LABRANDA Mares Marmaris
Monte Hotel(Armutalan)
Caprice Beach(Marmaris)
  • Pool
2,066 results
All reviewssultan bardolphin parkpizza restaurantentertainment teamthe main hotelturkeysea viewgreat holidaysea frontsaladkids clubrussian guestslobby barturkish restaurantincluded in the all inclusivepool gamesevening entertainment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I am reviewing this hotel to my honest opinion. I booked this hotel through hotels4U which claimed to offer it at a sale price from around £1,450 and along with the on-line discount it worked out at about £1,000 (Just for the hotel) As naïve as I am and also reading some great reviews I was excited about my first trip to Turkey. The hotel claimed to offer three restaurants and all this waiter service, I really was thinking it was going to be luxury. I wanted it to be even better so I paid an extra £100 to have a Villa over looking the sea.
On arrival at the hotel we headed to reception where we got greeted by a friendly looking and polite chap but then as he tapped our names into the computer he must have realized that we were two guys sharing a double room. I don’t know for sure but the way he looked at us and then covered his mouth with the paperwork he was holding then called somebody else from the office and preceded to mumble something into that person ear and then took off like a jet plane leaving the other chap from the office to deal with us whilst looking embarrassed said it all really!
The Bell boy was friendly and pointed us in the direction of our ‘Villa’ and he delt with getting our suitcases over to us. It was only after 6pm but the sun had gone over the mountain so it put the hotel in the shade and felt a lot later than it actually was so it was no surprise as we walked past the pool to our ’Villa’ (with a sea view) there was no guests to be seen.
Ok so the room was tidy and had a big massive balcony area but to my mind it was far from a Villa. The definition of the word villa 1. holiday home: a house rented for a holiday, especially one rented abroad 2. expensive house: a large luxurious house. So to me we got a one room chalet type place, sorry if you add the small bathroom that’s two rooms. Now don’t get me wrong the view from the balcony was nice, you could see the sea through the trees and it was sort of nice but absolutely not what I had envisioned what-so-ever. It was then I was having doubts about its 5* statues as the room were very dated, shabby and dull. Although they were clean the cracks in the tiling and the sealant smudged all round the bath didn’t say 5* to me.
The Restaurant - Plenty of food around however you had to queue a lot. Unless you were Russian and thought it was perfectly normal for a whole family to push in because they knew somebody at the front. There are four hot serving areas and you need to queue for each one so by the time you queue for the chips your chicken has gone cold, by time you queue for the vegetables the chips and chicken are cold and by the time you go queue at the bar for a drink the little (cute) birds have flown in and pinched half your dinner. Ok so its not as bad as what it sounds but it can be a traumatic experience at times, specially if you get into an argument with any Russians. Other things about the restaurant are plenty of bread chioce and salads. Lots and lots of fish type sushi stuff going on (YULK) You can only have one scoop of ice cream at dinner if you queue with all the kids for half an hour otherwise as an all inclusive hotel you have to pay for Ice cream. Also they don’t cater for British people. I can’t eat eggs so I couldn’t have a cooked breakfast, I know it’s a Muslim country but Im not a Muslim so I would like bacon and sausage for my breakfast, you couldn’t even get baked beans. I had to put my bread through the toasting machine four times before it got toasted. The other restaurants you had to book. We tried to book the traditional Turkish restaurant giving 48hrs notice but were told it was fully booked and had to wait 4 days to get in. However when the ‘Special night’ arrived we walked down to the candle lite restaurant over looking the sea, just before we were about to walk in a chef was dashing in and out the kitchen with a burning cigarette in his mouth. We never had dinner there and run off before they spotted us.
The pool - was nice and they played games and music, it was quite relaxing really. Like anywhere, you had to be up early to claim a sun bed. The annoying thing for me was the pool bar. First of all I never met such a miserable barman in my life. Everyone else was friendly and had a joke but there is one young fat lad that works the bar and looks like he’d been slapped across the face with a wet fish all week. But the biggest annoyance was the Coca-Cola cups you got served your drinks in, that’s unless you wanted a Coca-Cola and then got that served in a small plastic (blow-away-in-the-wind) cup. I know its by the pool so we have to use plastic tumblers but I don’t want to drink my beer from a cardboard Coca-Cola cup. I nice strong ridged plastic tumbler would be nice, you know, like you would expect at a 5* hotel.
A round up - Rooms got cleaned daily. Had to chase for a second towel as they only left one on the second day. On the last day we thought we’d be nice and leave everything nice and tidy for the maids so we took all the sheets off the bed only to discover blood on the mattress and urine stains, big huge patches of urine stains. I’ve never complained about a hotel so much normally I would say you get what you paid for. If I book into a 2* hotel I expect certain things and it I book into a 3* or 4* I expect better things, so this being a 5* and it wasn’t cheap I expected it to be really nice. If this hotel was rated as a 3* I would have given it a fantastic review. As a 3* this hotel would be a great hotel 100% However I have been put off Turkey as a whole because people keep saying that their star rating isn’t the same as ours in the UK. I’ve stayed as 5* in Greece a couple of times and it was beyond amazing and they are only next door to Turkey!
So look at this hotel as a 3* and then you won’t be disappointed by anything. Well maybe the same band singing the same songs every night in the outside open bar might start to grate on you by the third night so best pay for a taxi into town and pay for your dinks somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel part as the sea views in the so called villas aren't worth the extra money and depending on which part of the hotel you are in you will get a better view of everything. Sea and mountains. If you are staying in a villa ask for one at the bottom end where its quiet!
3  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the Mares Grand Yazici May 2012 on a last minute holiday.
First impressions were excellent, we were met at the airport on time and taken to the hotel where check in was very efficient. We asked for a villa with a sea view which is what we were allocated in fact the view was spectacular. The Villas are clean and comfortable but could do with a major facelift, having said that for the amount of time actually spent in the room it certainly didn't mar our holiday the bed was big and very comfortable and the power shower was amazing, There is a hairdryer in the bathroom if you have an hour to spare to dry your hair if not I would suggest taking your own, The villas would benefit from tea and coffee making facilities unfortunately there aren't any so if you are an early riser you have the choice of water unless you want to go up to the main hotel. the maid let us down as we had to go searching for clean towels and on one occasion some toilet roll, having said that we met up with two other British couples one of which were staying in the hotel and the other a villa, the ones staying in the hotel said their room was lovely and was well equipped every day with fresh towels and bottles of water and the ones staying in the villa also said they had no problems so our particular gripes we put down to the maid.
Guest relations were really helpful and advised us of the best place to go when we visited Marmaris, we got a taxi in for 18TL approx £6 and a water taxi back 20TL
The day after check in we went to breakfast and I must admit I was impressed with the choice for breakfast we have stayed in 5 star hotels in Turkey before and have never had so much choice, there was fresh fruit, yogurt, pancakes, cereals, eggs, bread with various preserves and the usual array of cold meats and cheeses along with a huge selection of dried fruits and berries and even a dish of turkish delight if you like that sort of thing for breakfast!
The pool area was very clean and tidy, the pool bar had a drinks machine where you can help yourself to fruit juice or water and if you want something stronger there is a barman to serve alcohol. You do have to pay for icecream by the pool though! There is entertainment daily which can get a bit noisy although fun to watch, if you are looking for something quieter there are sunbeds on the marina and along the front. The poolside toilets weren't as clean as I would have liked so I used the hotel toilets, there is also an internet cafe which is reasonably priced.
Lunch was varied each day with a choice of 2 soups lots of salad, chips and usually fish or chicken as well as freshly made flatbread, pizza and bread, the evening meal usually consisted of much the same as the lunch time menu, I'm extremely fussy and didn't have any problem with the food in this hotel.The array of desserts was amazing although they are very sweet the rice pudding was by far the best.
The hotel reception, bars, restaurant and grounds were really clean maintained to the highest standards, the staff work really hard to make everything perfect for your holiday.
The negatives are that it's a very big hotel and has a large proportion of Russian guests that seem to leave their manners at home when on holiday, they push in the queues and think nothing to barking orders at the bar staff.
The Bar staff are brilliant really earn their money, the drinks are very good not like some of the cheaper alcohol that some hotels serve. We had a la carte in the pizzeria which was fantastic we couldn't get into the other a la cartes so I can't comment on them, In the Pizzeria I had salmon with spinach and my husband had medallions of beef it was beautifully presented and made a lovely change from being pushed in front of in the buffet restaurant.
The entertainment staff organised an evening out into Bar Street which is aptly named as it's wall to wall bars but it was nice to break the bubble and see some night life.
You can walk either way right along the front into Marmaris or Icemelar which is a lovely walk with plenty of pavement cafes to stop at and have a drink and watch the world go by.
We didn't do any trips as we have done them before when we have been to Turkey, I would recommend the boat trip or jeep safari if you are looking for a couple of fun days out.
There are some negative reviews for this hotel but if you want a relaxing holiday, with good food, plentiful drinks and friendly staff this is a great place to go.

Room Tip: Go for a villa the view is spectacular, sitting on your balcony first thing in the morning and watching the sunrise is priceless.
3  Thank Moowards
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Friendly Smiling Staff who where always happy to help and try there hardest to make your holiday special.

It had something for everyone.
Family areas and pool side fun or relax in peace down by the sea.
Very Clean well kept, huge selection of food and drinks, live music, family entertainment.
Peaceful areas for couples.

You would have to be a real critic not to enjoy your self and find fault.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room then you should say something as I am confident the staff will do there best to make your stay a happy one. The older more rustic style bungalows rooms are were acceptable, we were perfectly happy there. We were offered a deluxe room in the main block with out even asking with no further costs. I have been told the rooms facing the pool area (ours) and sea are better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We have just returned from a 1 week stay at the Mares Hotel. We had a lovely holiday, all staff were very friendly and welcoming. We stayed in the deluxe rooms in the hotel building which were beautiful, we had fresh fruit and wine in our bedrooms on arrival, robes and slippers for the bathroom all complimentary with our rooms. Free safes in rooms. We had two lovely sized pools, 1 with also waterslides. The food was a good selection to choose from, but it was mostly the same choice of foods every night. We had a great bar man named camielle served us cocktails almost every night very friendly bloke. There was lots to do through the day at the hotel aqua aerobics, darts, tennis, gym, pool games, turkish baths and sauna etc. Entertainment in the evening was ok, would of been better if it was indoors, as the weather in the evenings was chilly so make sure you take cardigans ladies. Overall had a great holiday and would go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view with deluxe rooms in the hotel building, as I over heard the bungalows wasnt as higher standard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

we enjoyed our stay here, food good no complaints, hotel room very clean, use of several restaurants included, we stayed in a bungerlow the views were stunning would return to this hotel again.

3  Thank debs780