“Bliss”
Review of Hotel Mar-Bas

Hotel Mar-Bas
Ranked #49 of 77 Hotels in Icmeler
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Got moved to this hotel after having a nightmare at blue rainbow, this hotel was a breath of fresh air, clean, fresh food, excellent location, maids clean your room and do great little touches, this hotel is a great place

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Sarahsaul

Reviewed 28 January 2011

Me and my boyfriend went in Marbas July 2010 and my troubles began. When we made the reservation we were promised to have I nice room with a terrace and that was my only recommendation – to have a room with a terrace and a calm holiday with my boyfriend, but when we arrived the problems began. Firstly we were situated in a very small and narrow room on the ground floor up to the kitchen. The room was very small so small that I could not open the mini bar door without moving the bed… so just imagine how narrow it was… and we have no balcony and when I opened the window to get some fresh air, the only air that entered the room was the hot smelling fume from the kitchen so I went to make a complain to the reception. But I had no solution to the problem, so I was forced to be in touch with the representative of my tourist company to go to the manager to solve the problem. Finally in two days time I had a new room; it was small but with a very nice view. I was surprised to reveal that in the hotel I should pay extra to have an air condition out oh the hours that were defined although I remember when I booked the hotel it was not mentioned in the contract. The other problem was that there was I man-supervisor I think, who was looking at as we were like criminals I do not know why, and it made me feel very inconvenient. Although there was supposed to have free wireless internet in the lobby I took the password for it very difficult, firstly the lady from the lobby told me that there is no free internet, but when I argued with her and show the presentation of the hotel that was written that it is free she gave me the password. Finally after having 5 days with a full and peaceful rest I had my final problem, when we left the hotel we were forced to pay room service that was not ours, I made a scandal again and asked for the receipt where it was clearly written the hour of the order-and it was before we move to the new room and the signature was not mine. Although all the inconvenience the hotel was very cozy and perfectly situated, the food was very nice and made with touch. The hotel was clean, there was no animation and the service was not good but all this was compensated with the nice view and the calm atmosphere. The swimming pool was very small, but for the 3 stars I think it was good.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We had booked into another hotel in Marmaris, but on arrival at Dalaman airport were told that we had been 'upgraded' to a hotel in Ichmeler - which turned out to be an absolute dump. Our rep moved us to the Mar-Bas Hotel - and it was brilliant. I can't believe some of the comments from other travellers - we had a lovely time. All the staff (barr one chef - but we made him smile after 2 weeks of working on him) are very friendly and work really hard. The hotel is spotless and the rooms are cleaned to a really high standard.
The food is not 5 star cuisine, I grant you, but I came home 5lbs heavier than when I left, so it must have been edible! Breakfast - well let's face it; other coutries just don't do breakfast, - but I managed to find something every monring that was worth eating. The bread is so fresh I could have lived on that for the 2 weeks! We did go and buy our own tub of butter which we kept in our fridge and brought down to every meal - but that's only 'cos neither of us eats margarine.
Never had any issue with the bar and how many drinks you could get at one time. Think it depends on how you speak to the staff!! They thought it was very funny that I always asked them for more tonic in my gin as I found their measures too genorous. They would look shocked when I told them to stop and put more tonic in. I think it ended up a bit of a game with them!
Yes, they will try to get you to pay for this and pay for that - but that's Turkey! Live with it, barter, or just don't go there in the first place.
The Dolmos buses that start their round trip to Marmaris right outside the hotel door are an absolute Godsend - why can't we run something as easy and cheap as this in the UK?
The beach was not that big and went into shade quite early in the afternoon - but by then you were ususally cooked and quite hapy to get a bit of shade.
The only critisism I would have is that there is no where comfy to sit in the evening if you didn't want to go out or sit in your room. If it had a small lounge area with nice chairs that would be lovely - but it didn't spoil our holiday that's for sure. Would I go back there? Yes, without a doubt.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Nor_folk44
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We stayed here AI in Sept 2009, had a great time and couldn't fault the hotel or staff, so we returned this year (5th time to Icmeler) with additional family members. Paid for AI again but what a mistake, The hotel has gone downhill! boiled eggs, watery scrambled eggs or salad, cheese and cold meat for breakfast (cornflakes were inedible). Lunch was salad, rice or mash plus one meat or fish dish and limited fresh fruit or sweet, unfortunately the same selection was on offer for dinner. We asked why there was no melon on offer and were told it was too expensive.
The newer rooms to the right of reception seem to be better but heaven help you if you have one to the left. The locks keep jamming on the bathroom and exterior doors. We were unable to get into our room on the Sunday and were told the locksmith won't attend on Sunday! A male member of our family got us in and we noticed the door had been damaged previously by others locked out. The showers in the older rooms are something else.....one shower head was held to the bracket with fishing wire, another would not tilt and sprayed directly downwards, the only way to get a shower was to stand against the wall. Previous reports are correct, they are far too rigid with the ONE drink rule, and seem to favour the Germans and Dutch.
The rooms are kept very clean by staff with little personal touches, bar staff are friendly and most of reception staff are pleasant. The management team made sure that the bar closed at 11pm sharp each night, if you wanted more drink you had to pay for it at Liberty Bar, also owned by the Mar-Bas.
The hotel is in a great location right on the beach but is tired looking on the inside and needs some money spent on it. Management seem to be penny pinching, so don't think they'll spend anything soon on a revamp.
Libertys is not the best bar in Icmeler, if you walk along the main road you'll find many more, all serving drinks at competitive prices and a full English breakfast for 5 lira (8 lira at Libertys). Most provide entertainment/music and the staff ensure you have a great time.
Yes, the beach is fairly small but you can always find a sunbed. The swimming pool is in the shade most of the day. The Golmar Hotel next door allow you to use their pool (at a charge). Be warned and don't use it.....two of our party caught a serious fungal infection after one day at the pool. The pool at Mar-Bas is cleaned properly every day but is cold as its never in the sun.
The air-con units are on a timer and only operate for free after midnight, You p ay extra for other times.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SAMandDC
Reviewed 24 September 2010

After reading the current reviews I was very surprised to find this was a great little hotel in a lovely location. We arrived early morning after a delay in England, taxi transfers booked with Resort Hoppa took less than 2 hours. We found an extremely friendly receptionist awaiting us at 5.30am, he took us to a room with a sea view that was superb. The rooms although quite simple were kept very clean by the maids who came around daily and left lovely little touches such as flowers on the beds. We found the buffet style all inclusive to have a good selection of food with different meat or fish every day and plenty of choice of salads, breads, fresh fruit and desserts. There were plenty of options for drinks, tea,coffee,water and a variety of juices which you helped yourself to and a variety of alcoholic drinks and pop behind the bar. The beach is quite small but we always managed to find a sunbed there or at the pool. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and when we experienced a problem with the air conditioning it was taken care of without any problems. A quick mention also to the guys at the Liberty Bar which is attached to the hotel who were very friendly and provided some great entertainment and great cocktails. This was a really enjoyable holiday in a lovely place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank ctcant69
Reviewed 16 July 2010

i was sent to the marbas by my insurance company,i had been staying at the cettia hotel from the 05 to the 19 june 10 but my husband was taken into hospital a few days before we were due to fly home,as the cettia was full they needed my room hence thats why i was put in the marbas.when i was taken to my room the lad told me the mini bar was full and if i had any thing from it iwould be charged i looked and it was empty.the noise from the family next door was disgusting(asbo)the carpet was thread bare,pubic hair on the toilet seat,no air con and the door didnt look,my time spent in the marbas 15 mins,i made acall to joseph at pasha who took me to royal plaza.stick the marbas.well done the boys from royal plaza for your kindness.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We arrived after a 2 hour flght delay and a 4 hour coach transfer. (transfer hoppa booked through lowcost holidays) the coach driver didnt know where he was going and the rep didnt know either. it was so frustrating sitting on the coach for the same amount of time as the flight. ( we got a cab back. £40.00 from icmeler taxis.) when we we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a receptionist/salesman who informed us that our room didnt have a balcony, but he didnt want to give us that. he had two offers for us. one was a room with balcony with sea view for an extra £100, the other was a balcony with sea views that was a bigger room for an extra £180. I was fuming, tired and dissapointed that we had now the option of parting with more cash or being stuck in a room that i can only imagine would be stuffy. the air con only works between 5.30pm and 9.00pm and 12midnight and 6.00am. it was so hot and being smokers we had no other option but to pay the extra. we got him down to £80. The room was fine. the view lovely. cleaned everyday. The AI was ok also. food was varied and I found it catered for everyone. We had a problem with getting a drink one evening. my husband went to the bar asked for a vodka and tonic and asked the guy for some more tonic as there wasnt much in there. he was refused as he had a drink and it was one per person. he brought the drink to me went back, got the tonic then went back to get his beer and was refused because he had already had two drinks. greedy english, how dare we drink too much tonic water. we did have the feeling that you were viewed that way. they expected us to get drunk and cause problems. note to the hotel. not all english are the same. you shouldnt judge us as asbo candidates. we were just on holiday having a relaxing time. I spoke to the receptionist/salemans about it and at first he said the hotel was for everyone. I asked why my husband couldnt get me a drink when the germans and dutch had no problem with getting multiple drinks. i only wanted more tonic, not vodka. they must have thought that tonic got you drunk. we were allowed to get two drinks after that and they never saw us drunk. not once. if you have been to turkey in the past, im afraid you will see that the prices have doubled this year. they think they are already in the euro. you will pay more for drink and food than you would over here. lots of people we spoke to from all over europe were so dissapointed at the huge price rise. they have said that they would not return next year. so, be aware. Turkey is still pretty, still hot but has got expensive. not the cheap get away anymore.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple