“grotty”

Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in Icmeler
cheshire
“grotty”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

needs facelift , poor food, staff not keen on english people cant be bothered attitude slow service at bar, dont get room top floor sea view you are stuck in the attic with an unsafe balcony , just dont bother going !!!

Room Tip: dont get the top floor sea view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank gerrard c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norrkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We had a nice stay at hotel Marbas. The hotel is situated next to the beach. We had all inclusive and we were satisfied with the food an d service. The staff, especially at the frontdesk were extremly nice and helpful. The rooms were very nice, nothing to complain about. When our flight back were delayed the hotel offered us rooms without any cost. We walked to Marmaris and took a small boat back, really nice. We also took a small boat to Turunc, a really nice place, I recommend this trip.

Icmeler is a really nice place and the only minus was the bar and nightclub nextdoor to the hotel. They played music very loudly until 2 o´clock and the staff was very unpolite and tried to trick us. The talked about misunderstanding even though my husband speaks turkish.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AWW_11
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My wife and I had to transfer to Icmeler from Kalkan for health reasons and we were charged an extra £160 as the Mar Bas was classed as an 'upgrade' WHAT A JOKE!.

Upon our arrival we were shown to an 'attic'. The furniture was out of the sixties, the air conditioning was provided on a rationed basis, ie only on at certain times, for what it was worth, as it hardly made any difference to the room temperature at all. The toilet seat was broken and lay on the bathroom floor and the fridge was totally useless.

However, it was explained to us that the fridge wasn't really a fridge but a 'cooler'. (which was also a misdescription as it didnt cool anything) The room was on the fifth floor and right next to the lift shaft and we were disturbed all night long by the lift going up and down. The curtains didnt fit the window and so when 5am arrived the sun shone straight in and woke us up. This is a very noisy hotel.

The first thing that we did in the morning was pack our bags and demanded to be moved. The rep from 'Jewel in the crown' arrived and listened to our complaints and we told him that we wanted to move, he tried to convince us that the Mar Bas was a 4 star hotel - Hah! the only way this dump would get a 4 star rating would be if Stevie Wonder was the hotel inspector. We couldnt even get a drink from the hotel bar as this was reserved for AI guests so we had to go to the bar next door.

We have been to Icmeler 3 times now and we have never had a problem with any hotel, we usually stay in 3 star accomodation so we dont exactly expect the Ritz but this place is an absolute dump, the only good thing about it is that it is located handily for the main road of restaurants and bars.

If you are considering staying at the Mar Bas, I would suggest that you do yourself a favour and stay next door at the Gol Mar instead, we have stayed there and it is a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Arsonfire

Travellers are raving about these Icmeler hotels

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Got moved to this hotel after having a nightmare at blue rainbow, this hotel was a breath of fresh air, clean, fresh food, excellent location, maids clean your room and do great little touches, this hotel is a great place

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank Sarahsaul
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Me and my boyfriend went in Marbas July 2010 and my troubles began. When we made the reservation we were promised to have I nice room with a terrace and that was my only recommendation – to have a room with a terrace and a calm holiday with my boyfriend, but when we arrived the problems began. Firstly we were situated in a very small and narrow room on the ground floor up to the kitchen. The room was very small so small that I could not open the mini bar door without moving the bed… so just imagine how narrow it was… and we have no balcony and when I opened the window to get some fresh air, the only air that entered the room was the hot smelling fume from the kitchen so I went to make a complain to the reception. But I had no solution to the problem, so I was forced to be in touch with the representative of my tourist company to go to the manager to solve the problem. Finally in two days time I had a new room; it was small but with a very nice view. I was surprised to reveal that in the hotel I should pay extra to have an air condition out oh the hours that were defined although I remember when I booked the hotel it was not mentioned in the contract. The other problem was that there was I man-supervisor I think, who was looking at as we were like criminals I do not know why, and it made me feel very inconvenient. Although there was supposed to have free wireless internet in the lobby I took the password for it very difficult, firstly the lady from the lobby told me that there is no free internet, but when I argued with her and show the presentation of the hotel that was written that it is free she gave me the password. Finally after having 5 days with a full and peaceful rest I had my final problem, when we left the hotel we were forced to pay room service that was not ours, I made a scandal again and asked for the receipt where it was clearly written the hour of the order-and it was before we move to the new room and the signature was not mine. Although all the inconvenience the hotel was very cozy and perfectly situated, the food was very nice and made with touch. The hotel was clean, there was no animation and the service was not good but all this was compensated with the nice view and the calm atmosphere. The swimming pool was very small, but for the 3 stars I think it was good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Norwich, UK
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We had booked into another hotel in Marmaris, but on arrival at Dalaman airport were told that we had been 'upgraded' to a hotel in Ichmeler - which turned out to be an absolute dump. Our rep moved us to the Mar-Bas Hotel - and it was brilliant. I can't believe some of the comments from other travellers - we had a lovely time. All the staff (barr one chef - but we made him smile after 2 weeks of working on him) are very friendly and work really hard. The hotel is spotless and the rooms are cleaned to a really high standard.
The food is not 5 star cuisine, I grant you, but I came home 5lbs heavier than when I left, so it must have been edible! Breakfast - well let's face it; other coutries just don't do breakfast, - but I managed to find something every monring that was worth eating. The bread is so fresh I could have lived on that for the 2 weeks! We did go and buy our own tub of butter which we kept in our fridge and brought down to every meal - but that's only 'cos neither of us eats margarine.
Never had any issue with the bar and how many drinks you could get at one time. Think it depends on how you speak to the staff!! They thought it was very funny that I always asked them for more tonic in my gin as I found their measures too genorous. They would look shocked when I told them to stop and put more tonic in. I think it ended up a bit of a game with them!
Yes, they will try to get you to pay for this and pay for that - but that's Turkey! Live with it, barter, or just don't go there in the first place.
The Dolmos buses that start their round trip to Marmaris right outside the hotel door are an absolute Godsend - why can't we run something as easy and cheap as this in the UK?
The beach was not that big and went into shade quite early in the afternoon - but by then you were ususally cooked and quite hapy to get a bit of shade.
The only critisism I would have is that there is no where comfy to sit in the evening if you didn't want to go out or sit in your room. If it had a small lounge area with nice chairs that would be lovely - but it didn't spoil our holiday that's for sure. Would I go back there? Yes, without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Nor_folk44
Surrey
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We stayed here AI in Sept 2009, had a great time and couldn't fault the hotel or staff, so we returned this year (5th time to Icmeler) with additional family members. Paid for AI again but what a mistake, The hotel has gone downhill! boiled eggs, watery scrambled eggs or salad, cheese and cold meat for breakfast (cornflakes were inedible). Lunch was salad, rice or mash plus one meat or fish dish and limited fresh fruit or sweet, unfortunately the same selection was on offer for dinner. We asked why there was no melon on offer and were told it was too expensive.
The newer rooms to the right of reception seem to be better but heaven help you if you have one to the left. The locks keep jamming on the bathroom and exterior doors. We were unable to get into our room on the Sunday and were told the locksmith won't attend on Sunday! A male member of our family got us in and we noticed the door had been damaged previously by others locked out. The showers in the older rooms are something else.....one shower head was held to the bracket with fishing wire, another would not tilt and sprayed directly downwards, the only way to get a shower was to stand against the wall. Previous reports are correct, they are far too rigid with the ONE drink rule, and seem to favour the Germans and Dutch.
The rooms are kept very clean by staff with little personal touches, bar staff are friendly and most of reception staff are pleasant. The management team made sure that the bar closed at 11pm sharp each night, if you wanted more drink you had to pay for it at Liberty Bar, also owned by the Mar-Bas.
The hotel is in a great location right on the beach but is tired looking on the inside and needs some money spent on it. Management seem to be penny pinching, so don't think they'll spend anything soon on a revamp.
Libertys is not the best bar in Icmeler, if you walk along the main road you'll find many more, all serving drinks at competitive prices and a full English breakfast for 5 lira (8 lira at Libertys). Most provide entertainment/music and the staff ensure you have a great time.
Yes, the beach is fairly small but you can always find a sunbed. The swimming pool is in the shade most of the day. The Golmar Hotel next door allow you to use their pool (at a charge). Be warned and don't use it.....two of our party caught a serious fungal infection after one day at the pool. The pool at Mar-Bas is cleaned properly every day but is cold as its never in the sun.
The air-con units are on a timer and only operate for free after midnight, You p ay extra for other times.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family