“avoid at all costs”

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
cleveland
“avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

Booked on priceline, and traveling with my 4 month old. The hotel told me that all priceline customers get the smoking rooms in the hotel. Yes, that is right, we got punished with a smoking room (which had dirty ashtrays BTW) because we used priceline. They would not switch us to a nonsmoking room. It was so bad, and so dirty and stinky, we left and found another hotel.

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2007

The staff seemed friendly at check in, and we didn't try the breakfast, although it appeared reasonably priced. If noise is an issue for you, find somewhere else. You are on a highway so there is some road noise and the kid with ADD next door might as well have been in bed with us. However, once he was settled down (or restrained) we managed to sleep well. NOTE: This is not the Holiday Inn - Frederick that you see right off of 270 when you are headind North from D.C., which is a hotel/conference center.

Booked on Hotwire for $49, so hard to complain, however Hotwire ranks this as a 3 star when in my book, no motel (access from parking lot, not interior corridor) should be over a two star rating. I would not have stayed here otherwise, due to safety concerns of such facilities, but overall the place seemed okay.

• Stayed September 2007
2 Thank baxwelll
Astoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2007

This hotel was rated as a 3 star but in reality it's more along the lines of a Super 8.

The rooms are dark, carpets stained and worn, furniture was covered with iron burn marks and also very worn.

Hotwire told us the price included breakfast but we were told by the hotel staff that "You don't get breakfast since you booked with Hotwire". Since many of the hotel rooms are being renovated, I suspect we were given the old and dingy rooms also because we booked using Hotwire.

The price wasn't terrible but if I had to do it all over again I'd stay with a newer and better managed 2 star hotel.

• Liked — Room was quiet
  • Disliked — Small, sagging beds.
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Frederick hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

This was rated a three star hotel by Hotwire--I'd give it a two star rating. Construction is going on, so maybe improvements will be made. The check in process (due to staff) was awkwardly unprofessional. The outside concrete stairs to the floor of our room were crumbling on the edges and seemed pretty unsafe. Our room basics were fairly clean, but definitely not so in the corners and details of things. The mattresses were weak and sagging. I would definitely not consider staying here again--even at the low Hotwire price we got.

• Liked — Convenience to what we were visiting.
  • Disliked — Condition of room and hotel.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Thousand Oaks, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2007

We booked two nights through Priceline and after going to the room we had to request another room because there was no hot water and the bedspread looked quite soiled. We were moved to another room which turned out to be even worse. We could not use the shower as there was no hot water available that night or the next morning. Hotel seems to be undergoing some major renovations. The outside walkways leading to the rooms looked in need of some updating and cleaning up as well as the rooms. We checked out the next morning and booked a room at the Sleep Inn which was much cleaner and newer and we did not have the same issues. I would not stay here and cannot understand the reviews posted since our experience was so different.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — No hot water and dirty blankets
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank teeniedeenie
Hampton, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2006

This hotel is right off route 15 so it was easy to get to. The room was great, clean, well stocked and has beautiful furniture. The front desk called shortly after check in to make sure everything was ok, then later that evening the manager called. There was no water in the soda machine and I mentioned this to him, shortly after, he was knocking on my door with two bottles of water.
I am Priority Club so I did receive a discount on dinner and breakfast the next morning. I had dinner at the hotel and was not impressed, the food was mediocre but the prices were out of this world. The Director of Sales had to serve because the server was late although he was very attentive, it did not make up for the rotten strwberries that garnished my dinner plate. For breakfast they forgot to turn on th burner to keep the food hot on the buffet , at $10.95 per person, the eggs and breakfast potatoes were ice cold. It took about half an hour for another serving to come out.
As I stated the hotel itself was great, the staff went out of their way, and I would deifintely stay here again. However, I will be looking for another place to eat.

• Liked — The staff went out of their way to accomodate
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — do not eat in the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hampton_traveler
Benicia, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2005

I stayed in the hotel for two nights in October, so didn't get to use the pool (closed) but it met my needs very well. I chose it based on location and got it through the internet for a major bargain.

As another reviewer said, the exterior corridors are sub-par but the room itself was very comfortable and I was pleasantly surprised to have a small fridge/microwave in the room. Also, the furniture (with the big pine armoire/closet and the coffee unit inside) provided some nice ambiance.

The staff was excellent. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. I didn't use the restaurant because I had friends in the area and we ate elsewhere. We'd been to Frederick in 2004 so I was very pleased to be located in this central area near Highways 70 and 15. Convenient to everything.

Also, Holiday Inn seems to be focusing on customer service these days so they have a program where you can choose your own type of pillow. But, the pillows and bed provided were so good, it was fine with me.

I only had two problems and it's interesting to see other reviewers comments, regarding group gatherings. Weddings and reunions? I stayed there on Saturday and Sunday night and on Saturday around midnight, the room next door was taken over by extremely loud, raucous people and it woke me up and they didn't stop for an hour or so. This was the room with a lock-out door into my room. So, it's possible this hotel specializes in "events" and maybe the sound-proofing isn't so good? Something to pay attention to on week-ends, in case you want to sleep.

The other "problem" was that the tub was very slippery and there was no bathmat. I almost fell. Not a comfortable shower. Other than that, I enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005