... I can't think of a reason why the waffle iron would be in use at 4am except for personal use by the hotel staff. When my friends called down to the front desk to see about the alarm, the same staff member answered "Krispy Kreme" - needless to say this one person is not representative of the entire staff. Overall, we were pleased with the room, breakfast was pretty good, and the rooms are not too expensive. We would consider staying here again if in Frederick. PS. If you do stay here, keep an eye out for the hotel sign - it's rather small.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel in early May, 2009. My room was clean, had no odor, a large king bed, cable TV, and plenty of room to sit and read or write. There was a complimentary continental breakfast which was simple but satisfactory. The location off the interstate was convenient and not particularly noisy. The price, and the service, were both great.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I stayed for a week and the service is really good and the people are very polite. The room are confortable and even mine has a refrigerator and a microwave. The only thing was the bathroom is way too small. I big person can't get into the bathroom. I think the distribution of the space is wrong.
The breakfast is good and the value of the room is reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business