“A Palace from a by-gone Age.”
Review of Union Palace Hotel

Union Palace Hotel
Ranked #65 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Fethiye, Turkey
“A Palace from a by-gone Age.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Not palace by any imagination. It looks like a 70’s hotel from the outside. The hotel looks and is clean but it needs a freshen up. I was occupied by mainly Turkish families. The bedroom was clean but the carpet had some stains on it and it should be replaced. The bathroom was plain but ok, imagine my surprise when I looked closely on the tiled floors to see my neighbours, small Ants scurrying about. I was woken after midnight by some guests having a major row outside the lift and then in their bedroom. My neighbours also woke up early in the morning at 7AM and made a lot of noise. I tried to run some hot water to get washed and black bits came out of the tap along with the Luke warm water. I went to breakfast and had to use the stairs as the lifts were out of action. The breakfast was pretty poor, I tried some cheese rolls which were soft and not nice and a hard-boiled egg which was ok. I had two cups of Turkish tea which were fine. I was put of the bread by Turkish people poking and squeezing the loaves making their selections. The lift was working when I went back to my room. I couldn’t leave quickly enough really. At the checkout I showed the receptionist a dead Ant in some tissue paper he said yes I know and put it in the bin.

Room Tip: Don't go there, its right at the back of Icmeler and up a steep road.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Kingston upon Hull
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Very clean hotel and staff very friendly and willing to help in any way possible. 10 min walk to the main town of icmeler and beach, alot more Turkish than English but this was not a problem as the majority of them spoke English and always took the time to say hello. Entertainment was non existent which is why this review got a 4, but all we did was walk into the town so wasn't that much of an issue. Air con is free in this hotel, we had been told by a few English people that in other hotels they have stayed in they charge about 100 lira for the week. All in all I would definitely go back to this hotel, views are amazing, staff are friendly and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel has a magnificent commanding view of the old village and modern beaches of Icmeler. It is however a bit far (2.5km) from the beaches. Yet, this may be an advantage for visitors requiring a quiet and relaxing vacation. They can spend peaceful days using the large swimming pool.
The breakfast menu was above average (except for bread that was inexplicably always stale). We had some trouble with dinner especially for the first two days (7-8 August). The fried fish was horrible and stewed turkey meat so tough. Things improved noticeably for the next few nights as ore authentic and delicious Turkish food was introduced; possibly because of the arrival of a big Turkish crowd celebrating Bayram (Ramadan Eid).
The thing that really annoyed us was the casual and erratic way services were rendered. We had no internet service on our floor even though we were promised open and free internet. After complaining we had service only for one night and then it was stopped again. The safe in the room did not work. Also, the hotel had no outside phone line that one can use from the room. Such connection was important to confirm reservations and to arrange transport. We were advised instead to buy a phone card or get a mobile line.
The hotel reception was friendly but was stymied by management policy (e.g. regarding internet).
Despite these drawbacks, the hotel is a good family retreat with good value for money.

Room Tip: Top floors, right side.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

after reading some reviews I was not looking forward to staying here but it was to expensive to change , I am so glad I didn't it was great for us as a couple . it was mainly Turkish only us and another English family there the first week and about four more the second not a lot for children to do as there wasn't any entertainment being mainly Turkish . there was no safety deposit boxes but was able to leave our things in the hotel safe free . the air con was free , there was no shuttle bus as most guests had their own cars , there was no problem getting a sunbed any time of day , the balconies were private and I didn't mind the hill the views are lovely. I don't think its a place to stay if you like to stop in the hotel all the time or out of season but we would stay there again in july/aug but as a regular to turkey nothings ever the same the next year

Room Tip: better views from 3rd floor up
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was apprehensive as I had read other reviews on tripadvisor but once we got there we were all really happy. The location was good for us as it is set back from the continuous hustle and bustle of Icmeler but within walking distance of restaurants & shops (Sinbads is just at the bottom of the hill along the road and was yummy) further slong Icmeler has lots to offer for varying tastes. The market on a Wednesday is good to try your bartering skills, we walked from the hotel and it took approx 10 mins and was signposted all the way.

The pool was quiet most days which was a luxury and was clean, there were always plenty of beds and good snack food all day for cheap. The staff were great; very helpful - especially Bilal our friendly waiter for the week!

The hotel itself was clean and the rooms were fine. Not sure whether the photos taken previously were the same hotel tbh! It's a 3* hotel and you get a good deal - its not luxurious but for the price we were happy and would stay again.

I would also recommend the spa - I had the Deluxe package and in comparison to UK spas this is a great deal and well worth it whilst you're there! The Turkish foam scrub was a fun experience!

Thanks for a great holiday!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Becawood
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Overall bar, reception and waiting staff very efficient and provided an excellent service. Receptionist arranged our confirmation of airport transfer without charge. Bar staff served drinks to table and were very friendly. Hotel quiet for time of year (July 2013), although had more occupants at weekends. This suited us as a couple as not too noisy and we slept really well for the two week stay. Some entertainment provided at weekends, although mainly for adults. Room was a bit dated and could do with upgrade, although it was very spacious and air conditioning was very good. Spa service was excellent and again staff very professional. Good value for money.

Room Tip: A room on the south side preferable and on a higher floor (4-6) as view excellent from there.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed at the union palace hotel in july 2013 with my 18 month old and husband...

pros

most staff are quite friendly and try there best
other holiday makers were very friendly and without them would defiantly have left.

cons

carpet filthy.bathroom floor filthy.
decoration...dated!!
only two members of staff spoke a small amount of english..no-one else would understand what you were saying.
the breakfast was the same every day..boiled eggs and bread
there is a very large hill to climb when going to and from hotel( they tell you that they offer a free shutter.. THEY DONT)!!!!
and the hill is very steep at least half a mile ...with no lighiting so very hard to see where your going in the dark.
the receptionist who spoke english was veerrry veerrry rude and unprofessional.. and any complaints we made were answered with...'you speak to your rep and leave if you want.'..or 'this is a 4 star hotel madam'.
the safe in the room didnt work and they wanted us to pay an extra 44 TL to use the shared safe.
payed for half board...but after two days they started to charge us for drinking WATER with our meals!!!! ridiculous.
NO HOT WATER!!!
taps would constantly have no water in them.

Fitness centre has no machines.!!
No entertainment room!!
we had no electricity for a whole night including air con and the temperature was 45degrees.(not ideal for anyone definatly not a 18 month old). this was not fixed till the following day.
all rooms state to have a sea view....u can see the sea which is about 100 miles away in the distance!!!...the real view is all trees and nothing else!!!!
they tried to add additional charges for anything they could.
hotel is really far out ,unless you get the bus.(there are lots of other four star hotels in the centre which looked alot better and offered more!!)

WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT!!! at the end of the week we left without letting the receptionist no because of how rude and unprofessional she was!!!

these are just some of the things i can remember!!

be prepared to be disappointed!!

the only positive were some of the friends we made.!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank fnaz1

Travellers are raving about these Icmeler hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Private Hotel
#48 of 234 in Marmaris
Grand Aquarium
Grand Aquarium
#8 of 77 in Icmeler

Been to Union Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!