“Needs updating and the food was very average”

Labranda Mares Marmaris
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in Icmeler
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Needs updating and the food was very average”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I had a good holiday a couple of weeks ago but felt that the hotel need updating it was not a 5 star. After staying in similar hotel's in Turkey I was disappointed with the food the choice was limited and no veg to speak of was served all week, although I booked into the Italian and the other meat resteraunt and both meals were lovely. Breakfast was a long drawn out process if you wanted eggs as per previous comments, but the cereal and fruit was always enjoyable.

The bar staff and the animation team were very friendly and kind nothing was too much trouble and we were kept busy all the time. But the Reception and guest Relations looked board and uninterested when you asked for help. I had to ask for clean towels twice which always arrived but after a couple of attempts that day and were bald and not particularly clean smelling when they arrived.

The Hotel setting is amazing and the sea views from the balcony are lovely,the gardens are well kept but the rooms are tired and small.

The sunbeds were a nightmare we were greeted at 4.30 when we arrived at the hotel by people putting towels on the sunbeds which I laughed at but no thats what people did. There was no where near enough sunbeds for guests. I would not get up at that time on holiday to get a sunbed so yes this was a problem. Although when I went to the jetty and put my towel out at 7 am I was annoyed to find people sat on my sunbeds and a towel had gone missing! We were only at breakfast not out all day like some people did.

No I would not go back to this Hotel because I have been to much better but I stlll had a lovely time thank you to the animation team and the bar staff and waiters who worked very hard to make it an enjoyable holiday.

1 Thank Adele P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We have recently returned from a 2 week stay in the Grand Yaziki Mares hotel and we have had a lovely stay although I do have a few points to make about the hotel itself. Upon arriving our check in was very smooth and we were taken via buggy to our family bungalow located within the grounds of the hotel. The bungalows are VERY basic and no way 5* I would be hard pushed to even give 2* as we had holes in the bath panel, shower curtain ripped in half, light fittings hanging off the wall and general cleaning issues! we had to get clean bedding send straight away as the sofa bed had obviously not recently been used and neither checked so when the top cover was removed it was covered in stains but all of this sorted quickly. Our mattress in the double bed was like sleeping on the floor and had to cover with another duvet and that wasn't much better. We were given a map of where each restaurant was but no indication where breakfasts lunches were so day 1 we had to find our way around but didnt have an issue and found our way pretty quickly.

The location of the hotel is amazing and the scenery is simply stunning in the whole area and we will definitely return to the area!

It was our first all inclusive holiday and was a little shocked at the frenzy at mealtimes and the pure greed of people to the point where people would fill their plates up with the more expensive food items like meats(lamb/duck etc) and keep demanding more and more until they had plates full of nothing but meat/fish and there was so much waste. Some nights where certain food items were all made to order people would que for 30 minutes plus for something all because people were having 5-10 items made up for them and they would fill their plates which is an issue that must be stopped as it was crazy! The food choice was fantastic and we thought we would get bored of the same food every night but to be honest we ate differently every night and they have 2 other restaurants on site which you can book at for an evening meal and that was also included free and they are highly recommended.

We soon realised that the pool sunbeds were in hot demand and after reading reviews previously we actually saw it 1st hand! My husband chose to get up every day at 6am to get us sunbeds and unbelievably over half were taken at this point but we realised that if you wanted to be by the pool this is what you did or waited until 3pm and a few would come free!

The beach is lovely but it isn't a sandy beach, its very small areas of shingle/pebbles - Not great for children as you were raised up on a man made sun area but we went a few times just for a change and had a great time........Water sports are amazing, not expensive and we ended up doing 3 lots of activities!

Kid Club - Amazing! Cant say anything more than that! Our children were entertained with the latest movies, coloring in, adventure walks, themed days where the children would dress up with face paints and hats and come around the pool and beach on a little treasure hunt, dolphin trips etc etc the list goes on!

Finally onto the entertainment staff - All day every day from 10am the entertainment team would have everyone involved with dancing/archery/rifle/football/aqua fit/pool games there wasn't a minute that you were not laughing at their performances! This went on into the evening where they have a mini disco to start with then more entertainment went on from fantastic dance shows, traditional night, audience interaction, Karaoke and more! They all worked so hard and I have to say they really make that hotel special.

Another quick point - The Ice cream isn't free at anytime of the day around the pool which shocked a few people.

All in all we will return to Turkey, probably not to the same hotel but we will definitely return to see the staff and have kept in touch with a few of them through Facebook.

Room Tip: Apparently the hotel had better rooms than the bungalows
5 Thank Kate W
Liskeard
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Like most reviewers no doubt, we chose the Mares Hotel through careful deliberation through the Trip Advisor reports, and the detail dotted around the internet. Much of what I will share is replicated by other contributors, but for the record our thoughts read as thus:

Room: We were located on the 1st floor of the main building. Noise was audible from the night-time entertainment as our balcony faced (partially) towards the pool area, but we can't say it was bothersome or overly too loud from where we were located. The aircon was a problem for the first two days until fixed. The hotel were quick to send up the technicians to 'tinker' with the aircon - and it was eventually coaxed into a reasonable temperature to ensure we could sleep at night. The TV had x2 dedicated English channels from the 50 available and we couldn't increase the volume to anything over a whisper - though we did ask a few times if this could be done. The beds were very comfortable, and the pull out bed was not too bad - though you could feel the main bar of the pull out if you were an adult lying on the bed. The kids were fine though. Room service was perfectly adequate and our cleaner was a nice lady who was friendly and chatty.

Pool Area: As many have mentioned already - during the peak season, you have to get up early to secure a lounger by the pool. The pool size is about right for the size of the hotel, but the problem arises because the hotel fails to implement a '1 hour and you lose it' rule that would easily remedy the problem of un-used loungers at the poolside. Without being over-sensationalist, at any one time you could expect to see 50% of the loungers un-used for most of the day - ridiculous. As the 'pool boy' is very much open to tipping (bribery?) to ensure you have a towel put down early - those of us who don't get up at 5.30am have to try and wait to pounce on the odd free one when available. We could have done without this stress in all honesty. The pool(s) themselves are refreshingly cool and inviting - the area around the pool very clean. The only problem is the marble floor. All four of my family had nasty falls on the glassy marble; there is some blue net flooring around some bits - but nowhere near enough to prevent nasty slips. That marble hurts I can tell you. The slides were fine - not an all encompassing fun-fest for the kids - but a nice and welcome addition that they enjoyed. The hotel is happy to allow low-level inflatables in the pool, and this was never a problem throughout that I could see.

Entertainment: The entertainment team were very strong. Ummet, Katya, Jackson et al put their collective heart&souls into making the holiday as enjoyable for everyone. Whether that be the morning wake up/shake up routines, the games around the pool (I particularly enjoyed the 3pm water polo) or whatever - it was done with gusto and their enthusiasm was infectious. The night time entertainment was fun, both for the kids and for us at the bar later, whether that be the in-house band or disco. No complaints whatsoever in this department.

Food/Drink: On the whole I would agree with the majority of comments. Very good and plenty of choice. By the time we left (after 2 weeks) it was just beginning to get a bit same/same - but that can't detract from the fact that the food was of a high standard, and plentiful. The deserts were often a work of art and it was a shame to eat into them! In terms of the 'All Inclusive' bit - we felt 1 hour for ice cream was a bit silly - we had to pay at the poolside 5TL for one - which isn't, in our opinion, in the spirit of AI. Snacks and so on were only available for relatively short periods out-with main dining times, but in the mid summer Turkish heat - snacks weren't what we craved. Drinks were pretty limited. 1 beer on offer - Efes - which I can't abide, though the house red wine in particular was excellent; Turkish red wine you say? Honestly - lovely stuff and I wish I could have brought some home! There were some in-house cocktails on offer, but they were home-grown concoctions that felt as cheap as they looked to be honest. Plenty of ice cold soft drinks on offer though, including Fanta and Pepsi so the kids were happy. The coffee was an acquired taste, but not intolerable to be fair.

Negatives: The Russians! Unfortunately, the Russian guests were many in number, and pretty much to the last, regarded themselves to be a cut above everyone else. This manifested itself in either pushing in to any queue, barging into lifts before you, taking your sunbed if you stepped away for a short time - this list goes on. They displayed absolutely no class whatsoever and were a real pain for the rest of us. No more so was this a problem than in the restaurant where, if you were not at dinner for 7.30pm sharp(!), you would be without a seat and jockying with these very rude and ignorant people just to get a plate and drink sorted out.

Another negative was the very obvious tipping culture that prevailed amongst some (not all) of the bar staff, and most of the bell hops. You only had to ask them something and there was a strong inference they deserved 10TL.

The reception staff were a mixed bunch. As mentioned, they worked hard to sort out our cranky aircon at the beginning, but other routine queries (and we didn't have many to be fair) could be met with a dour, unco-operative face, or someone willing to help. Babet, the manager was a good guy to know - though 'Jenks', a Turkish born Londoner employed by guest relations was a bit wet and ineffectual. Lastly, the on-site shops were very expensive in comparison to any goods - all could be bought at a fraction of the cost just down the road.

Overall a good holiday, not too far from Marmaris - and on the whole very well presented. Not 4 Star, however - we would consider visiting again.

Room Tip: We heard complaints from those in the bungalows. Had no problem with the main hotel rooms - save th...
5 Thank Tranmerelad e
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Went on a family holiday for ten days, had inter connecting rooms and was very impressed. Spacious and very clean and modern. Food choice was great, always something for everyone. The views from the hotel was truly wonderful and although I am not a beach person, I found this lovely and there were plenty of sunbeds and parasols available here. If I had to put a negative comment on here it would be that the pool area could either be bigger or another pool area available as it can become a little cramped. The Sultan bar always had some from of "live" band on until 12pm and after you could go down to the beach club to continue your partying away from the hotel so not to annoy the hotel guests. If you wanted to travel into Marmaris you are able to catch the bus just outside of the hotel and there is also a taxis rank within the hotel grounds.The staff were always polite and very helpful. Would I stay here again? ...... YES.

Room Tip: Wifi in hotel lobby
3 Thank Rachael S
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We arrived this hotel evening quick check in no problem. Travel by luggage carrier to our room like luggage there is no safety. 5 star hotel is joke,room was not clean,leak air condition make a big stain on the wall. I booked a sea view villa( that is what they call it I would call that 3 star room) sea view yes there was a glance of the sea but more you will see is cigarette butts and socks and underwear on the small roofs which look like not cleaned months. Every where you go there is a loose tiles on the roofs waiting to hurt some one badly. Pool good size over crowded with 350 sun beds and only 36 umbrellas some of the umbrellas damaged be careful when you passing them you do not want to cut your self. Pool area is very slippery even when you walking very slowly. Some of the other guest told me child fell and broke four teeth day before we arrived. Make sure you got some money in your pocket if you want to ice cream, fresh orange juice , fresh grounded coffee , Turkish coffee , candy floss, popcorn, lolly and there is a pop up glitter picture stand in the evening where they do kids disco, you will need it if you got little children. I wish I can put the pictures I took this review for you to see. My opinion would I go again that is a BIG NO would I recommend this hotel, that is a BIG BIG NO.
Forget the mention dinner time get ready to run for getting table and waking up early for sun bed as some guess reserving their sun beds by putting towel and they not using it till late afternoon. If you got children you need to get up early to secure an umbrella as there is only 36 of them.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nedimjo
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I want say thanks all team of animation for great time,nice shows and for spending time with us. I really didnt want go home.In this hotel you will not boring! I would like to come in Mares for next year.

Room Tip: we live in bungalo, good rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Kharkov, Kharkivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
Reviewed 31 August 2014

animation, thank you very much for a lovely stay, you create a festive atmosphere in the hotel. Special thanks to Anna, you are the guardian angel of our children. it was a lovely stay in a lovely hotel and the main thing is that with a lovely animation

Room Tip: Room on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ekaterina V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Icmeler
Hotel Aqua
D-Resort Grand Azur
D-Resort Grand Azur
#14 of 234 in Marmaris
Grand Yazici Club Marmaris Palace

Been to Labranda Mares Marmaris? Share your experiences!