“Tranquillity at its best-location, location, location”

Hospederia Bajo el Cejo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My family and I (wife and 2 young daughters) arrived on Monday 23rd July 2012. The journey from the A7 was a little daunting-very narrow roads to El Berro, but my advise is just keep going. Have time to see the castle in Alhambra de Murcia, it's beautiful. When you find the sign to camping in El berro, you can either go the very, very narrow way or a wider road way. Not knowing which was best at that moment in time, the narrow road way was far from scenic, and I would advise it, but be cautious. I would also not advise driving there at night, if you have not been before. When in El berro, we stopped at the camp site, as I was unsure if we were going in the right direction, thank goodness I was, and the friendly lady at the camping site reception was most helpful in directing us to the hotel. When we arrived, the views were just spectacular. Seeing the swimming pool look over the Sierra Espuna mountains was a dream, and from that moment on, my family and I knew we (or actually I) had made a great choice of hotel. When checking in Pippa was so accommodating. Everything was smooth, she showed us around the hotel and facilities, and then our room. Now the room- the end superior room with a jacuzzi, and the views just got better (please see my pictures, I hope they do it justice). A large bed, and a smaller bed of my eldest daughter (my youngest slept with us, I hope this changes soon!). Nicely air conditioned, use of the fridge downstairs was very helpful also which provided water, soft drinks, beer, and some spirits. The evening meal was a set menu at around 30 euros per person, and it was magnificent. The chef, who I think also did house keeping, was such a great cook. The gazpacho was the best we have ever tasted, she added water melon and it gave it a great sweetness. The wine selection was also very good. The owners have done a great deal to ensure all fine details are perfect, and it is those finer details that make your stay so perfect, so well done. The town is very small and quaint, a local shop which provides essentials, and a restaurant. A climb up to the top of the town will give you unimaginable views from the Christ statue. If you are looking for a tranquil location, that gets you away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, where the facilities are perfect and the service is simply like being part of the family, then this hotel is a must. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Superior room, a little more expensive, but fabulous.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hospederia Bajo el Cejo

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We spent a couple of days here to celebrate my wifes' birthday, we could have not chosen a better place. It is run by the owner Andreas aided by his sister Lali, a most wonderful and talented cook and Pippa the waitress who is English and has lived in the area for 10 years. Both Andreas and Pippa are eager to share their knowledge of the area which we found very helpful.The service was second to none and as previous contributors have stated the food was outstanding. For wine buffs Andreas has an extensive cellar of local wines of which he has a great depth of knowledge. I have no hesitation in recommending this fabulous little gem, if you are looking for a quite peaceful break in stunning surroundings this is it. Do eat there as you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Special little hotel. Stunning location. Charming host. Lovely room. Superb food. What can I say?
A highlight of our visit to Spain. We recommend this Hotel as a wonderfully peaceful place to unwind and lap up the superb mountain setting. A dip in the ultra cool pool after very hot days was a welcome respite. The superb 4/5 course dinners and amazing breakfasts, with many ingredients grown or made by the hotel, were the best we had in Spain. We would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Upstairs room with balcony, great views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tewhau
Reviewed 27 July 2012

After reading the great reviews we decided to stay here for 2 nights before flying home from Murcia after visiting relatives in the area. I am sure we will do this again! It is a superb little hotel in a beautiful part of Spain with everything you could wish for. The bed was the most comfortable we slept in during our trip and the 5 course dinners were delicious! we spent a very relaxing day by the pool and it truly is a peaceful place. Thank you Andres and Pippa!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is how small hotels wins over Large hotels, the service, personal and discrete. Nothing was too much trouble, the rooms include honesty bar fridge, I had a good vodka night before, in our fridge next morning.

As for breakfast on the patio see other reviews just superb, almost all homemade including the jams, enough said.

The set menu at night, well as others mention not to sure about booking set meals even 5 course meals, all I can say is half way through the meal we had booked the next night, completely different menu every night, if you stay 7 nights Lali will cook what ever you like that she had cooked that week, and we would have had a real problem choosing after only 2 nights.

Pippa helps out serving and cleaning gave us lots of info on local places, tips etc and good laugh as well. Made our trip a great start. Thanks for passing on the recipes Pippa.

The rooms are simple but superb very clean fantastic view from the Balcony, pleasant with a breeze blowing, There is a large sitting area downstairs and the honesty fridge. Large patio for meals and drinks pool is cool and spotless. When showering open the window and look down the valley in the morning.

Andreas man on a mission keeps the please clean, making jams maintaining his fresh veg and fruit plot and serving, let him choose the wine they are just delicious from small vineyards who make very good wine.
When we arrived had lovely chilled wine in our room in a bucket within minutes.

Will return for the view, accommodation, staff and the food no problem recommending.

Wanted to stay longer but could not as he was busy that weekend.

Room Tip: Top right room balcony overlooks the valley, big bath.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

booked by my husband as a surprise - what a treat.

the other reviews pretty much cover it - i have been to Spain many times & love going inland & away from the English so this was right up my street.

was a bit nervous about a "set" dinner but it was first class - as was breakfast.

great spot :)

well done guys

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were a bit concerned about choosing somewhere apparently so remote with little choice of bars restaurants etc. Well we got that wrong.

First impressions started before we arrived when i received a phone call from Pippa telling me that reception was not manned between 2 & 5 pm - not a problem we knew that - but it wasnt just to tell us the facts it was to offer to be there if we knew when we would arrive. She asked what we would like to do about dinner but was happy to wait until we arrived to discuss.

Normally we are not fans of eating in hotels, even less of fixed menus but wow - 30 euros for 5 course meal using lots of local produce - bit blowy so we couldnt dine alfresco - but no matter - dining inside was great - the service from Pippa - fantastic,friendly but discreet - the food was great and her wine recomendations were brilliant.

The rooms are great & the grounds - exactley as shown on the website - the whole place was spotless - this is a business where the owners ( & Pippa) really care about the small details.
The forcast threatened rain - we found umbrellas outside the room.
There was an honesty bar in a small lounge in our section of the hotel.
Breakfast was also great - cereals, toasted pannini style bread , home made cheesecake & orange cake,yogurts,have made preserves, Iberian ham & cheese - amazing freshly prepared juice.

The village boasted 3 other friendly bars & there are some restaurants a short drive away.

We met Andreas - the owner on our last morning and he too was thoughtful & charming. The service througout our stay was just great.

In short we loved it & recomend it to you - having discovered Bajo el Cejo we are now keen to explore other hotels that are part of the Rusticae marketing network.

There is a steep walk into the village but its a small price to pay for fantastic views,friendly service,amazing food - all in all incredible value too . Muchas,muchas gracisa me gusta mucho

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Agalia Hotel
Agalia Hotel
#5 of 28 in Murcia
Hotel Spa Jardines de Lorca

Been to Hospederia Bajo el Cejo? Share your experiences!