“Dylan Loved It”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
Reviewed 17 November 2012

A very big thankyou for a lovely stay and Dylans folk were just as pleased with the service, accommodation and the friendly and helpful staff, all were 'spot on'. Dylan also loved the personal touch of having his very own Dining Set and Comfy Bed as well! HIs owners were equally delighted and will return one day

Room Tip: Dylan has 4 legs and very waggy tail, so one of the special 'Pet Friendly' Rooms would be pe...

Reviewed 14 November 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion Cromer to celebrate my birthday ( bit last minute) we were allocated room5 The old billiard room WOW is the only word to descibe it. No sea view but the room certainly made up for it. Very large and warm roomwith rolltop bath in one corner, plus a settee and chair for watching the large telly (plus you could watch tv from the bath !!!!!. Food was again very good. Definately going back in the spring.

Room Tip: Ask for the old billiard room no sea view but excellant room
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Popped in for a lunch and a drink as we often do and have never been disappointed .its a lovely old hotel overlooking the sea ...we only wanted a light lunch so I went for the Red Lion burger it came with hand cut chips and a huge salad what a plate full the better half had a chowder off the starter menu it was huge and full of seafood...I had to finish it for her as there was more than my wife could eat it was delicious no complaints from me about having to finish it....the staff are on the ball and polite I would recommend this to anybody visiting the quaint seaside town of Cromer..after last weeks disappointment at the Gunton Arms [see my review] which was over priced and I was under fed it was really nice to get value for money...I know it was only a burger but I have had lots of other food from their menu and am more than satisfied and will be returning...

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Being a natural home bird, it is always good to return to the nest. Shame, though, that I can't transport my house to the second floor of the The Red Lion, Cromer, where we spent three nights this week perched high above the prom and the sea. From our comfy eyrie, we watched twinkling lights on boats at night and then in the morning enjoying our first cup of tea of the day snuggled on our sea-facing sofa, wrapped in our complimentary bath robes, we saw fishermen landing catch on the beach and Cromer stirring for the day. People and dogs sauntered or bustled along all day long and then as the last of the autumn light deepened into dusk, the sight of a mother and small boy enjoy the last paddle of the day, before climbing the many steps up the cliff, was like a little cameo.
When I booked I was hoping for one of the blue rooms and a view of the pier that I saw on the website; our room wasn't blue and didn't face the pier, but we loved it with its a wonderful bay window and having sneaked a look at one of the blue rooms, I felt it was more of a summer room and that ours was cosier for an autumnal stay.
Not being a fan of the trad full English, I was almost put off booking because I couldn't see the menu on the website and assumed it might be standard fair. Far from it: first rate nosh, including lots of fish options and various homemade goodies: granola, jam and yogurt are the ones I can remember.
We ate in the bar on two nights. I thought it was all excellent, including my venison (local) casserole with dumplings. My hushand who is vegetarian was not as enthusiastic about the extent of vegetarian options.There could have been more, or perhaps something more imaginative than lasagne an chilli (the mains).
The pub and hotel is in an magnificient old character of a building, has a great atmosphere and warm and welcoming staff.I have given the cleanliness a four rather than five because in our room, condensation was building up between the original sach windows and some secondary glazing, creating some unsightly black gunk which I fear won't do the lovely wooden sashes much good. We found the main section of the secondary glazing slid back some of the way, so we were able to wipe the window because we didn't want condensation obscuring our precious view!
I'd ask for the same room again, number 17, because I'd love to go back, despite the one glitch of our stay which was that we coincided with a boiler malfunction (quite a new boiler apparently) so hot water was hit and miss. We were offered, without asking, a reduction on our bill to compensate which seemed very fair. Hopefully now boiler firing on all cylinders again.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

My partner and I spent two nights at this hotel on the recommendation of other reviews we had read on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed in any way and the hotel, food and staff lived up to the high expectations we had. We had a warm and friendly greeting from all the team and nothing was too much trouble for them in making our stay so pleasurable. The food was excellent, we especially enjoyed our breakfasts. We stayed in Room 7 certainly a room with a view, with a small balcony over looking the sea. The room was spotless and huge. The bathroom was amazing with its own window seating area again overlooking the sea. I felt truely pampered and spoilt. After our meal in the evenings we sat in front of the log fire and sipped away at our after dinner drinks feeling very snug and full. If you want to treat the lady in your life to a special weekend then I would say don't miss out on this gem of a hotel. Thank you darling and thank you to all the team at the Red Lion for making it a truely special and wonderful time. we will be back to enjoy your hospitalitiy again.
Regards and best wishes
Emma and Greg

Reviewed 31 October 2012

we have had two excellent days at the red lion the staff were first class the food was excellent a really nice atmosphere we will definitley return we have never been to this part of the coast the hotel staff were very helpfull

Room Tip: the rooms with a sea view are stunning
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Red Lion, had a great view of the sea and pier from our lovely room. The food was great, the staff were very efficient and very friendly. I cannot complain about anything. We will be visiting again asap. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Sandcliff Guest House

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!