“I'm sorry, but I'm going to speak as I find.....”
Review of Oylum Garden Hotel

Oylum Garden Hotel
Ranked #41 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We have just returned from Icmeler,.. it's a long story, so I will spare you the boring details... in short, we were moved here last min.. literally 12 hours before we flew.
When we arrived the driver didn't know where olyum garden hotel was, forunately I'd google mapped it prior to leaving home and we eventually made ourselves understood and found the hotel.
They weren't expecting us. Someone then went and brought a lady to the reception, who I later discovered was Rose, ( wearing a Mr Grumpy T.shirt, little did we realise this was some kind of anti metaphor).. and basically it went downhill from there.. .. she really didn't care that we had been travelling all night, with 2 very tired teenagers, and that we were meant to be in an all inclusive hotel.. " not my problem" was her reply... . which is odd seeing as she had been paid by our holiday provider for all inclusive.. still, we didn't let this spoil our holiday, we simply spent all our money elsewhere... and. on the last day, about 2mins before we checked out, I discovered I'd had ten pound taken from my purse, which was locked in the safe ALL week.. I didn't even bother to tell her.. When we checked out she was dealing with a new check in and she grabbed my air con remotes from me and simply carried on talking to the new check in.. she didn't even look at us..with regard to the stolen money.. I always make a rule of keeping £50 sterling emergency money in my purse, for the last day, the airport or whatever, and I had checked it 2 days before we left. On the last day, we were all having breaksfast together
( which we never had done all week, and I suspect this was when it was taken)
Nico and jimmi at the bar are great, they made us so welcome. No one else did..
We were made to feel like an inconvenience... and I often found Rose scowling at the staff, and my 2 girls said she made them feel very uncomfotable when she was around, they even said she was talking about them as they lay by the pool.
If I had booked this hotel, and Rose wasn't there I reckon it's an OK hotel..
We never had our bedding changed, our girls never had loo paper ( i bought some for them) and we had clean towels once ( after I'd dumped all our dirty ones in the shower)
The maid works very very hard and always has a smile...
There is always a selection of family members arriving and sitting up in the shaded area by the pool.. one day an eldery lady ( turkish) vomitted several times by the entrance to the hotel ewwwww.. and the dog drank from the pool ewwwww...
I know lots of people will disagree with me,.. but I'm simply telling you what happened to us.. would I stay here again.. not even if THEY paid me.. I'm back in Icmeler next month, and I have been to the hotel and checked our bookings ( I used a provider I'd never used before for a last min deal.. never again) and they were great...
i must also say that our hol provider did try to move us to another hotel, but they only had room for 3 nights.. then a gap and then 1 night.. the manager there couldn't do enough for us, he rang several hotels to try and help us, he offered us drinks and food ( he could see we were upset ) and he was fantastic... and we weren't even in his hotel!!!
Icmlere is a lovely place, we love it, we love the people, we have many friends there..
Oh before I forget, we had 2 attic rooms.. which wasn't a problem for us as we are all 5ft nowt.. my hubby is 5ft 7in and constantly smacked his head off the ceilings, having said that, there we guest staying in the basement rooms.. they are below ground level and have a glass door covering the area which would be a balcony.. very odd.. so our attic rooms seemed roomy incomparison......
Sorry to be so negative.. but it's all true.....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank anniefNorth

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Nice hotel, nice people, very friendly.

Food was good, but the breakfast was basic, pretty much what you get everywhere in turkey. There is a restaurant that does a full English for 6 lira pretty much right outside anyway though.

Its central to everything, comfy beds etc... couldn't fault it really. Had a top holiday and a lovely stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The hotel is situated about 10 minutes to the beach with some great bars and restaurants on the way.

The owner and staff at the hotel are great, very friendly and helpful. The pool is great and is very clean and big enough to accomodate all guests. The outside area of the hotel is great with a nice bar and canopied seating area. Breakfast was disapointing but typically Turkish. However the food at the hotel is very cheap so if you wanted a more substancial breakfast you could. Alcohol is also similar prices to all bars in Icmeler.

We stayed in the attic room which was better than expected from reading previous reviews. It has a small balcony ideal for 2 people and the bathroom is clean and spacious. Storage is good and the air conditioning was a god send!

The location is very good just off the main road but quiet enough as you can't hear the local bars.

We would definitely stay here again if we returned to Icmeler, which we will in future. A perfect place to relax as well as to enjoy the local amenties.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cardiff3
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We have just returned from a week staying at the Oylum Garden Hotel (28th May - 5th June 2010) and would recommended this small family run hotel. It is ideally situated and is quietly hidden up a small side road. It is a gem of a place. approx 30 rooms with a nice pool hidden within a nice garden. Breakfast/meals are taken outside either in the sun or under canopies for shade.

Rooms are average with good bathroom. Storage is ample. Patio doors leas onto good balconies.

Rose and her family run this small establishment and they are very accomodating.

within 40 meters is another larger hotel called the OYLUM PRESTIGE. Our transfer driver dropped us off at this bigger hotel in the middle of the night so be careful. However we went into the nearest bar who not only directed us to the OYLUM GARDEN, they actually took us and our luggage there!

Thoroughly recommended.... we hope to go again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jensongeorge
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Stayed at the Oylum Garden Hotel 12th to 26 October 2009. The staff were so friendly and couldnt do enough for us. Rose the hotel owner is so lovely and made us feel very welcome. The Hotel has nice big rooms that were serviced daily by the maid that loved cuddles awwww she was lovely. We will definately be going back to this hotel as the location was perfect, a short stroll to the beach with shops bars and restaurants close by. We enjoyed this holiday very much, Icmeler is lovely and much more laid back than Marmaris. Roll on 2010 so we can go back to this lovely hotel and resort.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkJohnson40
Reviewed 9 October 2009

I spent a great 10 days here with my Husband Kevin. The bar and restaurant are run by Bekir and Wendy who were very friendly and made you feel most welcome. The hotel is very near to everything and if there's anything you need just ask Wendy and she'll do her best to sort it out. We met a few people that had stayed at the hotel several times before which is always a good sign. We enjoyed it so much we hope to go back next year!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This was a last minute booking, made days before our trip. For £250 a fortnight, who can complain too much?

Transfer times from Bodrum were a bit of a pain, but the hotel itself has a great location.
Staff were welcoming on check-in, and although air-con was steep at 90TL per week (£35) we took it. It was fiddly to control, and was often too cold with it on or too hot with it off.

The room we were given was in the nearest corner of the hotel nearest to the main strip. It was EXTREMELY noise right up until 2am with Amigos and Wonderboys bars only about 50m away. Occasionally we wanted a quiet night and this was just not possible.
In addition, there are bins opposite the hotel which were frequently emptied at 4-5am every day.
I feel bad complaining about this, but people need to know... request a room at the BACK of the hotel if you want to sleep, as the maid will be knocking at 10am to get in otherwise, and if she can't get in she tends to go in a mood and will not clean your room for days! We had the same 'duvet cover' (if you can call it that) the entire holiday - and we were pretty sure the towels were NOT changed every three days as promised.

The pool and bar area are the main draw for this hotel. Bekir and Wendy are diamonds; everyone seems to be treated as a regular, and they really make you feel welcome. Bekir will keep the bar opened till whenever the last person leaves, and even will cook you up a burger at 2am if so required.
Then there's the wee imp Sedat who never tires of trying to throw people into the pool, until he whacked his arm off the bottom! He looks after everyone well though - doesnt speak the best English, but he knows enough to get me an Efes and tell me he supports Galatasaray, so who needs more?
Also big shouts to Fahri (brother of owner), he is the 'night watchman', but you'll rarely see him watching anything but Facebook.com! Lovely guy though.

As for Icmeler, it's a great resort. Little too much hassle by the bar/restaurant staff, but that's unfortunately par for the course in Turkey. If you can learn to sweettalk them or simply have razor sharp excuses ready.... you'll be fine.
Beachfront is lovely, lots of good restaurants in that area if you walk 10 mins towards Marmaris.

Overall, we really enjoyed Oylum Garden and Icmeler, met lots of nice folk in the hotel apart from the odd lady who was obsessive over her son's lilo that we christened her 'Lilowatch UK'

Might go back next year if they can give us a nicer room!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple