“Best meal in ages........”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
“Best meal in ages........”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stumbled across this restaurant whilst trying to find a decent looking place in Cromer. Thank god we did! What a delightful meal! It's been a long time since I enjoyed something so much! The food was amazing as was the presentation. We had a lovely table by the window so we could overlook the sea. The service was prompt and good. We all enjoyed it greatly, thank you!

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

This hotel is superb. It has bags of character and very helpful friendly staff. We stayed 2 nights as an escape without the kids and after booking were greeted with comments on how ropey Cromer itself was from friends and others who had been there! Its best known for crabs we were told! Undeterred, but with some trepidation, we arrived at a rain lashed Cromer and checked into the red lion. The hotel is right on the sea front, with steps down to the beach, however the wind had whipped the surf into a frenzy presenting a very good reason to stay inside the bar and enjoy the fire and decent local beers. Wherry was a particular favourite, reminding me of some of the best Cornish ales - must be something about the sea air. The staff were superb throughout, very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a standard room, which was at the rear of the hotel but it was very clean and well kitted out (tea making, iPod dock, etc.). We were a bit worried given the purported dog friendly marketing of the hotel but the place was really well kept, benefitting from recent refurbishment. The high Victorian ceilings and quirky layout of the rooms were great, as was the spacious bathroom of our room.
The food was fantastic too. Breakfast was included in the room rate and it excelled both in quality of ingredients and choice. Meats at breakfast were top quality, with locally sourced produced and nice thick cuts (no cheap sausages or bacon). Evening meals were standard pub restaurant fare but well presented and again used good ingredients (it's amazing how many restaurants and pubs fail on the quality of produce). Average price for an evening meal was £13 for a main course but it compares well locally. We've stayed in many places around the UK and this compares favourably with any of them, I would even place it in my top ten.
The appalling weather and decidedly average town couldn't dampen our enthusiasm for this highly recommended hotel. It's just a shame that the area itself doesn't give us an excuse to return, as the hotel certainly does!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank James L
North Walsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I have been to the Red Lion many times before and had excellent meals. NOT last night, I ordered off the specials board and had the seafood cocktail which was delicious (the only thing which was) for my main course I had Crab thermador which was awful, they had bought in a dressed crab which the waitress informed me, the chef had scraped the crab meat out and made a tasteless cheese sauce and mixed it together and put back in the shell, so it was only half the crab meat put back and the first mouth full I get shell and the 2nd! and 3rd! this was served with rice which was over cooked and stoggy with not taste. I really could not eat it, I told the waitress and she came back and told me that they would tell the supplier! ok good for future customers but not me. The manager came and said the same but they wouldn't charge me plus I could have a dessert at no charge. I ordered the trio as hungry! very dissapointing too. fruit crumble not cooked and the other 2 dessert not wonderful. the staff were all very young but pleasant, there needs to be some more mature staff. I will not be returning for a meal again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I have visited Cromer a few times over my life and about 5 years ago had visited the Red Lion a few years ago but not been that impressed as I found it to be a bit dark and dingy and outdated. So before my visit this year did some research on the web to find out that it now had some good review. So I thought I might as well give it go and also thought that I'd splash out and stay in what they called the 'Superior Room'.

When I arrived the first thing I noticed was that the bar area seemed as though it had had a complete revamp. It was looking quite swish with sofa's dotted about and new tables and chairs in the restaurant it was looking very comfortable and welcolming. Then after being taken to my room I was blown away by it not only was it big and luxirious but it also had this amazing view which kept on reminding me that I was still actually in Cromer as it was hard to believe. The bathroom was also amazing with a picturesque view of the sea that you can view from the bath this was more like staying in a Hilton or a Mariott than staying in Cromer and I could've stayed there all night.

We then went down for dinner which was nice. I was a little disappointed as we weren't allowed in the restaurant as it was being redecorrated at the time but the food was generally good with a nice selection to choose from. The breakfast that we had in the morning though was one of the best that I have had from a hotel and would reccomend to anyone.

When it comes to rating this hotel I am going to put full marks for evrything. Even though there is going to be areas it can improve on I think for Cromer it is superb. The area is really calling out for somewhere nice to stay that does good food and isn't outdated as I feel this is something that has been lacking in the past. I would definitly reccomend anyone visiting Cromer to stay there and was very happy with the service that they provided with friendly staff and absolutely amazing view.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My partner and I visitied the Red Lion in January and it was a perfect way to spend our anniversary. For the occassion we stayed in the Superior Suite, which definately lived up to it's name: the room was very comfortable, the bathroom was very luxurious and the view/balcony made the room stand out. We also ate in the restaurant in the evening and found the food very nice and the service was pleasant.

The only dissappointing part about our stay was the weather, as it rained which prevented us from going for walks.

Room Tip: Definately book a room with a view. Well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colette d
Norwich
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in the superior room last October which had an amazing view of the beach. We absolutely loved the bathroom which was modern & spacious and also had a great view of the beach/sea. Would definitely recommend this room if you enjoy a hot bath with a drink (optional & luckily also available in the room) while looking out onto the sea.
Dinner in the restaurant was delicious and the staff were friendly and very attentive.
We loved our stay at the Red Lion and will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laila28Norwich
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have always had fond memories of Cromer growing up as my Auntie and Uncle had previously run a bed and breakfast on the crescent. Since they left a couple of years ago, I had always remembered my auntie recommending The Red Lion as not only a great place to eat but to have a pleasant stay in too!
My friend and I 18 months ago had both needed cheering up and decided to book in at The Red Lion on the tail end of the carnival week for the bustling weekend period. We were lucky enough to get a last minute cancellation; we were greeted in the carpark on arrival and shown our own space which was all very easy!
We loved the comfortable welcoming atmosphere at reception, felt like the staff really took an interest in what our plans were for the weekend. I think its always about taking that step further in customer service; especially as there were details about the carnival that we needed to know about.
As an overall summary from the many stays we have had; the rooms have always been fresh with decor, comfortable with some fantastic views. However there has sometimes been the odd thing here and there that we haven't been happy about- but something that has been dealt with straight away. My friend especially enjoys the basket of food and drink goodies, nice touch :)
The quality of the food has been to an extremely high standard, just a shame sometimes that the restaurant is brimming meaning there are long waits on the main courses. Staff have been wonderful and we love the way they have remembered us on returned stays. It gives a whole personal element to the experience and makes you feel quite special!
My most recent stay was on New years Eve 2011 which again was lucky through a last minute cancellation. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, the breakfast was certainly appreciated the next morning (I am particularly partial to the homemade cereal, yoghurt!!! yum)
All in all I strongly recommend this Hotel, if you want a relaxing environment in the heart of Cromer- this is my top choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
#5 of 7 in Cromer
The Pheasant Hotel
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelling

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!