All reviewsbajo el cejosierra espunanational parkhonesty barpeaceful placesmall villagefantastic viewssitting roomnarrow roadfive coursesflanhighest standardrisottolocal knowledgeswimming poolhis soncomfortable bed
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We chose this hotel last week as a stop over when travelling between Alicante and Granada following good reviews on the Tripadvisor website. It was an excellent choice, the only problem being that one night was not enough to fully appreciate it. We arrived hot and tired having persuaded ourselves that the hotel was in Alhama de Murcia itself (NB It is in the village of El Berro, some fifteen kilometres through Alhama and in a remote location in the hills) and having got lost accordingly. We had an immediate warm and friendly reception, Andreas personally walked up to the village to collect our car from the village square whilst we were shown to our excellent and well appointed room. A cold beer by the pool was followed by dinner on the terrace overlooking the Sierra Espuna. It was the best meal we have had anywhere this year - four courses, no choice but you don't need a choice if the chef is as good as this. Breakfast in the morning was limited but really tasty with freshly baked bread and everything made locally or on the premises. After breakfast,we had a swim in the delightful pool and had to leave. All too short, but given the opportunity we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claret100
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My family and I (wife and 2 young daughters) arrived on Monday 23rd July 2012. The journey from the A7 was a little daunting-very narrow roads to El Berro, but my advise is just keep going. Have time to see the castle in Alhambra de Murcia, it's beautiful. When you find the sign to camping in El berro, you can either go the very, very narrow way or a wider road way. Not knowing which was best at that moment in time, the narrow road way was far from scenic, and I would advise it, but be cautious. I would also not advise driving there at night, if you have not been before. When in El berro, we stopped at the camp site, as I was unsure if we were going in the right direction, thank goodness I was, and the friendly lady at the camping site reception was most helpful in directing us to the hotel. When we arrived, the views were just spectacular. Seeing the swimming pool look over the Sierra Espuna mountains was a dream, and from that moment on, my family and I knew we (or actually I) had made a great choice of hotel. When checking in Pippa was so accommodating. Everything was smooth, she showed us around the hotel and facilities, and then our room. Now the room- the end superior room with a jacuzzi, and the views just got better (please see my pictures, I hope they do it justice). A large bed, and a smaller bed of my eldest daughter (my youngest slept with us, I hope this changes soon!). Nicely air conditioned, use of the fridge downstairs was very helpful also which provided water, soft drinks, beer, and some spirits. The evening meal was a set menu at around 30 euros per person, and it was magnificent. The chef, who I think also did house keeping, was such a great cook. The gazpacho was the best we have ever tasted, she added water melon and it gave it a great sweetness. The wine selection was also very good. The owners have done a great deal to ensure all fine details are perfect, and it is those finer details that make your stay so perfect, so well done. The town is very small and quaint, a local shop which provides essentials, and a restaurant. A climb up to the top of the town will give you unimaginable views from the Christ statue. If you are looking for a tranquil location, that gets you away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, where the facilities are perfect and the service is simply like being part of the family, then this hotel is a must. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Superior room, a little more expensive, but fabulous.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We spent a couple of days here to celebrate my wifes' birthday, we could have not chosen a better place. It is run by the owner Andreas aided by his sister Lali, a most wonderful and talented cook and Pippa the waitress who is English and has lived in the area for 10 years. Both Andreas and Pippa are eager to share their knowledge of the area which we found very helpful.The service was second to none and as previous contributors have stated the food was outstanding. For wine buffs Andreas has an extensive cellar of local wines of which he has a great depth of knowledge. I have no hesitation in recommending this fabulous little gem, if you are looking for a quite peaceful break in stunning surroundings this is it. Do eat there as you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Special little hotel. Stunning location. Charming host. Lovely room. Superb food. What can I say?
A highlight of our visit to Spain. We recommend this Hotel as a wonderfully peaceful place to unwind and lap up the superb mountain setting. A dip in the ultra cool pool after very hot days was a welcome respite. The superb 4/5 course dinners and amazing breakfasts, with many ingredients grown or made by the hotel, were the best we had in Spain. We would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Upstairs room with balcony, great views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tewhau
Reviewed 27 July 2012

After reading the great reviews we decided to stay here for 2 nights before flying home from Murcia after visiting relatives in the area. I am sure we will do this again! It is a superb little hotel in a beautiful part of Spain with everything you could wish for. The bed was the most comfortable we slept in during our trip and the 5 course dinners were delicious! we spent a very relaxing day by the pool and it truly is a peaceful place. Thank you Andres and Pippa!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple