Ova Resort Hotel
Monta Verde Hotel & Villas(Ovacik)(Great Value!)
US$25
Aes Club Hotel(Ovacik)(Great Value!)
US$50
Gokcen Hotel & Apartments(Ovacik)(Great Value!)
US$33
  • Breakfast included
Sunshine Holiday Resort(Ovacik)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$46
Tunacan Hotel(Ovacik)(Great Value!)
US$21
Ruya Hotel(Ovacik)
  • Pool
All reviewsrelax poolentertainment teamthe upper deckbar stafffamily poolnext yearturkeygreat holidaychickensaladpancakesmain pooladult poolthree starcamp bedkids clubburger chips
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 October 2010

dont read everything it says in reviews. hotel was lovely, the relaxing pool was exellent. Jimmy the evening receptionist was fabulous. we have been told lots of improvements to extend the family pool area for next season. was very restricting to watch evening entertainment huge lack of seeating areas, but they are getting sorted for next year.
we never had any problems whats so ever for sun beds, but ~~ during peak season must of been a total night mare. no one was getting up at stupid hours to reserve then during our 2 week stay.
im a very fussy eater and found there was always something to eat at every meal, some had that much food on there plates begs belief they could move at all. excellently situated to get into hisanaru 15 minute walk from main road, down an incline 5 minutes upwards from main rood to hotel.
all areas , toilets to gardens where all well looked after n spotless, although i did see the young water (with red in his Hair) pick up a clean fork he dropped on the dining room floor wipe it on his hands and put it in with the clean cutelry !!!!
had a lovely time weather fantastic would recomend to all. not suitable for people with walking difficultys lots and lots of steps

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I agree with all the good comments about this hotel and have nothing bad to report.
Please can i ask those guests who have given this hotel a bad review to let me know the names of the hotels they have stopped at which offered better value for money.
Thanks...............

2  Thank Twoooeight
Reviewed 4 October 2010

After a very busy year, we were left with little money and even less energy, so we decided to book something cheap somewhere hot where we wouldnt have to think too much. Almost immediately after booking I worried that we would get bored so I did some research and booked some extra excursions which I will review later.

All inclusive was a real worry for me, and we are not the sort of people who would sit in the sun all day and only go to one restaurant. That said, we were looking for a relaxed experience and this was it. It was really nice to have meals sorted for us and to not have to think about what we would cook for dinner or where we would eat.

We paid less than £350 each for a week at the Ova, through Thomas Cook (online), all inclusive (something we were very nervous about doing)

The hotel is situated in an area (Ovacik) which would probably have been a small village or hamlet before tourism arrived. Its now just a collection of hotels and apartments but a very quiet resort, some distance from the coast in the mountains.

There is a main road which has some shops and which leads down into the bigger town of Hisaronu which is a bit more lively, and full of bars and restaurants. Its a 10 minute walk and quite pleasant.

You can get a bus to OluDeniz or Fethiye (a large harbour town) but there are also excursions which take you to these areas if you wish to pay for them, and a free shuttle bus which takes you to the Blue Lagoon beach each day.

Travelling from Gatwick, we arrived at the hotel after a long day, and nearly 2 hours in the transfer coach from the airport - at approximately 4am. We were greeted by a freindly receptionist who completed our check in and seconds later our bags were collected and we were led to our room which was at the back of the hotel.

First of all, the room. It was huge. For just 2 of us, we had a double bed, bunkbeds, a sofa and table, and a bathroom with separate bath. We were very impressed with the size of it and found it comfortable all holiday. There was a TV in the room and air con, both of which were demonstrated to us when we arrived. We didnt use the TV for our visit, but we kept the air con on the whole time with no problems.

The room was very quiet although we did hear the local mosques call to prayer each morning at about 4am.

We didnt have a balcony, but the room had a table and chairs outside and driers for wet towels etc, on a large grassed area.

We looked at some other rooms as we passed by throughout the week and although most of them were much smaller than ours they seemed comfortable enough.

An army of cleaners were in the complex each day and our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and the beds made. On one occasion, we left the do not disturb sign up and forgot about it until lunchtime. Despite this, the room was still cleaned sometime between lunch and dinner! Flower petals were left on the bed occasionally which was a nice touch.

To get to our room you needed to go up stairs, so anyone with mobility issues would probably do better with another area.

The room had 2 sash windows which were mesh on the bottom pane. I think someone in another review complained about this - but its purely to prevent the insects coming in and it worked a treat! We did have a small visitor one day (tiny lizard) but he disappeared and never came back. I was only bitten 3 times the whole time I was away, and all times it was during the evening when I had forgotten my repellant wristband.

The bed was really comfortable - the pillows (the subject of other complaints I think) were a little flat and hard, but nothing I couldnt live with - I would have to be scraping the barrel to complain about these things! We liked the lightweight blanket which was placed on the bed.

Our return flight home was in the early hours as well, so we paid an extra few pounds for a late check out on the last day. This just meant we needed to move to another room for the day, which we did at around midday. The room they gave us was a twin and was much smaller, but we would have been as happy in it. This one was also ground floor so had a terrace rather than a balcony and a lovely view of the mountains. We spoke to a family when we were there who had a room which directly overlooked the pool and restaurant and they did say it was very noisy for them but I that this was more to do with a particular group who were staying at the hotel at the same time.

There is no accounting for other guests and I have stayed in some fine hotels around the world where Mr Loud and Mrs Obnoxious makes life a misery for everyone. It is certainly not a money or class thing. For our 7 days we were painfully aware of a family group who seemed to take over any area they fancied and we watched their domestics and dramas - even if we didnt want to!

They were the kind of people who would stand outside the restaurant shouting "ITS GONE 7" even though they could see the restaurant team were still working to get things ready. They would then barge to the front of the queues and complain loudly that the chips werent as good as McDonalds or that the tomato ketchup tasted funny.

Ive read all the other reviews of this hotel and have noticed a lot of complaints about the food. I also overheard a number of guests complaining about the food when we were there. To be honest, I disagree entirely with them.

The sort of people who complained are the same people who bought their own mugs down to breakfast and their own teabags. They said things like "Im fed up with the brekfasts - theres not much choice" while eating cornflakes and drinking PG tips! I asked one of these people what they had for breakfast at home and they told me "cornflakes - every day". The same people complained about the lunches and dinners, while eating burger and chips at lunchtime and plates of chips and bread for dinner.

Some of the complaints were that the choice was only ever chicken and fish. This is true to some extent (although there were plenty of meatballs or kofte most days) Im sure its because they are cheap meats, and they were cooked in different ways each day and it was proper home cooked food - not ready made frozen rubbish!

I personally found these complaints laughable. This is a small hotel in Turkey. You have to expect to eat Turkish food. Let me illustrate by telling you what was available for breakfast every day:

Fresh bread which you could slice yourself.
Fresh ready sliced bread
A panini maker so you could make toasted sandwiches, along with sliced cheese, ham tomatoes and some butter.
On the chilled plate, lots of cucumber and fresh tomato.
Various cheeses, including some packs of soft cheese
5 different types of olives
Dried fruit (figs, apricots, raisins etc)
Natural yogurt
Honey
Syrups - pomegranet, and I think rose was the other
4 different cereals. Cornflakes, coco pops and oats I think.
Fresh fruit included slices of orange, watermelon and cantaloupe.
On the hot plate: boiled eggs, sometimes beans or scrambled eggs
Sometimes funny sausages (texture of saveloy) or halved tomatoes with cheese melted on top.
Cooked fresh to order: Omelettes (cheese, mushroom, tomato, onion, ham) and pancakes.

I think that was it. I cant say that at any point I got remotely bored with the breakfasts and I didnt even get a chance to try the panini maker or the fresh omelettes!

Breakfast ends at 10am and by 11am its "snacktime". Obviously designed for those who dont make breakfast, there are burgers and chips available. Some families had these every day - in fact I think there were kids at this hotel that only ate that all day!

Snack time also includes the icecream kiosk. Its only chocolate or vanilla but both are lovely and if you want something more exotic like a Magnum, you can go to the shop.

Lunchtimes were some sort of chicken - often roasted, or fish which was sometimes battered or served grilled (sardines were delightful)

All were served with rice, sometimes potatoes and always chips. The salad bar was great, - again, someone else complained about this but I found a fine selection of salad leaves, a couple of more interesting chopped salads (cucumber, olives, onions etc), chunks of onion, spring onions, lovely dips and dressings and various others. Of course a whole load of guests just filled up with chips (and probably complained that they werent as good as back home)

Sometimes I would not take lunch, simply because I was still full from breakfast.

Evening meals were just as good. Of course the chips were there, and it was usually chicken and fish, sometimes turkey but again kofte or other meat dishes were available. The curries were very tasty and there was pasta, pizza and rice dishes as well.

One night had a Turkish theme and they cracked out the doner kebab stand, producing delicious chicken doner meat. The chef spent most of the afternoon making breads for evening meal, including naan type breads and flat breads.

In summary, I really cant knock the food. There is a good choice, if you are willing to try something a bit different! The manager was there for every meal, making sure that everything was ok. The restaurant was clean and the staff ran around clearing plates like mad! The inside part of the restaurant was no smoking but the outer areas were smoking. Sadly you have to walk through the smoking area to get to the non-smoking and you may end up sat next to a smoking table.

This is just the way of the world I think - especially Turkey!

There are 2 bars in the hotel. One in the restaurant where you can get soft drinks, beer and wine, and another by the pool where they have spirits.

Its true that they are not premium and the best, but the beer tastes good and is beautifully cold. The red wine is also chilled and actually quite nice. The white wine is nice with food, but less nice on its own. Granted, I never got drunk once, but that was a bonus for me, and meant I could drink the stuff throughout the day without feeling the effects. I didnt go on holiday to get leathered so if thats what you want to do, I would suggest a bottle of duty free vodka in your room!

We bought a good bottle of malt at the airport before we left and enjoyed a nightcap each evening before bed. We ended up bringing more than half of it home but it was worth it for a really nice treat each night.

Right. The pool. There are 2 pools, one being the "relax" pool which is just surrounded by sunbeds and has no music., no entertainment and no bar area. The second is the main pool where you will find the bar, the photographer, the slide and chairs and tables instead of just sun beds. I thought that I would spend my time in the quiet area, but actually found the other pool much nicer. I liked the music which wasnt too loud and I liked the atmosphere.

I was up early most days and enjoyed a coffee by the pool before breakfast. We were out of the main season, so probably less pressure on the sunbeds, and I always found somewhere to sit. That said, people did get up super early to bag their choice spot. The problem with the towels on beds is nothing to do with the hotel and everything to do with the guests.

We didnt want to lie down anyway, so a seat with a table suited me fine. These were pretty much always available through the day.

At around 10am after breakfast, the Entertainment team come to the pool. Theres some strange music and the lads walk around shaking everyones hand. They then encourage you to stand up and join in the "family dance" around the pool. Its not my bag, but it was fun to watch and inoffensive.

Later there was Aqua Aerobics - any increase in heart rate was down to laughing not through exercise, and some other activity - maybe a darts or pool competition which was just away from the pool.

The waterslide comes on at 12 for an hour and again at 430 and is good fun.

In the afternoon there is a water polo match which can get quite hectic, but is always good humored and fun and then another activity which may be football or even air rifle shooting.

The activities are pretty unintrusive and although the team come around and ask everyone, theres no real pressure to join in.

In the evening you are short of places to sit - apart from around the pool. This was a nice place to sit, so I didnt mind, but if you want somewhere comfortable then you may be disappointed. The entertainment started at 9pm with a silly "mini disco" which a lot of people joined in with. A bit of daft dancing then on to the main entertainment. This was anything from a comedy sketch show (funny but for the wrong reasons!) a quiz night, belly dancing and a karaoke.

Would we have enjoyed it without the entertainment? Probably yes, but it wouldnt have been the same, and by the end of the holiday I was looking forward to watching it, even just to watch the other guests and the cute kids enjoying themselves!

This has been a fairly extensive review and I make no apologies for that as I think some of the other reviews on this site need a response! This hotel is a 3 star, its no more but certainly no less. I would definately go back. There are so many places locally that you can visit and this area makes a great base.

7  Thank armydonkey81
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Just came back from a weeks stay at the Ova with my partner, we arrived at 6am to be welcomed warmly by reception staff and taken to our room by a very friendly porter.

We were given a newly refurbished room at the back of the hotel looking over the hills it was lovely, safety deposit boxes were located at the reception and whenever we needed access the reception staff were always happy to stop what they were doing and give one of us the master key (which was required with our own safe key) to open the safe.

On our first night our shower was acting up so my partner reported this to reception and within 10 minutes we had a new shower head which was working fine. On out last night out air conditioning started to act up when I returned to the room from the bar (it had leaked onto the bed and bedside cabinet) and again after reporting this it was fixed within the hour and we had been given new sheets and pillows (as the other ones got wet). We had clean towels every day and the room was always clean.

The food was fantastic, not a large selection however it is a fairly small hotel so there was no reason to have a lot of choices as there would be more waste. There was always 3 main meal choices and the salad bar was large and always fresh. The restaurant manager was always buzzing around making sure people were ok and the waiting staff were very friendly, by the 2nd day the barman new what drinks we wanted with dinner too.

The bar staff and entertainment staff were brilliant too, always friendly and smiling. Leo, Tom, Gerry and Tutu were amazing with the kids, and the mini disco was on every night (apart from Monday) I even took part on our last night.

Located only a 15 minute walk from town we never took a bus or a taxi to go to the shops, however the reception staff were happy to call a taxi if you needed one.

There wasn’t a lot of sun beds however we always managed to get one, if there were anymore there would be nowhere to walk. We spent the week at the "relax" pool away from children (not that there were many) however if you wanted to take part in activities you could go to the main pool, which was bigger with a flume (that was one twice a day)

Over all the hotel was brilliant and the staff were excellent, we will definitely go back.

2  Thank kirstopher
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Just come back from Ova Resort and very happy with the holiday,staff couldnt do enough to help you,extremely clean hotel and rooms cleaned every day with clean towels daily.2 pools,one for the kids and inflatables and the other a relaxing pool just to chill out at.
The food was varied and very enjoyable.
I would definately come back here again and recommend to friends and family.
Oh and to those people that have called it the hotel from hell you need to open your eyes,it is a 3 star hotel not a 5 star you get what you pay for,so if you want more then put your hand in your pocket and pay abit more.

2  Thank PortmouthDonna