“A Real Find!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The Blue Danube Cafe
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My wife and I wanted something different to end our latest stay in Cromer. This restaurant has just started to offer evening meals on weekdays (a rarity in Cromer!!) and from the moment we walked in the door, we felt it was just right. I think we should mention that it is now called "The Blue Room Cafe" and should in no way be associated with the Blue Danube which had built a poor reputation. The new owners are pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable about the food they serve, which is very good. Their prices are reasonable and their wine list, whilst small, is interesting. My wife and I, who have travelled extensively, have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant to couples for a reasonably priced evening meal with good service in a friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank MandMCro

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Myself and the kids decided to stop off here for lunch - mainly because it we were running out of time with our car parking ticket otherwise we would've carried on to another cafe.
Upon sitting down we waited for some service. After five minutes we asked a dour-faced waitress for some menus which were promptly thrown on our table.
The waitress appeared reasonably quickly to take our order, however we felt as if we were being rushed to speak.
The drinks we ordered arrived soon after with a muttering from Dour-Face as she plonked the tray on a table next to us and then disappeared leaving us to distribute them. Service?

Our meals were delivered soon afterwards but sporadically with the time between the first and last being 7 minutes. No attempt was made to check if we were happy with our meals at any time and no apology given for the lateness of the last meal either.

One solitary, tiny toilet is provided for use which along with the dirty decor - the glass screens don't appear to have been cleaned for months - is hardly an appetising aspect of the experience at The Blue Danube.

Interestingly only cash is accepted in payment with no debit/credit cards being allowed - suspicious and rather dubious, I thought.

The food itself was mediocre at best and over-priced for what it was. The choice was pretty poor as well. I know this is an independent establishment but sadly 'more choice and better value' is why people visit a Wetherspoon pub for meals.

Unfortunately we should have carried on for a few more steps and tried out The Red Lion which looked a lot better just at the end of the same road.

6  Thank SergeantHowie
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Me and a friend were after a quick dinner before a cinema trip, and decided to give this place a go after hearing it was under new ownership. We were instantly greeted by the owner and seated in the warm, softly lit restaurant. Only planning on having one course our minds were instantly swayed after reading through the menu. We both started with poached egg on a bed of asparagus with a lemon sauce, presented beautifully. Next I had the chicken and leek pie, while my friend had the vegetable lasagne. Both of our meals were superb and the only disappointment of the evening was that we had not allowed ourselves enough time for dessert!!! Highly recommended, will definitely be visiting again soon!

2  Thank Pippa K
Reviewed 28 March 2012

After hearing through the grape vine that The Blue Danube was under new ownership I thought I would try it again after a previously bad experience. The new owner was extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. I decided to order the Kipper and Tomato soup, whilst my partner opted for the chicken and leek pie. Despite my low expectations, the service was great and the food was cooked and served quickly and tasted delicious! I recommend to anyone reading this to look past the decor (which apparently is being refurbished) and try the food in this gem of a restaurant.

1  Thank Dexter T
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Three of us had a really great lunch last Saturday, 11th December. We all decided to go for the Chicken Thai Curry and it was superb. We opted for brown rice as an accompaniment. The dish was cooked to order and it showed. Everything from the perfectly balanced creamy sauce to the chicken pieces and rice was beautifully presented and cooked with fresh coriander scattered on top. The atmosphere was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The prices were reasonable and for a cold winter's day, it made for a perfect meal. I can't wait to sample the other dishes. Visitors are in for a treat. Go and try!

3  Thank Chistine363