“Great hotel...food could be better”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Great hotel, the staff are absolutely brilliant except the guy Scuzek (I think) who calls himself as Food and Beverage manager but is probably the most rude supervisor I have ever seen. The other staff are absolutely great especially Ulas, Svitlena, Romeo and the rest of the entertainment team who work so hard to ensure guests have absolutely great holidays. Pool side activities and games including slides are great too, a bit more water in one of the slides would have been better though.
The hotel is in a great location with excellent sun beds, private beach and best of all excellent kids activities so parents can relax too. Kids disco and adults disco are an excellent way to end the night unless you want to sit in the late bar or have late/ early morning coffee. 4 different bars with free pouring drinks make all inclusive worth it.
Buffet is huge with great variety of salads and desserts which hardly change throughout the week hence you feel tired of the same food after 3 or 4days. Not enough varieties in hot food though but soups taste great. You have to be there at 7 pm in the queue to taste the lovely huge chocolate cake as it is gone by 720 pm only to be replaced by gelatine based dull desserts. Some local cuisinie on a few nights would be so much better. Live bread from one of the station is worth waiting in the queue. Breakfast buffet is brilliant with excellent variety all the way through.
Rooms are probably 30 years old with TVs straight from antique shops. If you book a villa ensure it is one on 2nd or 3 rd floor at least, anything lower than that will only give you a view of trees.
I think the food is maximum 3 stars but the staff, facilities and location makes it 5 stars so overall 4 stars would be a fair score.

Room Tip: Higher floors are definitely recommended
1  Thank Vikas N
There are newer reviews for Labranda Mares Marmaris

Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mares hotel over the easter break. The hotel comonn area are well mantained and landacaped gardens with fabuls view of the bay. Really beautiful.
It is only a stroll to Icmeler town where you can find a good range of shops and restaurants and of course the weekly market on a wednesday. With lots of bargains. Alternatively you can catch a Dolmus bus to Marmaris for 2.5lira! The bus stop is just outside the hotel. The rooms are quite basic especially the villas but we were given one with hreat sea view at no extra cost and evetything was working and spotless so no complaints there.
The food was really nice. Lots of healthy options to choose from and everything fresh. Loved the turkish pizza!
The only disappointing thing for us was they advertise 4 restaurants but only 2 were open. The buffet and the italuan. The fish and turkish restaurants were closed as the spa and gym. We found out the hotel only opened the day before our arrival ence why they were still getting organised.
One last tip... Don't miss out the Sultan bar at sunset! Fernando is a top barman and makes the best cocktails! Enjoy it.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank beachholidays08
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Have just returned from a weeks stay at the grand mares. The surroundings are beautiful and the location is good for accessing both mar marks and Ichmeler plus there's quite a lot to do in the area. However, whilst I appreciate that it was the beginning of the season, I do wonder how the hotel will cope in the summer as they were I'll prepared for the number of guests. This was very evident in the buffet style restaurant where guests queued for up to 40 mins for hot food. Moreover the entertainment consisted of two singers and was the same every evening. W e had a nice time but mainly because we were out on excursions most days.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim P
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Despite going on about 3 holidays a year this was our first taste of all inclusive, and it didn't put us off completely.

We wanted a cheap break in the sun and that is what we got. I paid around £1400 for 1 week flights, transfers and AI for 4 in a 'villa' in the school holidays. When we arrived the villa turned out to be a normal sized hotel room in the outer part of the hotel in the grounds. Next morning we asked to change to a room with 2 bedrooms and paid the £50 fee for the week. The accommodation was basic, no little bottles of moisturiser, no slippers, no towelling robe. Worse than that, it smelled damp, was cold (no way of heating it) and the beds/bedding and towels would not be described as luxurious. The block was ugly and badly designed, in that there was a fabulous view of the sea but once seated on the (entirely charmless) terrace due to the solid balustrade you couldn't see a thing. The whole thing was in drastic need of a refurbishment, but it was spacious and the water was hot. Maid service was chaotic, linens were changed once.

The complex was large and well landscaped and mostly well maintained. We liked to sunbathe on the terrace by the sea, soaking up the sun and the glorious view of the bay. Although it was not in the sun during the afternoon. However, much of the hotel was not operational, ie only the pizza restaurant was open, the gym was being refurbed (opened up for our last few days) and the spa was closed for a refit too. They also decided that this was the optimal time to be doing building work on the sea terrace, and some of it was closed off. The pools are not heated which meant that the small children found them uncomfortably cold, but my kids enjoyed the water-slides and pool, the pool tables, football and the table tennis. The pool area I found uninspiring, and the music, too loud.

Overall the staff were helpful and pleasant, but I would describe the package as more like full board with drinks as there didn't seem to be much in the way of snacks available in the afternoons despite the long duration between the end of lunch service 2pm and the start of dinner 7pm, as a result on several evenings pre 7 a large crowd gathered at the door to the dining hall and rushed in when the doors opened creating a hectic atmosphere and creating queues for the hot food options.

The staff maintained the white table cloths well and cleared the plates quickly, the cold food was plentiful, mezze, breads, and salad, but the hot food often required waiting, although not for more than 5 minutes usually. Options included, chicken, fish or lamb and vegetables. Most of which I would describe as OK rather than great. I did have a upset tummy for 24 hours too, although was the only one of my party to suffer it. The wine, was in my opinion undrinkable, so I stuck to the larger and rum instead.

Clientèle was I think about 80-90% British, mix of classes with some Turks and other middle easterners. Most were well behaved.

The kids enjoyed a trip to the dolphin park.

We had a reasonable holiday, but if I was in the area again, I would stay elsewhere.

1  Thank RedSquirrel5
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were a group of 14 ages ranging from 3 - 51, and we ALL had a great time. Where we reported a problem it was quickly dealt with. Yes there was a damp smell in two of the apartments, yes there was flaking render along the edges of all the walls by the apartments, yes you could lift one safe straight out the wardrobe, yes the spa was closed so we couldn't have the anticipated treatments, and the fish restaurant hadn't yet opened. but. Staff were brilliant, food was amazing, beautiful setting and a real bargain family holiday.

Room Tip: We emailed well in advance and got the apartments with two separate bedrooms that gave us real flexi...
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Albeit it states it is 5 star, I would not rate this compared to UK 5 stars, but there again I would not rate and hotel in Cuba, Spain, Tunisia or Turkey as they state it is , however taking into account what we paid for the hotel I would recommend to anyone. Peak season would see all the facilities open and the weather would be better but all in all the hotel facilities are very good, staff seem friendly and the food is as you would expect, not all to my liking but you can certainly live on it, lots,of salad and I mean lots..... But hot food very Turkish orientated so if you only eat English food, you will be disappointed, except Cuba this is the only Orel I would revisit, however later in the season would be better.

Room Tip: The villa rooms seem to be of the poorer quality, however I never entered into one of the main hotel...
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We are a family group of six and are due to return to the Mares Hotel for the 3rd time next week (Easter Holidays) and I have to agree with Michael A regarding the food quality at this hotel, it is first class with a lot of choice to suit all tastes, along with the rooms we stayed in were also superb.

After the first year we stayed there we were sent a Xmas card with free upgrade for any future visit to a much higher room standard.

The staff were also very friendly and could not do enough for us to make our stay there enjoyable.

I also appreciate why some of the reviews are negative and not so good, most being at peak time, and I could imagine it would be very different when the hotel is full, where long queues are the norm and general quality may suffer.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Hotel for an out-of-season break, as we ARE choosy and frequent many other resorts in Turkey and elsewhere several times a year.

Room Tip: Main Building with Sea Views recommended
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
Quadas Hotel
Quadas Hotel
#68 of 77 in Icmeler
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!