“More like a 4 star with rationed food”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Asked for a room upgrade as soon as we checked in, we were moved from the rooms overlooking the car park (side annex building) to the main hotel overlooking the sea front (no extra charge). Thanks for that tip from a previous TripAdvisor review!

Hotel staff were as miserable as sin, however the in-hotel shop keepers were very welcoming (I wonder why?). The only staff member we genuinely liked was 'Jesus', he was great to talk to, normally found around the main pool area.

The rooms were good (not fantastic), comfortable and the maids cleaned & replaced towels every day.

As an all inclusive deal we found the food to be very nice, although a bit limited in choice, repetitive (same thing all week) and trays not refilled often. The hotel is very popular with the Russians who seemed to storm the food hall, filling their table with many plates, thus leaving little left for others to pick. Dining time was a bit of a 'bun-fight' in the end, people not queing, kids eating of serving spoons. Too much waste and hassle spoilt it overall.

The hotel itself is quite plush, nice lobby, bars and pool. Be prepared to pay for any ice cream or join a very long queue for the short time it is available during the evening.

A lovely quiet location, very secure with their own on-site security. Views across the bay are beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room at check in or at best, stay in the main hotel block, not the annex in the c...

Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel just about managed over our two week holiday. I wouldn't recommend going at peak season as it would be a total waste of money. You will spend more time queuing in the main buffy restaurant than sunbathing and as for finding a sun bed, no chance. The evening and daytime entertaining was a bit lacking also. Our room was very nice in the main building and cleaned daily and towels exchanged daily. I would return to this hotel but it would have to be before the season starts in June. Other than that everything else was as you would expect from a all inclusive hotel of this size.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was a first holiday for me and my boyfriend so we wanted it to be a nice and relaxing holiday, but it wasn’t what we were expecting. When we first arrived at the hotel we was given the wrong room after a long journey and arriving at 2 in the morning we just wanted to get our heads down, we wanted a double but was given a twin with a z-bed double bed, however when i went to reception it was quickly sorted out and was given a double room. Our first experience with breakfast was interesting, it is obvious that this hotel finds it difficult to cater for the amount of people that were staying at the hotel, there was no organisation and everyone running to a table so that they could sit and eat and queue are stupidly long!! Breakfast selection was a bit strange unless you like eating potatoes for breakfast. Because of this we skipped breakfast every morning, however there is a nice bar that serves a proper breakfast down the road, lunch wasn’t any better neither was dinner all the tables are full of plates anf rubbish so we some night we had to clear our own table, so unless you eat at the a la carte restaurant which can at times be difficult to get a reservation, which on a plus note I would recommend the wine was nice(not like the one in the bars unless you love the taste of vinegar) and the food was an improvement from the food hall upstairs. For us as a couple we wanted a peaceful holiday so we decided to skip sitting by the pool and sit on the harbour instead better view and away from children crying and running about. Most of the staff was pleasant especially the bar staff they made the holiday better, not much can be said about the reception staff, a smile wouldn’t go a miss and very patronizing. The spa was excellent, the staff in there are really friendly and we opted for a foam bath which was really relaxing, my boyfriend went to the gym everyday and loved it. So overall there was plus points and we did enjoy our holiday but it was more of a family hotel lots for kids to do with the club however not a great match for couples or families with older children. i think this hotel needs to find what they are best at and stick to it, it is so obvious it is a young families hotel and nothing else.

Room Tip: First of all check that you have been given the right room, AVOID the villas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

we booked here and didn't take much notice of the bad reviews, now we wish we did!

Reception staff very rude! they dont understand a word you say and don't mind leaving you waiting!

our room was damp with mould growing it was that bad we didn't unpack our cases! photos included

our 10 month old baby travel cot under the sheets mould growing!

accomadation:
damp mouldy water leaks, room service changed bedding everyday but no towels, it was so dirty I had to get a sweeping brush mop, bucket disinfectant and febreeze (I do not have ocd this is how dirty it was)
we did get moved but same problem and right next to the pool, so couldn't sleep with the music so loud!

Entertainment - Was ok not much aqua in the morning was good and that's about it, kids disco at 9pm was good but I thought it was a bit late on, niko is crazy nice friendly but when it came to water polo he just messed about dancing and not keeping score so my husband didn't play again.
am glad my kids are only 5 and a baby and was fine just playing in the pool as not much to do for them and the kids club room is damp, I went in there with my children and I wouldn't leave them as they don't watch all the children in the next room! so anything could happen.
music far to loud round the pool!

best staff that are far better for this hotel is malcome icecream bar is brilliant very friendly (icecreams are chargable at 5 lira each
jesus out the spa ha his a very funny and friendly

umit is the best great waiter loves kids and gets them served first he is on the pizzeria restaurant were you can go for snacks to, which a lot of people didn't know about.

Food:
there is a non existence 24 our cake and coffee bit, its just coffee and tea, food is cold the same very oily omelettes kids food you have to run in the restaurant at 7pm to get any, not healthy foods there either very poor for a Thomas cook 4 star hotel, if u don't mind cold food and run to get it as when its gone its gone on the good side they give you cold big bottels of water ;-)

the hotel area pool and beach are very clean shame about our accommodation

beach is fab not many people like it has it has stones and rocks! plenty of sunbeds there and quieter then the pool.

swimmingpool, beware not to leave anything on sunbeds my husbands tshirt sunglasses and flipflops got pinched! there is plenty of sunbeds

Thomas cook trips~: booked to go on shoppers delight - waited 45 mins in the heat and they didn't turn up!

jolly rodger pirate cruise great day out,
Turkish delight factory which is free pick up and drop of service you just have to see your rep, great Turkish delight very recommended.

take me out trip, ok but its very dearer and they take you in pubs that are dearer! stupid games that was not even played and the reps just try to dance on the stage!

try another hotel with better reviews honestly. :-)

2  Thank gemma f
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Just returned from two weeks at Mares. Room was musty, beds were actually damp. Room changed but had to pay £50 for upgrade to something suitable. Food was varied but never warm.
Pizza snack bar the best as freshly cooked for you. Entertainment was lacking owing to a lack of staff. Nikko, although a lovely guy, seemed to just "pose" all the time. Usually at the bar. Well placed hotel for Icmeler 20tl in a taxi / 2.50tl on Dolmush and Marmaris 25tl taxi and 2.50tl Dolmush. No beach. Rooms cleaned infrequently and poorly. Beds changed every two days but not towels. A/C never worked, though reported 5 times. Plenty of sunbeds. Mainly Russians and Bulgarians at hotel. We would most certainly not return to Mares as there are better hotels for less money nearby. 10 years coming to Turkey.

Room Tip: Sea view or main building. Avoid the Villas like the plague.
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Mares Hotel is superb.
I've never left a review before but after reading a few that made me worry about my choice (after I had booked) I thought I would share my families experience.
There were 4 adults and my 3 children, I stayed with my brother and two children in one of the villas (3501 if anyone is interested), it was very close to the pool bar and pool, a 1 minute walk to the pizzeria, 2 mins to Yunos resteraunt (main banquet hall), 1 minute from the Sultan bar and only a short, pleasant walk through the gardens to the beach/promenade/jetties.
The villa was 3 rooms, main bedroom, living/kitchen area (oven didn't work but was all inclusive so didn't need it) and a twin room, there was also a sofa bed, dining table inside, the biggest veranda I've ever seen including a table, and obviously a bathroom with shower over the bath. The view was lovely and the fragrance from all the blossoming trees was nice.
I didn't see my parents room, 1st floor above reception but they seemed satisfied.
I read some reviews that said the food was terrible. I disagree wholeheartedly, the food was fantastic! It was much the same with some variations on stir fry (cooked in front of you) each night, and several dishes were not to my taste but there was so much choice you will find plenty to fill the heartiest of appetites. I was a bit of a scrum getting food and tables at 7:30 opening time but by 8pm it had settled well. Some examples of dishes available: cold buffet meats, cheeses, breads, rice, cous cous, salads etc, stir fry, Turkish pizza, grilled whole fish, potatoe wedges (fantastic), griddled chicken fillet, beef stew, moussaka, veal in mustard and tomatoe, quiche, two different soups, many different breads. Breakfast was of cereals, cold buffet meats and cheese, bread, omelette, fried eggs, American style pancakes etc. plenty of good quality food.
The pizzeria, and camlik resteraunts are also available during the day but you need to book, free, for an evening, they serve pastas, pizzas, burgers, kebabs with waiter service.
The staff were great fun, helpful, funny some spoke numerous languages. The cocktail bar (Sultan Bar) staff were excellent to watch. Drinks were good and plentiful, the band on each evening in Sultan Bar was superb. Played covers but sang English, Russian, German and Spanish songs many of you will know but in his own style.
The pools and slides were great, well kept and lifeguards on duty. I was completely at ease with my 6 year old playing around in the pool.
Paradise diving centre will visit each day at 12-12:30 and take anyone interested on a quick test dive in the pool. I highly recommend taking the dive trip, very good price in my extensive experience but be prepared to pay £20 each for photos and movie of your dive if you want. I only arrived home on Friday 31st may 2013 and I am already considering visiting Hotel Mares again. It really is that good. Enjoy folks.
Ps if anyone has specific questions email stecook@gmail.com :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We have just returned from a week at the maras.The room we had was very nice and clean with a very good size king size bed.The location was also very good you could walk into marmaris or icmeler or get the taxi boat or the dolimus from just outside the hotel.The only thing that let it down was the food it was not 5 star maybe just a 4 star.Will be returning to marmaris but not this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
Quadas Hotel
Quadas Hotel
#67 of 77 in Icmeler
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!