“5 star????”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed 17 June 2012

firstly i will start by saying it looks like a 5 star but the service is more like a 2 star! there was 5 of us and on the first night we were put in a family room with no air con and we had paid for 2 rooms. we got there early hours of the morning and was extremely tired so for me this was an issue, especially as i'm pregnant. the next day after little sleep i was exhausted and we did get upgraded rooms after a lot of trying. not a great start to our 5 day holiday.

the food is average, nothing special tbh. you have to pay for ice cream and cakes as they are extra. you also have to put a deposit of 20tl for a beach towel you borrow.

as check out is at 12, i tried to get a late checkout the second day i got there as our flight didn't leave till early hours of the morning and our transfer was picking us up at 10.30pm, so between 12 and 22.30 we had no room/shower or anywhere to rest. they asked us to come to reception on the day to receive a late check out, which i did and they said they had nothing. i don't get how you can accommodate more guest when the ones that are already here are not satisfied. the reason it was a big issue is I wasn't well and needed rest as i had a bit of an episode on the 3rd day there, due to lack of sleep and food i had a small seizure. if it was only me i wouldn't have been too bothered but because i was pregnant it was scary being in a different country. you can imagine how tired i was by the time i got home which was till 9am english time the next day. i needed a good rest before i got the flight home but i didn't which really got to me as i was already scared of something happening to baby. Late checkout was a necessity for me as i needed the rest but they didn't seem to understand this.
i got home drained and saw dr asap, baby was fine just needed a good rest and some decent food.

I feel like you should get what you paid for and we definatley didn't. Gutted to be honest expected a good girly holiday and came back never wanting to go turkey again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sav1986
There are newer reviews for Labranda Mares Marmaris

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Firstly let me say that the hotel looks amazing on all the web sites, this is really not the case.

We arrived late afternoon, checked in and had our cases brought to us by a jolly chap.
The "villa/bungalow/apartment" was tired and dated, needs modernising. The air conditioning was adaquate. However all air con is switched off from the early hours of the morning until 4pm, so if you want to sleep in, be aware it gets like a suana.

The bathroom was tired, a tiny bin (broken), the sealant around the bath was mouldy.
The television in our room had missing buttons, and the remote did not work( much to our teenage childrens disgust)

The cleaning service was an absolute joke. We were left with no toilet roll for three days, despite a call to housekeeping. we were only given three towels (4 guests). some days the cleaner did even come. at all. On one occassion we returned to a blue plastic bin bag, dumped outside our door, with toilet roll, and bedding and a towel in .Our floor was not mopped once during our two week stay.And the bathroom was not touched, apart from emptying the bin.The bed was very uncomfortable, the pillow was like it was full of matted cotton wool balls.

The main restaurant in the hotel was light and attractive, boasting ouside dining over looking the sea. Buffet service, Find a table if you were lucky not to be run over by a russian.
Food looks fabulous in entrance, nice little entre dishes, salads etc, however, did not match on taste..
Queue up for hot food, russians push straight in front of you, Pile thier plates so high that you have to ruthless and forcefull.
Their is not enough staff to clear and re-lay the tables, so you can be sat at a dirty table for 5 mins before it was cleared and re laid.

The pools are clean but a dreadfull aroma from the drains .Far to many sunbeds , i like space.
The surface is very slippery, The drinks spilt on the floor, remained their all day, so a wasp infestation was upon us daily.The kids loved the slides in the top pool. Daily entertainment around the pool was awfull. The music was so loud, and the commentator was even louder.
i can only liken it to Butlins .You have to put a deposit down for the towels, which were old and tatty, and can only be changes twice a week.

The beach area was lovely, quite serene in comparison to the pool area, plentiful sunbeds and a lovely friendly bar man "Ferdi". Paved area , no sand.

Plus points, plentiful seating areas for drinks and coffee, over looking the sea. The sunsets are beautiful. The waiters at the Sultan bar were friendly and helpfull.

No ice creams for the children were included, despite being advertised on the website as all inclusive. Waffles and icecream were extra at the pool bar, with a funny attentative employee..

Despite tatty external paintwork, the garden areas were kept well maintained and are very pretty.

So to sum up, a very expensive holiday with great expectations of a 5*, to find meager 3* hotel and service. very disapointing , and will not recommend , and definately will not be returning.

We are regular travellers and have stayed in better 4* accomodation. Don't go there!!

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are far better than the villas.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Be patient with me as I feel I have a few good points :)

Hotel - Very grand looking and one of the best we've been too. Loads of rooms to enjoy drinks in. Plenty of balcony's to sit out on with a sea view.

Rooms - We seemed to be upgraded for free to a sea view room in one of the separate apartment blocks set aside from the main hotel. Stunning views. Rooms need updating but they do the trick. Smelt a bit foisty. You can also have a sea view from the Hotel. A garden view can be one of the lower apartment blocks or the block that overlooks the car park.

Sun Loungers - There seemed plenty at a first glance but if your not up early enough they'll all be gone! The private 'beach' area (no beach but lovely stoned flooring overlooking the sea) is packed with loungers. The best place to get the sun all day is the Jetti out over the water right by the pool bar. You literally have to get up at 6am if you want these loungers!! if someone see's you going they'll jump in your grave!! Note - if all else fails people dont realise that the other Jetti that the boats are allowed to Moore up too is owned by the hotel and is for your use. Think green wooden loungers are provided.

Bars - There are 5 bars. One pool side. One just below the pool. One inside of the hotel opposite reception. One next to the dinning hall and one beside the sea. Only the bar below the pool area and the 2 bars in the hotel serve 'spirits' alcohol drinks. The pool and sea front bars serve larger and wine only. I found this annoying as I dont drink either so had a bit of a walk if I fancied a drink while sunbathing by the sea.

Dinning - The main dinning hall with indoor and outdoor eating. Your not seated so its first come first served. I apparently seat in someone's seat (a russian women was non too pleased). Food is in the plenty - salad, posh looking individual starters on spoons. Lots of fish, rice, chips, crepes, pizza, chicken/lamb dishes. Loads of the usual puddings. NO special night. 3 other restaurants available at the hotel but you have to book. 1 free booking for 1 weeks stay 2 free bookings for 2 weeks stay. Book early.

Pool - We never stayed around here as it was packed with children and there is a water slide. Plenty of sun loungers but believe me they need them for the size of the hotel. If your not there early enough then you'll not get one.

Dolphin Experience - The dolphin therapy experience is built over the water to the left of the hotel. We couldn't resist and loved it.

Water sports - Plenty available and we paid £50 for 2 single para sailing.

Turkish baths - The hotel has a spa. Its in Euro's and is more expensive but more personal for this experience. We went with the rep and it was like being herded like cattle from one room to the other with 15 other people. Still a unique experience.

24hr Cake shop (most are free for all inclusive)

Downside - The hotel has mostly Russian guests. Unfortunately they can come across as very rude. They don't know how to queue and slap there hands on bars to yell out 'wine!' 'beer!'. You literally have to fight for your food sometimes as its a free for all.

Upside - One of the best looking hotel's in the area. Set aside and private. Looks lovely and grand with lovely well kept gardens.

Room Tip: Garden view can sometimes mean car park which is not the best. Sea view can be the apartment blocks...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lorraine l
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just returned from my first holiday in Turkey, staying at the Mares. We stopped in a family apartment and as others said they are a little tired and could do with some modernising, especially the shower/toilet and upgrading the air conditioning. Maybe enough of an issue for some to complain but the amount of time we spent in the apartment was minimal. The apartment was cleaned daily, towels changed and fridge stocked with 3-4 bottles of water.

The main hotel was clean and modern (can't comment on rooms here though). Hotel staff were very friendly and some seemed to go out of their way to make conversation with you and make you feel welcome. They also work very hard!

We were all inclusive, no complaints about the beer or cocktails. Ask for your regular spirits or fancy cocktails then expect to pay for them, why can't people understand that the all inclusive usually covers local beers & spirits? No problem with the Efes pilsner and wife had no complaints with any of her cocktails. Get to know the staff, especially in the Sultan bar and they will look after you! Disappointed about the ice-cream not being included in the all inclusive.

Breakfast is varied, plenty to choose from including salads, cheeses, cold meats, croissants, omelettes, scrambled eggs, hot meats, baked beans, pancakes and other hot foods. Again people complaining about no pork sausages or bacon, plenty of cafe/bars do full English breakfasts in the town. I was under the impression you go on holiday to sample other cultures and their food.

Little dissapointed that we couldn't eat in the Chamlik restaurant or the pizzeria in the evening due to being fully booked but kids had a decent burger for lunch in the Chamlik restaurant. Evening mealtime is a nightmare if you go up early. We went up one night before the 7pm opening time and people already queuing up to get a table, staff open the doors and it's mayhem. I can only compare it to the opening of a department store at the beginning of the January sales, staff could hardly open the doors before people push past rush into the dining area (yup it's the Russians). Again the food was varied, plenty of salad, meats and a variety of hot food and only time kids can get free ice-cream.

A lot of people are complaining about the Russians, here I must agree with people. Whilst there were the odd one or two who did say thank you or at least acknowledge you when you have held a door open for them, sadly the majority were rude, arrogant, lack any manners and have no idea of the concept of queuing for food or drinks at the bar.

Pools are great, not too busy. Entertainment in the evening is varied, shows, karaoke etc in the main area by the small pool and a band played each evening at the sultan bar.

Not so much of a beach at the hotel, more a paved area, no complaints from our kids here though. Proper beaches are only a short walk away from the hotel.

Overall enjoyed our stay, few minor irritations so to speak but not enough to spoil our holiday and the staff at the sultan bar (Burak, Ahmet etc) soon cheer you up!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Uberlamo
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We booked this 5 star hotel and assumed we would be getting 5 star treatment.
We had been told about the hotel by a friend who had been before and were looking forward to it.
We booked a "2 bedroom family bungalow" as we have 2 daughters.
We arrived at midnight and were taken to our accommodation which was awful and tatty and not even 3 star let alone 5! The kids moaned and said they didn't want to stay. It looked like something from the 70's so the first thing I had to do was complain which is something I hate doing...typically English of me I'm afraid.
We were given new accommodation the next day after having to visit reception and this was more to an expected standard but would still say it's no where near 5 star (some damp issues from the air conditioning).
We did speak to other guests and it did seem like this was a typical tactic as loads seemed to have to complain before getting what was expected.
Surely all the rooms or villas should be of an equal quality in a 5 star hotel?

If you are going all inclusive please be warned that this is not really all inclusive like some places you may have been before.
Ice creams are now extra (apparently this was changed 6 weeks prior to our visit). you can get Ice cream at meal times between certain times but this was not always the case and low and behold my wife had to complain about this in order to get one for our 8 year old.
The pizza restaurant boasted 5 lunchtime pizzas but you only actually got 1 type! cheese and tomato 2 days running.
Made up cocktails in bars like Pina Colada etc are extra. The tea and coffee bar has a wonderful display of cakes but these are all extra; the inclusive ones are all stuck in a display case to the side and are plain.
The main restaurant is good and the food was varied but it was a bit like feeding time at the zoo and this was made worse by the Russians / Eastern Europeans being unable to grasp the concept of queuing and basic manners. I met a few people who were returning customers who said the food had slipped from previous visits and who would not be coming back.

Talking about the Russians / Eastern Europeans, be prepared... they do not seem to understand the concept of the words "please" and "thank you" and are very rude...I did feel sorry for the staff who were all generally very friendly and you could see their body language change when serving our eastern comrades...I guess its just a cultural thing but I know what the staff preferred.

Anyway apart from these issues (which actually look a lot when I read back!) we were happy with the hotel and the staff and it's location is wonderful but I'd say its more 4 star than 5.

Room Tip: Get a hotel room not a villa / bungalow
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Bona K
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I am reviewing this hotel to my honest opinion. I booked this hotel through hotels4U which claimed to offer it at a sale price from around £1,450 and along with the on-line discount it worked out at about £1,000 (Just for the hotel) As naïve as I am and also reading some great reviews I was excited about my first trip to Turkey. The hotel claimed to offer three restaurants and all this waiter service, I really was thinking it was going to be luxury. I wanted it to be even better so I paid an extra £100 to have a Villa over looking the sea.
On arrival at the hotel we headed to reception where we got greeted by a friendly looking and polite chap but then as he tapped our names into the computer he must have realized that we were two guys sharing a double room. I don’t know for sure but the way he looked at us and then covered his mouth with the paperwork he was holding then called somebody else from the office and preceded to mumble something into that person ear and then took off like a jet plane leaving the other chap from the office to deal with us whilst looking embarrassed said it all really!
The Bell boy was friendly and pointed us in the direction of our ‘Villa’ and he delt with getting our suitcases over to us. It was only after 6pm but the sun had gone over the mountain so it put the hotel in the shade and felt a lot later than it actually was so it was no surprise as we walked past the pool to our ’Villa’ (with a sea view) there was no guests to be seen.
Ok so the room was tidy and had a big massive balcony area but to my mind it was far from a Villa. The definition of the word villa 1. holiday home: a house rented for a holiday, especially one rented abroad 2. expensive house: a large luxurious house. So to me we got a one room chalet type place, sorry if you add the small bathroom that’s two rooms. Now don’t get me wrong the view from the balcony was nice, you could see the sea through the trees and it was sort of nice but absolutely not what I had envisioned what-so-ever. It was then I was having doubts about its 5* statues as the room were very dated, shabby and dull. Although they were clean the cracks in the tiling and the sealant smudged all round the bath didn’t say 5* to me.
The Restaurant - Plenty of food around however you had to queue a lot. Unless you were Russian and thought it was perfectly normal for a whole family to push in because they knew somebody at the front. There are four hot serving areas and you need to queue for each one so by the time you queue for the chips your chicken has gone cold, by time you queue for the vegetables the chips and chicken are cold and by the time you go queue at the bar for a drink the little (cute) birds have flown in and pinched half your dinner. Ok so its not as bad as what it sounds but it can be a traumatic experience at times, specially if you get into an argument with any Russians. Other things about the restaurant are plenty of bread chioce and salads. Lots and lots of fish type sushi stuff going on (YULK) You can only have one scoop of ice cream at dinner if you queue with all the kids for half an hour otherwise as an all inclusive hotel you have to pay for Ice cream. Also they don’t cater for British people. I can’t eat eggs so I couldn’t have a cooked breakfast, I know it’s a Muslim country but Im not a Muslim so I would like bacon and sausage for my breakfast, you couldn’t even get baked beans. I had to put my bread through the toasting machine four times before it got toasted. The other restaurants you had to book. We tried to book the traditional Turkish restaurant giving 48hrs notice but were told it was fully booked and had to wait 4 days to get in. However when the ‘Special night’ arrived we walked down to the candle lite restaurant over looking the sea, just before we were about to walk in a chef was dashing in and out the kitchen with a burning cigarette in his mouth. We never had dinner there and run off before they spotted us.
The pool - was nice and they played games and music, it was quite relaxing really. Like anywhere, you had to be up early to claim a sun bed. The annoying thing for me was the pool bar. First of all I never met such a miserable barman in my life. Everyone else was friendly and had a joke but there is one young fat lad that works the bar and looks like he’d been slapped across the face with a wet fish all week. But the biggest annoyance was the Coca-Cola cups you got served your drinks in, that’s unless you wanted a Coca-Cola and then got that served in a small plastic (blow-away-in-the-wind) cup. I know its by the pool so we have to use plastic tumblers but I don’t want to drink my beer from a cardboard Coca-Cola cup. I nice strong ridged plastic tumbler would be nice, you know, like you would expect at a 5* hotel.
A round up - Rooms got cleaned daily. Had to chase for a second towel as they only left one on the second day. On the last day we thought we’d be nice and leave everything nice and tidy for the maids so we took all the sheets off the bed only to discover blood on the mattress and urine stains, big huge patches of urine stains. I’ve never complained about a hotel so much normally I would say you get what you paid for. If I book into a 2* hotel I expect certain things and it I book into a 3* or 4* I expect better things, so this being a 5* and it wasn’t cheap I expected it to be really nice. If this hotel was rated as a 3* I would have given it a fantastic review. As a 3* this hotel would be a great hotel 100% However I have been put off Turkey as a whole because people keep saying that their star rating isn’t the same as ours in the UK. I’ve stayed as 5* in Greece a couple of times and it was beyond amazing and they are only next door to Turkey!
So look at this hotel as a 3* and then you won’t be disappointed by anything. Well maybe the same band singing the same songs every night in the outside open bar might start to grate on you by the third night so best pay for a taxi into town and pay for your dinks somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel part as the sea views in the so called villas aren't worth the extra money and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the Mares Grand Yazici May 2012 on a last minute holiday.
First impressions were excellent, we were met at the airport on time and taken to the hotel where check in was very efficient. We asked for a villa with a sea view which is what we were allocated in fact the view was spectacular. The Villas are clean and comfortable but could do with a major facelift, having said that for the amount of time actually spent in the room it certainly didn't mar our holiday the bed was big and very comfortable and the power shower was amazing, There is a hairdryer in the bathroom if you have an hour to spare to dry your hair if not I would suggest taking your own, The villas would benefit from tea and coffee making facilities unfortunately there aren't any so if you are an early riser you have the choice of water unless you want to go up to the main hotel. the maid let us down as we had to go searching for clean towels and on one occasion some toilet roll, having said that we met up with two other British couples one of which were staying in the hotel and the other a villa, the ones staying in the hotel said their room was lovely and was well equipped every day with fresh towels and bottles of water and the ones staying in the villa also said they had no problems so our particular gripes we put down to the maid.
Guest relations were really helpful and advised us of the best place to go when we visited Marmaris, we got a taxi in for 18TL approx £6 and a water taxi back 20TL
The day after check in we went to breakfast and I must admit I was impressed with the choice for breakfast we have stayed in 5 star hotels in Turkey before and have never had so much choice, there was fresh fruit, yogurt, pancakes, cereals, eggs, bread with various preserves and the usual array of cold meats and cheeses along with a huge selection of dried fruits and berries and even a dish of turkish delight if you like that sort of thing for breakfast!
The pool area was very clean and tidy, the pool bar had a drinks machine where you can help yourself to fruit juice or water and if you want something stronger there is a barman to serve alcohol. You do have to pay for icecream by the pool though! There is entertainment daily which can get a bit noisy although fun to watch, if you are looking for something quieter there are sunbeds on the marina and along the front. The poolside toilets weren't as clean as I would have liked so I used the hotel toilets, there is also an internet cafe which is reasonably priced.
Lunch was varied each day with a choice of 2 soups lots of salad, chips and usually fish or chicken as well as freshly made flatbread, pizza and bread, the evening meal usually consisted of much the same as the lunch time menu, I'm extremely fussy and didn't have any problem with the food in this hotel.The array of desserts was amazing although they are very sweet the rice pudding was by far the best.
The hotel reception, bars, restaurant and grounds were really clean maintained to the highest standards, the staff work really hard to make everything perfect for your holiday.
The negatives are that it's a very big hotel and has a large proportion of Russian guests that seem to leave their manners at home when on holiday, they push in the queues and think nothing to barking orders at the bar staff.
The Bar staff are brilliant really earn their money, the drinks are very good not like some of the cheaper alcohol that some hotels serve. We had a la carte in the pizzeria which was fantastic we couldn't get into the other a la cartes so I can't comment on them, In the Pizzeria I had salmon with spinach and my husband had medallions of beef it was beautifully presented and made a lovely change from being pushed in front of in the buffet restaurant.
The entertainment staff organised an evening out into Bar Street which is aptly named as it's wall to wall bars but it was nice to break the bubble and see some night life.
You can walk either way right along the front into Marmaris or Icemelar which is a lovely walk with plenty of pavement cafes to stop at and have a drink and watch the world go by.
We didn't do any trips as we have done them before when we have been to Turkey, I would recommend the boat trip or jeep safari if you are looking for a couple of fun days out.
There are some negative reviews for this hotel but if you want a relaxing holiday, with good food, plentiful drinks and friendly staff this is a great place to go.

Room Tip: Go for a villa the view is spectacular, sitting on your balcony first thing in the morning and watch...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Moowards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
Quadas Hotel
Quadas Hotel
#64 of 76 in Icmeler
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!