“Lovely hotel and great location”

Blue Pearl Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Ovacik
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Blue Pearl for a week and had a great time. We were greeted by Mine, the owner who is a lovely lady and very helpful.

Room: They were reasonably small but they were perfectly fine, with a small balcony overlooking the pool with a mountain view. The maid cleaned the room reasonably well every day, changing the beds and bins. Clean towels were provided after 3 days. Air con was charged at £5 a night, however we felt we didnt need it as we were in the shady part of the hotel and it kept cool if we kept the curtains closed. We would have liked a fridge to keep water in but we weren't desperate enough to pay for one.

Pool: Nice pool, doesn't really have a shallow end but no children had much a problem, 10 year olds could stand up on their toes. The slide opens every hour or so for 30 minutes, there were some top tips for going down fast but I'll leave that for you to discover!! Can be funny.

Bar: Pool and table tennis is free. Snacks are reasonably well priced and is served quick. Drinks are the only down side, 4 TL for a soft drink, 7-8 TL for a beer and cocktails are 17 TL. On Saturdays there is a pool party and drinks are 2 for 1 if you have the same cocktail. I think there should be more happy hours which would certainly ensure people drink around the pool more. Just an idea. Staff are great and very friendly.
We managed to get sun beds easily the first few days, but after that you need to get up around 7am to put them down. I'd avoid the area by the slide and end of the pool unless you like getting splashed!

Location: Walking up the hill to the left there are a few restaurants. We only tried Friar Tucks which was well priced, but we felt it was catered too much for the english like nearly all of the restaurants in the area (Ovacik, Hisaronu, Olu Deniz). I don't understand why people go abroad to get english food! One place were offering steak and kidney pies, fish and chips etc. Madness! We opted for turkish restaurants. There is a great restaurant at the top of Hisaronu called Memo Restaurant opposite Sam's chippy. It serves the free balloon bread and amazing kebabs/traditional dishes. Turn right and keep walking straight for about 10 minutes. Or get a dolmus from the top for 2TL. Another one is Sahil restaurant in Fethiye (http://www.sahilrestaurantfethiye.com/). Again, they were half the price of the majority of places and were 10 times as good!! There are loads of them you just need to open your eyes a bit more!

Dolmus: Very good. 2TL to hisaronu. 3TL to olu deniz. 3.5 TL to fethiye. Calis beach requires a bus to fethiye market and then another one to the beach.

Trips; I recommend Cadiana tours for the jeep safari. £14 8.30-6.30/7 pm day including lunch (no drinks). Such a fun day with a water fight and multiple stops including a fish farm, carpet place, patara beach. Animal the main guide was hilarious.

Beach: We really liked Olu Deniz beach. We paid for the private beach, the blue lagoon for 6TL adults (3 tl kids) which had beautiful clear water. We didn't pay for sun beds as the pebbles were actually quite comfortable. The public beach is ok, however it is best to go before 4pm when the boat trips start to return and you have to keep moving if you are not by the sunbeds.
Calis beach - not bad, but it wasn't as beautiful and clear as Olu Deniz. It was quite a lot of effort to get down there as well. I believe the hotel can organise for you to go to Sugar Beach in O.D but it can be quite expensive with sunbeds.

Overall, a fantastic holiday and I recommend avoiding the british hype by discovering the turkish restaurants! They are the ones which have no brits, just locals with no alcohol being served.

I would go back to the Blue Pearl and the area again :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chrisam_13
There are newer reviews for Blue Pearl Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We visited the Blue Pearl in June 2014. This was our sixth year, and yet again I can only praise the hotel and staff. We had a lovely stay with my sister and her husband who were visiting for the first time. They really enjoyed it, it lived upto everything we had said in previous years, we love this hotel for enjoyment and value for money, And the location is great for visiting the beautiful surrounding area. Thanks Mine and all the staff

Room Tip: I always ask for a high room as the view of the mountains is better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We've plumped for a rating of very good as my wife loved the hotel yet I felt very similar to Sarah London's review that has only just been posted.
The positives
Excellent large pool with a slide and the pool was cleaned regularly
Very clean around the pool area at all times
Superb sized family room. Quite superb in fact.
Adorable cocktails during 'happy hours'

The negatives
I felt this hotel was always on a mission to make as much money as possible from you. Whilst I wholly accept it needs to be a commercially viable business to give you a few examples:
Bringing around cakes in the afternoon at 8 lira
Air Con and fan cost £8 a night! Our family room air con only covered one bedroom and so a fan was needed for our living room sleeping area for a family of 4. Yet no reduced cost was offered which I felt was poor.
Staff forever trying to convince you to eat in the restaurant in the evening which lacked any people nor atmosphere
Happy hour cocktails half price for 2 hours...yet only on a Saturday night! Incredible considering few guests socialised around the bar area during our stay. Very shortsighted by the owners.
Would we return? Yes we would as the wife is the boss lol and our 2 boys enjoyed fun galore in the pool. And of course the price at £20 a night is still absolutely superb. Plus extras!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

After reading the reviews I was confident we would have an amazing stay at the Blue Pearl. I would sum it up as OK and I'm still scratching my head to understand how it is rated as the number 1 place to stay in Ovacik. We arrived around 9pm and had booked a one bed apartment. When making the booking we requested twin beds and not a double, unfortunately this request didn't filter through to the Blue Pearl who were less than helpful (or more accurately not helpful at all) when trying to rectify it so one of us had a double bed for the week and the other suffered on a fold down couch which couldn't be intended for an adult to sleep on for a week. When we asked for bed sheets for the fold down couch we were informed that house keeping wouldn't be there until the next day but we persisted and were eventually accommodated returning after dinner to a made up folded down couch. There was free wi fi around the bar area at the pool but this was the only thing that wasn't charged extra. The extra charges for everything else were, in my opinion, ridiculous, you can't even have the use of an iron without paying £2 per hour for the iron and ironing board!! The air con was charged at £5 per night but it was preset to 24 degrees with no access to change this, however, we requested it be reduced and it was brought down to 19 degrees which was much better. The apartment was a good size and there was loads of wardrobe space and hangers, including one beside the kitchette. In general the apartment could have done with a good thorough clean, particularly the bathroom. I'm not overly fussy in this area but the black moldy grout in the shower did rise from the shower tray to eye level and the toilet could have been introduced to a bottle of bleach, by the end of the week my feet were black walking around barefoot inside. The light bulb in the bedroom went out which I advised the reception of but nothing was done about it. Also the toaster in the kitchen broke after one use. I wasn't using it so I left it to my friend to follow-up on but I don't know if she did so I can't report back on their willingness to rectify the problem. The regularly referenced hospitality was not felt by either of us. However, we met some fantastic people around the pool, the pool area was really good with a good amount of shade/non-shady options and the water slide is turned on 3 or 4 times a day for 30 minutes at a time. The staff at the bar were all nice but a some people felt they were a little pushy to make bookings for evening meals. However, we ignored this and suited ourselves as we like to go out. We did eat lunch there a few days but the menu is basic and when they ran out of lettuce for the salad they replaced it with a bunch of parsley which I did not appreciate as I hate the stuff and had to pick it all out as the bar man watched on uselessly. The hotel operates on a credit system so even if you wanted to, which we did, you can't pay for any food or drink with cash. If you have mobility issues then I would not recommend this hotel as while the grounds are generally suitable there are a few steps up to the rooms and the hill down from the main street is not well paved and semi steep. The walk along to Hisaronu took about 5-10 minutes and the pavements on that road were slightly better, meaning we didn't have to walk on the road for most of it. The dolmus can be got from the top of the hill and will take you to Fethiye in one direction or Hisaronu and Olu Deniz in the other direction. We were very impressed by the dolmus I have to say, simple to use and no problems. Overall, we really enjoyed our holiday but I doubt either of us will return to the Blue Pearl and would rate it as adequate/average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank sarah_london24
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have been to the Blue Pearl 4 times now, 3 times with parents but this year just me and my sister went, we had an amazing time. The staff are very friendly and polite, great relaxing place. only a short walk into the town where there is loads of restaurants bars and shops great place for the whole family.
Mine and Mustafa are great :) Owner and Bar staff

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniella G
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Keep going back to the blue pearl year after year fantastic place to stay, stayed in the apartments and hotel rooms both very clean, the apartments are a decent size and have plenty of wardrobe space, the kitchen is well equipped, there is plenty of room round the pool area and you never have to fight for a sunbed it's very relaxed atmosphere. The bar is always open and the food is very good the staff are very friendly and made our stay a good one, there are so many places to eat out at night but the meals we had at the blue pearl where by far the best, would like to say a big thank you to mine and her team for yet another fab stay see you all soon

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne G
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just back from a short break here - chose these apartments because of the reviews and very glad we did! "Ditto" everyone's comments - pool area spotless, pool bar has a good range of food and drinks and is open all day and well into the night. We arrived late in the evening and had an excellent meal by the pool. There is a button in reception to summon a taxi from the rank up the street so very easy to get down to the beach front and visit the superb range of shops and restaurants down there too in the evenings for 12 lira - and again a taxi rank on the beach front to bring you back, so no waiting around. The staff were very friendly so if you read reviews of other apartments where they say the staff don't care, simple, don't give them your business! Also it is nice and quiet here at night - so guaranteed a peaceful night's sleep!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ro51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovacik
Gokcen Hotel & Apartments
#3 of 19 in Ovacik
Tunacan Hotel
Tunacan Hotel
#7 of 19 in Ovacik

Been to Blue Pearl Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!