“The price is right .... but it's the little things”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Frederick
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
torrance
“The price is right .... but it's the little things”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

OK ... this place is having growing pains. I believe it was previously a Holiday Inn Express, got bought out, and is still being remodeled.
Our first room (245) had a King bed but had very little room to move around. The key didn't work in the back door (it was fine after they reprogrammed it), the phone in the room didn't work (only needed it to call the desk), the wi/fi was very slow (but functional) , and room service couldn't seem to get the towel count right. 3 nights later we moved to a room with twin queens (226). The room was very big and everything was in order.
The lobby computer was useless while I was there. The processor was totally hung up as if infected with a virus. All I wanted to do was print some boarding passes, but couldn't. One morning a Rugby Team staying there completely cleared out the breakfast supplies.
Having said all that, would I stay again? Yes. The rooms were clean, the beds/pillows were very comfortable, the location is convenient, the area was quiet, and (most importantly) the price was right. The "nits" I mentioned could have easily been "one time events".

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kk572

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Good: I was hesitant booking this hotel from the reviews, but the bed's comfort was a surprise; it was so comfortable in the room, we added a night to our stay; it was ridiculously cheap on PL Express Deals; the hotel was recently remodeled, so it feels like a nicer hotel. The options in Frederick are over-priced, so this is a good option.

Bad: We tried to add a night to our reservation through the front desk - it was $111. The straight price on PL was $90. We bid on it and got it for about $60. I would have rather given my money directly to the hotel, but not for nearly twice the price. Other guests are right, you can really hear the other guests slamming doors. Also, the AC was loud at times.

Ugly: Parking on the first night was absolutely ridiculous. The lot was full due to construction trailers, as well as a tractor trailer parked sideways, taking up many spots. There were a number of cars having to circle the lot waiting for an open space. The front desk's answer? "Park along the perimeter, in the fire line and in the handicapped spots. I've already been told about the tractor trailer that is taking up nine spots." Are you serious? Since it was our only option, we avoided the fire lane and handicapped spots and parked in front of the fire hydrant. By the time we were out of the car, other vehicles claimed the handicapped spot and the fire lane. Thankfully, there wasn't a fire.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vagabond_Yogini
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

It was a good experience, considering the price. My only complaint was that it was too easy to hear people shutting their room doors. Having said that, I could not hear anyone talking in the rooms next to me and could not hear any outside noise.

The hotel has been remodeled. It is clean and convenient. I did not have the breakfast but I did take a look see and it looked good.

I would stay here again when visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed for one night while traveling. Close to expressway, plenty of parking, near lots of restaurants. Great rate, OK breakfast, easy to find at night. Very welcoming of well-behaved dogs. In room WiFi worked fine, but the router had the name of a different hotel. Not a problem, but a bit confusing. "Business Center" computer in lobby great for printing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jacht42
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recently made a trip to Frederick "spur of the moment" due to a family emergency. The area was pretty full. We were pleased to stay at the Country Inn & Suites. Their rooms were just over $80 per night including taxes. We thought that was very affordable.

The hotel was recently converted and advertised as "under construction". Aside from some large dumpsters out back I would never have known. Our room looked very nice and the hallways and lobby/ breakfast area was very nice. We stayed at the Main Stay a few years ago when they were being renovated and most of the carpet and trim were missing. Plus there were construction curtains covering some of the hallways. But Country Inn was very nice and I would recommend a stay even during this renovation period.

The room was a little small for us. I am sure it is a nice size. But we have 3 small children and all the accessories that go along with them. So floor space was quite a premium. We would stay again if we traveled without the kids.

Room Tip: The website reservation currently only lists "accessible rooms" as a room type. These roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
MARYLAND
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Frederick for work this week. The room was wonderful, clean, king bed, flat screen tv, most important for me sheets on the top and the bottom of the blanket so you never have to touch the blanket. The smell of breakfast wafting into my room as if mom had cooked it and after I got ready I could come to the kitchen and eat. No cooking involved. I had my dog with me and she was welcomed with open arms.
Everything about my experience at this hotel was great. There are things unfinished, there is a whole section of rooms still being updated but I never heard a bit of construction. Of course, I left for work in the mornings. I would stay their again, no questions asked.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MAGGIESFARM
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Not the usual Country Inn that I'm accustomed to. I understand that this hotel just converted on Feb 1st from a Holiday Inn Express. Stayed three nights recently, and all I'll say is just be patient with the conversion. No business centre, and the in room Wi-Fi didn't work for two full days, the breakfast wasn't what I've been used to when staying at a Country Inn. Thank God there was a Bob Evans right next door. My room was so so, not the usual Country Inn standards that I've enjoyed previously. But heh I'm a patient person and I know things take time. Hopefully by the time I revisit Frederick things will be a bit better. Stay tuned.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business