“Nice lobby, dated and worn rooms”

Clarion Inn Frederick Event Center
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
Middletown, New Jersey
“Nice lobby, dated and worn rooms”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Upon arriving was impressed with hotel lobby, large, grand and welcoming. Hotel property is large, with lots of rooms. Upon entering room was surprised at all old features, TV, beds, bathroom, heating/cooling unit and thermostat. Felt I was in the 90's. I booked via online discount hotel site, so got a rate of 69 dollars, which was fair for the property. If I would have paid the walk in rate of 124 dollars I would have been really bummed out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Walter B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 August 2011

All staff pleasant, accommodating, friendly, always smiling. We were especially impressed with the staff at the morning buffet breakfast. They were so attentive and all made us feel very welcome and it was a very refreshing experience. We will go back and are looking forward to it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LOU631947
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I wished I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Made HUGE mistake taking Expedia's offer to take an unkown 3 star hotel at a discount. NEVER take that offer. This hotel is a DUMP and to make matters worse, our checkout folio showed Expedia was only paying 50% what we paid them for the room. HUGE RIP OFF. The two star hotels in the area are MUCH nicer. Flat out, this hotel is worn down and relies too much on the wedding and business traffic from its conference center and seems to show it can care less about the other hotel guests. I have no idea how it is a 3 star hotel, it is maybe a 1.5 at best. Here are some of the issues. They may seem minor, but there was so many that they added up and this review has a 1500 character max.1. Hot Tub broken. 2. Vending machine by room, coins only & broken 3.Hotel staff was rude when we asked for refund. 4. Hallways and stair wells were so hot and humid that candy bar I got from other machine was melted. 5. Key rarely worked on outside doors for after hours entrance. 6. Towels were rough and frayed. 7. Parking lot was scary. 8. View outside window was blocked by an overgrown bush. 9. Hotel lobby had body odor/musty smell. 10. The INDOOR pool only had 1 lounge chair, but 4 or 5 sun umbrellas with rusty gates. 11. Putt Putt course was a JOKE. Only had wiffle balls and astro turf was torn up. Bottom line is I would have been happy if this was listed as the cheapest 2 star and would have understood I got what I paid for. Instead I got scammed by Expedia and the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason H

Travellers are raving about these Frederick hotels

Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I hosted my parents at this Holiday Inn, and was very pleasantly surprised. They visited during Prom week, and the management had strict rules prohibiting underage and unsupervised guests. We did not see any prom-goers, and I appreciated their quiet stay.

Very comfortable rooms, good water pressure, good service. We were very pleased.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sinarmatahari
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel had a lot of features that most hotels flat-out don't have: the mini golf etc. but in terms of just ordinary hotel stuff that you expect, it was not really that impressive. No elevator. You park near the closest stairwell and carry your bags up the stairs to the room. Kind of like a motel. The room was not really fresh-smelling and things looked a little tired. When we went to the pool area, there were loads of kids screaming and playing the mini-golf and...that's great if you're there with lots of kids of your own, but if you wanted a quiet time at the pool, forget it. All in all, it was an okay hotel that would be great if you had a load of kids to enjoy the mini golf and pool area. Very convenient location, though.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I'm writing this from a room just adjacent to the hotel's inner courtyard / pool and redneck entertainment zone. Several obese rednecks are shouting out there right now at 10pm on a Wednesday. I won this room on priceline for about the same rate as the Hampton Inn across I-270. I travel to Frederick once a month and always stay at either the Hampton or Hilton garden inn. The room itself features a CRT TV, microwave oven, and a smell I can't quite identify. I've already fixed the toilet, which had a disconnected flapper valve. The tub surround is made of authentic plastic. this was supposed to be a 3.5 star hotel so my rating scale must be waaayyy off. I'll never use Priceline again. The registration desk was staffed by one overstressed young lady and I had to wait about 15 minutes behind two sets of folks who apparently had never checked into a hotel before in their lives.

Room Tip: The free parking = best thing about this dump
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Cleveland
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I got a very good rate on this hotel of hotwire. Rooms were clean and well kept. Pool and hot tub were great. Nice people behind the bar & front desk. everything was smooth. Did no eat at restaurant.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo