The Red Lion
  • Pool
Sea Marge Hotel(Overstrand)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
The Old Rectory(Framingham Pigot)
The Manor Hotel(Mundesley)
View Hotel
All reviewssea viewbilliard roomroaring firefresh milkdog friendly hotelseafood platterthe pubreal teaspecials boardeggs benedictreal aleate hereevening mealsea frontfull englishstandard roomboth nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Once again my husband and I plus our two dogs were made very welcome as soon as we arrived . This time we had a lovely sea view room ..The staff are all so helpful and pleasant it all makes for a very pleasant stay The menu was up to it's excellent standard with choice and presentation we therefore ate in every night , also I have a few diet problems and the chef was very helpful. We look forward to our next break with them next year

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I always stay at the Red Lion when I visit Cromer, and I happen to have been there twice in the last few weeks. Always a pleasure to be at the Red Lion for the good atmosphere, the busy but restful bar, the layout of the rooms (all different in shape and decor) and the excellent location overlooking the promenade and the pier.

The staff are so friendly and helpful too. What better review than what I always say as I'm checking out - "See you next time".

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I booked this hotel, after my Fiancee mentioned she would like to take a break in North Norfolk after our wedding. From a previous visit to Cromer I found the Red Lion and thought what a perfect location!

With this in mind I booked the delux suite for 3 nights.

The room itself was ok (perhaps not quite worthy of the title of delux suite) but it was clean and we liked the option of a honesty box for the mini bar. The hotel also supplied a bottle of bubbly which was a nice touch.Although it could do with a bit of a refresh of paint! Also the room smelled of Gas throughout our stay - speaking to reception they informed us that was normal!

For a single night stay this would have reecived a greater rating, but we were a little disapointed at the little touches, for instance 2 bottles of water (1 sparkling, 1 still) were supplied on the first night, but these were not replenished for the 2nd or 3rd night which seems a little tight! Complimentary shower gel and shampoo were not replenished (the small bottles were pretty much empty after day 1). It is the small things which make a room "delux" and considering budget hotels will replenish these daily and after paying £180 a night you expect a bit more.....

The breakfast was good, and it was a good variety. The serving staff were pleasant and courteous.

The sister restaurant - a Italian restaurant was very disapointing - "Italy in a warehouse" but it did have good views over the sea. The menu was disapointing and we thought it was a bit crap that you had to order everything at the bar - more like a pub trying to be an Italian. The food wasnt that great and the choice was poor, plus despite 10% off it wasnt really worth it

Parking was appalling - but to be fair we knew this before we booked - however what was frustrating was the number of parking spaces which were "reserved" this seems a little unfair surely should be first come first serve when parkings limited?!!

Would I return to the Red Lion? Prob pop in for a drink but thats about it!

Room Tip: Just book a standard room
2  Thank Dave162
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Nice beer but at a high price a pint of draught larger will set you back £4.40. The food is fairly expensive ie a burger meal is £10 plus. I chose a light snack ciabatta with prawns and Marie Rose sauce my wife chose Brie and bacon. We shared some chips. the chips were still hard and the ciabatta rolls stale. Filings were extremely small. We were offered 10% off the Bill. Give this place a miss.

1  Thank Paul1963Norwich
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I chose this hotel because my husband likes real ale and we wern't dissapointed the pub/bar attached to the hotel had at leadt 6 real ales to choose from.
The room was adequate it was clean and quiet. There was no phone in the room and although wifi was available the code was not given in the information we had to ask a member of staff.
We had dinner in the restaurant in the evening and it was very nice, we had two courses and couldn't manage dessert!
It was really nice to be able to wander down into the bar after dinner and finish our night with a few drinks.