“Highly recommended homely hotel”

and 1 more site!
Sandcliff Guest House
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
Derby, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended homely hotel”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I had single occupancy of a twin room - this was at the back of the hotel and very quiet so I got a good night's sllep every night of my 1 week stay. I had half board and was extremely pleased with the quality of the evening meals - all freshly cooked with fresh vegetables and I only had chips once all week ! (they were available most evenings with some dishes). Took advantage of and apreciated the book 6 nights, get the seventh night free offer. Staff very friendly and helpfull. If I holiday in this area again I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed in a twin room with my sister on a recent trip to Cromer. Location alone makes this hotel a great place to stay, our room was a good size and clean (if a bit old fashioned) tea, coffee, biscuits (and hot chocolate!) in the room were very welcome after being in the car for a while. Even though the hotel is on the seafront with a main road, i found it very quiet in the evenings and a good nights sleep was had by both of us.My sister needed to keep some medication in the fridge and this was no problem for them, kindly bringing it to us at breakfast both mornings, although i have to say the older gent serving breakfast was a bit abrupt with us, but maybe thats me being over sensitive. We booked through booking.com (very reasonable rate for the two nights b&b) but i was surprised to find on check-out that my money had already been taken by the hotel from the c/c details supplied to CONFIRM the booking, i would have liked to have paid with a different card on check-out, but not really a big deal. All in all, a good hotel and if in the area again i would stay again

1 Thank RoseWineLover
Bristol
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed in April (Royal wedding weekend) for a family function but only just got round to writing review as have been busy at work and pregnant!

Really good little hotel and extremely good value for money.

The owners and managers have done everything they can to make it welcoming and modern within obvious money constraints.

Breakfast was very good. We didn't eat dinner and the bar seemed quite and closed most of the time we were there (out of season) but there are loads of places in Cromer to go to so didn't bother us at all. Had quite a few posters re food hygiene awards so they clearly take it seriously.

The bedroom was clean and comfortable and had a good flat screen TV. We requested a quiet room with a good view and its exactly what we got at the top of the house. Looked straight on to the sea. It was great.

The bathroom was fine and clean but was tiny and guest supplies were not great (there was a soap with Holiday Inn written on it - LOL) so take your own (we do anyway). Tea and coffee making facilities however were fine.

The manager Fran Hussey was really nice to me and gave me some chocolates when I had a pregnant munchie attack!

Free parking and appeared to have disabled access rooms and family rooms - so a good alround base to explore the lovely area.

All in all a great little hotel - and great value for money and families.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We highly recommend this hotel. The hotel is situated on the sea front and within easy walking distance of the pier and local shops and restaurants. Our room had a fantastic view of the sea and the pier. The hotel was very clean and tidy and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. As somebody that suffers from a food intolerance, I really appreciated it that the chef ensured that I had gluten free alternatives at breakfast and dinner.

We will definitly be returning to the Sandcliff Hotel when we next visit Cromer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 20, which I believe has the best sea view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stayed here for a short break and found the hotel was in an excellent location close to all that Cromer has to offer. We eat at the hotel and found the food good value.

Its a great place for a break and most of the clients were re-booking which is an indicator that they are doing things right!

Overall a nice enjoyable stay and cannot find fault with anything.

Only point to note is that although it has a bar this is shut fairly early and no 'night caps' are available . However this should not distract from what is a good hotel

1 Thank Les M
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The Sancliff is nice seaside hotel at a reasonable price. It is nothing fancy but the rooms, bedding and hotel itself are clean and reasonably well kept. The bed was comfortable and we all had a good nights sleep. Our room also had a sea view which was a bonus. Only ate breakfast here but it was nice and plentiful. Found all the staff we spoke to to be friendly and helpful. I'd return to this hotel and would recommend it to people wanting accommodation at a reasonable price.

The only downside was that the furniture is a little dated, but it was still functional, and there wasn't any shower gel or shampoo, things I've grown to expect at a hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I recently took my family to stay at the Sandcliff including wife, one toddler, one baby and two grandparents for a week in August. The hotel is dated but you would expect that with a Victorian building however everything was clean and the family room we had was perfectly big enough for our needs. A lock on the bathroom door woudl have beed nice but apart from that it was fine. What really makes this place is Fran and her staff who are incredibly friendly and helpful. The food was excellent especially breakfast. With the two kids in tow we decided to eat at the hotel most evenings and we were glad we did as the food was better than what we had experienced in the town. The hotel is set back from the cliff so there is a steep path down to the beech which was lovely and clean it also allows for buggy access with no steps involved once you are past the mini golf.
I would certainly stay at the Sandcliff again but I would book earlier next time and go for one of the more updated rooms with a sea view.
Thanks for a lovely and relaxing break.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room or one with an updated bathroom
1 Thank Charles T