“Not bad but not 5 star”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
“Not bad but not 5 star”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at the Hotel for 7 nights. Lovely view, lovely weather BUT and a bit but the rooms! They were so out of date and possibly the worst 5 star I have ever stayed at. I did read about the expections in Turkey, but seriously! I came back with a back lower back as the bed was so uncomfortable. I spent a lot of time talking to the reception staff during my stay and never got anything done so basically gave up. The staff behind the reception were not very helpful especially Mustafa. I probably spoke to him about 3 times and every single time he snigered under his breathe to his colleague and I felt like I was about to ask him to build me a space ship. Really did not appreciate his tone, I asked two things for Mustafa: 1. Where can I find information about my transfer from the hotel to the airport (to which he pointed me to the "hall" and there was no information. 2. Can I check out late (to which he said no, but funny enough the lady next day did this for £25). The resort said there was a beach!!! WHAT BEACH!! really disappointed. The resort it self is really really busy especially during the lunch time period. Overall I did enjoy my stay and had to let alot of things go. I dont think I'll be going back. The kitchen staff were all very nice and helpful. The life guards the same. Just wish I did more research before spending my money. The spa is nice too...but very pushy when trying to sell you a deal. Good points: food was ok, nice water melons when there is no queue and not bad for veggie eaters either.Can't touch the weather or the view and when you have your self a sun bed your sorted!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

2 Thank Panthratan L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 4 in the morning and first impressions were not too good as we were very tired after a long day travelling, we were given a terror ride in a battered old van hitting all the corners of the roads/footpaths and taken to our room, he let us in and we were a bit taken aback as to how basic the room was, then he wouldnt leave until he got a tip!
When we woke up the next morning we had the most fantastic view of the bay, went for breakfast,food was excellent. Had an issue with our door on our room so reported it to reception, no one ever came to fix it so we ended up putting body lotion on the runners to enable us to open the door.
The hospitality staff cannot do enough for you, they work very hard and always with smiles and take time to talk to you. We used the Pizzeria and the Turkish restaurants and the food was excellent, service excellent a very enjoyable experience. The evening entertainment team worked very hard too and I think my Husband managed to even wear them out with his non stop dancing, the team at the Sultan bar deserve medals no matter how busy it got and the arrival of swarms of bees they still managed to have a laugh and make you feel special, thank you for the lovely cocktails. On the whole a very good 4star, food and service 5 star but the rooms and houskeeping let the side down sadly. The previous comment on the sunbeds I think a lot of tipping of pool attendants is the reason for no sunbeds as some beds had towels on all day but never used. If you like snorkeling the location is excelent.

3 Thank Poidy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

If you are a couple or a family with no one under the age of 18 looking for a peaceful, relaxing hotel I would suggest elsewhere, there are a lot of young children here which can obviously get very loud. The excellence of the entertainment team reflects this and if you have young children this will probably suit you. However, if the sound of children crying/screaming in the restaurant and the incredibly loud pool area as well as the sight and sound of children running around everywhere in the hotel at all hours of the day doesn't appeal then this is not at all the place for you! This is not a complaint as you can't be angry with children for being loud and having fun, it's just if you are past the age of having young children or have none etc. this will probably be exactly what you want to avoid!

Some good points:
+excellent location and view, much better than majority of hotels in marmaris
+very hardworking staff
+well kept clean rooms with mostly lovely view of the bay
+wide variety of food options
+good range of facilities and activities for young kids (kids club, slides)

The drawbacks for us personally:

This is a hotel entirely geared towards getting as many in and out as possible, very understandable and the same formula as most hotels in the area. The problem being that there is a lack of infrastructure in the hotel to cope. For example...

Huge lack of sunbeds.If you want a sun bed anywhere in the hotel prepare to get up at the break of dawn! There are literally none left by around 8-9am

In the hotel's main restaurant there is a severe lack of seating and staff. Inevitably at some point during your stay you will end up having to wait for quite a while to find a free table or will witness many others wandering around lost for somewhere to sit. I really sympathise with the staff here, they work extremely hard at all times often running around attempting to keep up. This is by no means their fault but down to management who seem to offer the waiters and waitresses little help.

A couple of smaller issues: The range of drinks and spirits at the bars are very limited. Mostly just flavoured liqueurs and syrups. Also it seems common practice when reviewing this place to let everyone know that this is not 5* by British standards, more like 3*.

Apart from these issues, which with some investment and planning could be resolved, the hotel is perfect FOR YOUNG FAMILIES. If you are a couple etc I strongly advise you to look elsewhere

3 Thank illoinventore
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is by no means a bad hotel its just not a 5 star hotel, maybe once but not now.
I would go again if the price was right and reflected a 3/4 star rating. Although im only giving 3 stars I still had a great holiday......im just picky

The 4 biggest negatives which knock the rating down are.......
1... If you want a sunbed around the pool you better be an early riser. forget about getting a bed after 9 there all gone, for one next to the pool itself you will need to be up before 6.
2...In the evening, eating in the main restaurant is like feeding time at the zoo. Finding a table can be difficult & ....watch out for Russians carrying vast amounts of cherries!
3...The villas are very tired and out of date, our first villa room was tiny, the fridge stuck out into the floor so you could hardly walk round the bed and we had an adjoining door to the next apartment with a poor lock and no sound insulation. So when a family arrived early morning and tried to get in the room through the adjoining door that made the room feel very insecure. Following that we had to deal with a crying baby for the rest of the night, since the doors had no sound insulation it felt like the young chap was in our room. Our second room was better but still had problems, again the room was past its best.
4....A waiter pushing a glass trolley dropped a glass near the small kids pool with slides on the upper level, the glass smashed and he started to pick the broken pieces out of the blue matting while young kids walked past in bare feet. I had to get out of the pool and tell him to close of that area which after some debate they did.

A few minor negatives
No beach, but we knew that before we arrived.
Poor wifi, if you need it, we didnt
Entertainment not my cup of tea really, but they seemed to look after the young ones really well

Positives
As everyone says...the views...superb....10/10
Good locations, easy to get into town....8/10
The pizza & Turkish restaurants are good. 8/10
That fresh naan bread with the mince inside and unlimited efes beer 10/10 ;-)
The food although similar most days is fresh and tasty 8/10
Sultan bar 8/10.....would be 10 if you could get a table.....tip....its nice and quiet late afternoon for a few quiet drinks
The waiters in the main restaurant deserve a medal, they are overworked and have to put up with some ill tempered rude people....cleaners are nice too

We also had problems with our non existent rep from holiday mate but that's nothing to do with the hotel.

Hope the above helps, that's a true report of my experience

Room Tip: although indicated as sea view, the lower villa rooms do not have a sea view as they are obstructed...
3 Thank stephen s
Jersey ci
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We happily returned to the Mares in Marmaris for a second time for a family holiday. Well it WASN'T a disappointment, it was BRILLIANT!! We found out once there it had changed hands but it was as good as ever. The new owner turned up in his helicopter with family and bodyguards which was nice and they didn't disrupted any guests. They upgraded most of the public area furniture while we were there without any disruption to guests. The food was plentiful and excellent quality and plenty of choice, probably better than last time. Unfortunately our favourite waiter Farte has left and he left big boots to fill. But most of the restaurant and bar staff were great. Especially the Sultan bar staff! Reception staff were on the whole good and all the porters. I have to say a special thank you to our house keeper, didn't get her name as she didn't speak much English. But she was absolutely lovely, did a fantastic job and was brilliant with our 8 year old daughter! Our biggest praise is for the fantastic entertainment staff, they all do a fantastic job!! If you visit there this year they will make sure you have an awesome holiday! My only hope is they are there the next time we visit! Thank you so much to Mami, K.C, Ana, Kiki and ALL the other entertainment staff (whose names I wouldn't even attempt to spell) you are ALL amazing at what you do!! The Turkish dancers are a must see. We only got home a couple of hours ago but can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a bungalow/villa again but not sure we'd go for one again. They are nice and spacious and...
1 Thank Sharon M
Shotts, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We encountered a problem at the very beginning with the room we had been allocated but this was very quickly, professionally and satisfactorily resolved by the reception staff.

The hotel was immaculate, a great range of food to choose from, we were all-inclusive which was great value for money, although ice cream was only available at certain times so we did find ourselves buying a few during the day.

Everything you need is on site, with private beaches etc a 2 minute walk away.

The kids club was excellent and the entertainments team (called the animation team) were first class. They made time for everyone and made the whole holiday experience a pleasure.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely like to go again in the future.

2 Thank Graeme D
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Entertainment team was wonderful excellent we all enjoyed thank you for everything ....and thanks mami and the rest of the team... I had an amazing time would love to come back! Mami and the team were absolutely amazing do nice! The shows are awesome!x

1 Thank JodieDalgliesh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
D-Resort Grand Azur
D-Resort Grand Azur
#14 of 234 in Marmaris
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!