“Fantastic Hotel but.............”

Ranked #4 of 78 Hotels in Icmeler
Wales
“Fantastic Hotel but.............”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Firstly,I have to say that the Julian is a fabulous hotel.With a little language difficulty at reception,we were taken to our room,which was a lovely size,a living room area,good size bathroom and bedroom with built in wardrobes,flat screen tv with around 7 channels,small balcony with table and chairs.My husband and I had requested a 'quiet room',which was away from the pool area,great. Room was spotless.Even though you are up a hill,away from the main resort,mini buses would take you down every 10mins or so for 150Tlira each,running until aroun 1am.I had read on reviews that this was a menu based service,which didnt put me off,as the reviews were amazing on the food.We had arrived tea time,so quickly unpacked,and went down to eat after our long journey.We walked passed the pool area,and was again very pleased at the set out,lit up lovely for the evening.Then we arrived at the dining area/bar,which we could see also included the enteratainment stage.We sat down,and were immediately greeted by lots of wasps and midges,constantly flying around the table.A member of staff put a foil burner on the table to deter them (which we later found out was a type of coffee!),and seemed to do the trick.Also,later in the evening,as more appeared,a 4x4 with 2 blowers on the back,would encircle the hotel,including the perimeter of the eating area, with a chemical mist to disperse themm,which seemed to work.But I don't think this should be used around an eating area,or children. We were given a menu,and I was very disappointed at the selection,containing of burgers,pizza,curries,chinese,lasagne,jacket potatoes,fish and chips,chip butties,with an option to order fresh fish,a day in advance.The basic salad table constantly had wasps and midges flying around,and on more than one occassion saw members of staff picking these out of salads,and the worst,out of the egg batter for the omelettes in the morning,if they fancied a morning swim,ugh! Most of the staff had very basic English,which at times became very difficult to ask for simple things,(like when I asked for butter for my toast at breakfast time).Also dietry needs for my husband who is Lactose intolerant,who when asking for an omelette (which you could only have cheese and mushroom extra in it),said several times 'no cheese please',came back to the table giving me his omlette and going back,as the cook couldn't understand that he didn't want cheese in it.If my husband finished eating before me,his plate was whisked away,bad manners when the other person is still eating I think.To the evening entertainment, every night at 9pm it was Kids Mini Disco,playing the same songs every night,I almost got up myself and danced along as I became so brainwashed! It is a bad idea of the Julian to have all this going on in the dining area.They would finish the half hour session,dancing in and around the tables with the children,most of the time while you were still eating. 9.30pm every night is bingo time,again in the enteretainment area/restaurant area,you were constantly asked to buy tickets (15Tlira per ticket) while you were trying to eat your meal,sometims by 5 different people.The bingo game would go on for ever, as the caller's english was quite limited and we all had trouble making out the numbers. After which was the entertainment,which, if the bingo went on too long,didn't happen. A fire eater came on 1 night,constantly dropping the flame,trying to amaze people,I've had more 'wow' factor, igniting my oven at home! We noticed that by the time the mini disco would start,most couples and families would disappear at the thought of another repetitive night.All inclusive bar is on until midnight,which was quite limited.
The breakfasts were,sausage,egg,bacon,beans,mushrooms etc,which were in steel canteens in the didning area,most of which the handles had snapped off,so be very careful not to burn yourself,and your children,on opening them.The wasps were always particularly fond of breakfast time,again landing in food,every time they got a chance.Members of staff could also have their meals in the didning area,and it was a joy one evening to seen one staff member,dipping his fingers in the foods to taste before deciding what to put on his plate.
There was an entertainment room,again within the dining area,for the kids to go in and watch films and draw and play.I have to say Emma the childrens entertainer was great with them.The childrens water slide,pictured in the brochure,and on there website,looked great for the kids,with a great water slide and swirly slide to keep the kids entertained.However,I only ever saw the water in use down these slides,twice max a day,which meant kids were bored.The entertainment around the pool.was aqua gym,water polo etc. Then there was darts,killer pool,table tennis and pool.
As I have mentioned this IS a fantastic 4* hotel,such a pity about the food,and entertainment,as this was definitely more low 3*.I have recently reviewed the 3* plus Asena Beach hotel in Olu Deniz,and both their food choice and quality could teach this hotel a thing or two.Such a pity,as this hotel really does tick the boxes for,rooms,staff cleaners(who were always great at their job),and reception staff, but you really need to sort out the rest.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Julie b
Deniz K, Manager at Julian Forest Suites, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear about the several issues you had during your stay and will be taking all of your notes on board. If you do have any further concerns please dont hesitate contacting with us at anytime

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Wales
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We had a weeks stay in Julian Forest from the end of May. There was 26 in our party ranging from 6 year old to 68 year old. The hotel was probably only about half full so we had absolutely no problems getting sunbeds! I would say - take your own pool towel as although they state "free pool towels" they were not always available.

The rooms for "all inclusive" are fabulous - very spacious, separate living room, plasma TV, fridge etc. All the staff were great and very friendly. Although the hotel was probably less than half full, they still carried on with the daytime activities crazy darts, water polo, water volley ball, hotel dance around the pool etc which was great fun! The night entertainment varied with bingo, karaoke, turkish dancing, breakdancing, tina turner comedy tribute act!!

All entertainment stopped between 10pm and 11pm but the all inclusive bar remained open. Emma who ran kids club was brilliant - there was a morning, afternoon and evening session. The evening session was 10TL as the children were given sweets, chocolate, popcorn etc.

The water slides are great for adults and children!

Although the hotel is a long walk to Icmeler town / the beach - the dolmus service is frequently available a minutes walk from the hotel. There were a lot of flying insects and wasps during our stay but the staff do their best to alleviate them!

A great holiday!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank awilkes123
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad you, family and friends enjoyed your stay. We do apologize about any problems that may of occured during your stay and if you do have any questions or queries feel free to contact me any time with our contact details.

Moscow
Reviewed 10 June 2012

well... just few hours return home from Julian. Yes, all 5points reviews are right. Staff are very friendly and helpful, and a lot of thanks for them! Location near the mountains and homely territory! For family and couples whom looking for romantic holidays - location far from beach is only plus. Not so noisy. Anyway you could come to the seacost by only 3TL and 5 min. So we've done all 7 days.
Food! It's not simple good or pleasure - it's FANTASTIC! Meat or fish - everything was delicious. Thanks for cookers and barmen )
And of course thank for entertaiment team. Very friendly and funny. And so nice to start morning from cheerfil song "Good morning-good morning-goord morning for you and you"). Recommend it for everybody. "From Russia with love" :))

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tasyaf1
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive comment. We are glad we could make you feel at home and comfortable during your stay as our main goal is to do so. We do hope we will be seeing you again

Manchester, UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Compared to previous stays in other hotels in Icmeler this was a very pleasant experience. Rooms were spacious and immaculately clean. Great pool and the waterslides kept the kids amused for ages. The food was excellent. Would thoroughly recommend.
Our holiday was a little spoiled by the hotels transition to all inclusive. We traveled the day before my daughter who paid around he same amount us as but they were all inclusive while we were half board. One of the Restaurant Managers tried to get us to upgrade for an extra £210 for the week - didn't really seem worth it but after that he seemed to make it his business to make sure that we weren't getting anything "free". Really spoiled our stay and made us go out when we probably would have spent more there. As it was we spent around £180 in the hotel but not all of that was on "all inclusive" items.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pelicans1
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and apologize if you encountered any problems during your stay. If you have any concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime with our contact details.

Knottingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We booked this via travel republic and can say that this is a fantastic hotel.. They are going allinclusive this year and yes they have a little way to go but all in all the service is very good. The rooms are fantastic and the staff are very good. The entertainment was not up to much but, I beleive that this will improve. Would I return yes without a doubt. We would recommend this hotel to anyone with children or just adults.

Good luck for the season to Deniz and all the staff
Denise & Mick see you all again soon

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Much thanks for your positive comment and we hope we will be seeing you in the future.

DaviesCheshire
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This hotel is fantastic I have no faults at all, the rooms are modern and spotless + Sky TV, free aircon, the bar area and restaurant are excellent, all the staff are great nothing is too much trouble.

The pools are a good size with a toddler pool and slides for both adults and kids.

It is a little out of Icmeler but thats what I liked about it, you can catch the Dolmas bus outside the hotel for 70p about 4 mins to the beach on the bus or £1.00 to Marmaris about 10 mins.

I agree with all the great comments about this hotel and I will be back in May next year and I have never been to the same hotel twice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaviesCheshire
Dear Reviewer,

Very glad you will be returning next year and we look forward to seeing you and the family. Our hotel is situated slightly out of the way but that makes it even more beautiful. Its such a relaxed place to be. Thank you for your comment.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My sister and I had an amazing time when we went to this hotel, (19th May - 3rd June) it definitely is 5 Star! The location, rooms, staff and food were first class!
I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, I cannot praise it enough and we will definitely be going back.

Thanks to all the staff but especially Deniz the manager who couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your much positive comment. We hope to see you and your sister again in the up and coming year.