“Worth a trip off the interstate”
Review of Casa Antigua - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Antigua
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We were en route between Colorado and Phoenix, looking for dinner, saw this restaurant on TA, but were a little hesitant given the limited number of reviews. But Casa Antigua lives up to it's reputation for excellent mexican food. The chips/salsa bar is a nice touch too. It's not far from the freeway, definitely worth the short drive.

1  Thank mdmss

Reviewed 13 April 2012

You would expect Arizona to have good Mexican food, and this restaurant does not disappoint. It is a family-run place and the food is homemade. If you like chips and salsa before your meal, you have to help your self at the chips-and-salsa bar -- they don't bring them to your table. The salsas are not hot, but the two we tried were tasty -- even the one marked "hot" would be considered mild at many Mexican restaurants. Many people do not realize that not all Mexican cuisine is hot and spicy -- the spiciness depends on the region of Mexico. The service was good and the food was excellent, overall. My chili relleno was homemade by the owner's wife and I was fortunate to get the last one before they ran out. My wife had shrimp enchiladas -- crammed full of shrimp (many restaurants skimp on the shrimp, but not Casa Antigua). The frijoles (refried beans) were flavorful, not the bland paste that is often served and the rice had an interesting mix of minced vegetables thrown in. The sopapillas for dessert were satisfying, but not spectacular. We ate on a Friday evening and there was a steady stream of customers, though never any waiting for a table. The interior of the restaurant was clean and nicely decorated, though could have used a little fixing-up. This is a place we will return to.

1  Thank david-oberpriller
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is worth a trip to Camp Verde. We were trying to find good Mexican food, and after several 5's, this was a 10!!!! The Steak Rancheros and chimichangas are amazing. The mango marguarita is a must as well!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I went to this cute little restaurant in the bashas parking lot right next to H&R block. It was the most amazing mexican food I have ever had. I am very picky about my mexican food being raised in a mexican family and this food was so amazing! They make their chips and salsa homemade, everything they make is made right then and oh my goodness it was so good! I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone and everyone! I have told all of my family and friends to go to this place and I am a very picky eater! If you are ever in Camp Verde and you're hungry go to Casa Antigua you wont regret it, it is worth every single penny and then some!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I live nearby and visit Casa Antigua often. The owner, Jose, is super friendly and bends over backwards to make people feel comfortable. He waits tables and his wife cooks, and that's the entire staff. My favorite--when they have them--is their chiles rellenos. They're delicious but they sell out fast.