“Disappointing”

Ranked #11 of 27 Cromer B&B and Inns
Sudbury, Suffolk
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We have stayed in Norfolk on a number of occasions and know the area well, after starting my own business this year and looking forward to my first weekend off for five months we booked into the Northrepps Cottage Hotel as it looked so nice on the website. I did book last minute (just a couple of days before but still paid over £240 for a two night stay)

We were told that there was a wedding party on the first night and might have to change rooms on the second night - the receptionist was very helpful phoned me back to say she had managed to move someone else so that we could have the same room for our total stay. (I think I should have said we didn't mind moving rooms!)

The wedding party was not a problem as it was held in another part of the hotel and we didn't hear any noise, however, we were a little shocked and frankly disppointed when we were shown to our room and the first thing we saw was a bath! I have stayed all over the world including the USA, Australia, Russia, Far and Middle east and have never been presented with a bath and the main feature in a rather small bedroom and also, fully visible from the hallway if the door was open! Running the bath resulted in quite a lot of noise so no chance of watching tv or having an extra 10 minutes nap whilst the bath filled (which seemed to take ages). There was a shower attached but we could only use it sitting down for fear of soaking the whole room, the second morning we were there, the hot water ran out before we went to breakfast.

Bathroom fittings which looked quite new were like most third rate hotels and wobbled or were practically hanging off. The digi-box on the tv was positioned behind the tv with no room for negotiation so for those who like to watch television whilst in bed (there was only one chair and a very small stool, not exactly luxurious), you will have to get up each time you change your mind or chanel.

Breakfast was average and different each morning even though my husband had the full english option both days. He did remark that 'this place doesn't seem to be a hotel or a B&B more of a hybrid' and I think that describes Northrepps pretty well.

Really didn't think the hotel was worth the money and will not be going back which is a shame as we only live a couple of hours away and it would have been nice to have somewhere we could go to on a regular basis

This is the first review I have felt I should write and whilst doing the ratings, not sure if it is a standard tick box but was not aware if this hotel had fitness, spa & Swimming pool - no info, or menus in the bedrooms and as the booking in receptionist was offhand, we will never know!

Location was lovely, nice walk into overstrand or Cromer and only £5 for a cab back. If you are booking, just ask which room you are in and if the bath is in a separate area to the bedroom!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebraJohnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We booked last minute for 2 nights wished we had booked 3, ate in restaurent first night which was good, friendly staff rooms and decor first class, if I was picky a full length mirror for the ladies in our room would have been handy. Very tranquil setting and ideal for local sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was due to stay one night and drive home to Leicester the next morning. Bit of a disaster because my car was overheating & just about managed to get to a garage in Sheringham to be told that my water pump had broken & it would be a job for the AA. Decided I would try to get to the hotel where I would hopefully be treated with some understanding. I knew I would lose the £40 deposit but to be honest all I wanted to do was go home. I arrived at the hotel, tried my best to find a member of staff but they seemed to be nowhere. Eventually someone helped me. I explained my dilemma. Have to say I would have been quite happy to write this night off as a bad job & book again for my next holiday as the hotel looked very nice. The girl gave me the phone to call the AA, then told me that as it was less than 24 hours notice I would be charged at the full rate of £90 if they could not relet the room. There was no point in ringing the AA then as I could have been hanging around until 11 o'clock that night. The girl, sorry don't know her name, seemed completely unconcerned about my plight and I fail to understand how anyone would have expected me to enjoy my night's stay. Anyway rather than lose the money I did decide to stay. I wasn't even offered a cup of coffee to make me feel better. I had to pay for that too...!! Not the best of British hospitality I've ever experienced. I usually travel on my own & I felt especially vulnerable, I was just having salt added to my wounds. Once I told the girl that I was staying she suddenly became very friendly and it was almost as if I'd said nothing to her previously. They had a wedding party going on that day & it became clear to me where their priority's were. I did feel that the non wedding guests were shoved away in a corner. Under any other circumstances I would have probably had an enjoyable time there, the room was small but nicely appointed. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. There was no bottled water but I carry my own anyway. I had dinner there which was tasty but not particularly memorable. I did, however sleep well, the bed was comfy, but then again I was stressed out. Breakfast was an average affair. Anyway I did call the AA who towed me all the way home & were lovely. I have stayed at a great many places in Norfolk & can & do recommend those that I like, but I'm afraid to say that Northrepps Cottage did not make me feel special in any way & I will not be staying there again. Sorry but you didn't help me when I was in need.....what more can I say....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The room was cost with a very comfortable bed and well appointed. The wet room was clean and made good use of the tiny space. Wifi in the room was patchy.
Dinner was memorable, the "freshly made bread" was still frozen in the middle, the seafood pate was a rather hastily thrown together seafood cocktail. Vegetables were well cooked but my steak was overdone, and the champagne and strawberry jelly was unsweetened and disgusting.
The full English breakfast, according to my husband, made up for the very disappointing evening meal. I thought the rather flaccid White sliced toast and rancid butter was on par.
We might have been very unlucky with the food as other reviews are far better, and the room was excellent.

Room Tip: Superb room but original windows fail to keep the noise out of exiting diners on the gravel carpark...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foxin
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Booked one night B&B in an executive double room using booking.com for a short break in Norfolk. It was discounted to £100 per room per night.
After an early start, a long drive and a hectic day we were relieved to arrive at Northrepps country cottage to a warm welcome from the friendly staff and once we'd checked into our excellent room we decided to have a well earned drink on the well manicured lawn, this was where Northrepps really is a winner. It's located in the most tranquil and peaceful setting you're likely to find close to a busy seaside resort, surrounded by woodland and open countryside it really is an oasis of calm.
The only sounds you'll hear apart from the odd car passing once every 15 minutes or so are birds singing. Sitting out there in the evening sunshine with a cold pint was as relaxing as a massage!
The hotel itself was the family home which has now been converted into a 7 room hotel. Our room was named Anna Gurney after a quite interesting and productive occupant of the house, it was on the front of the hotel and very nice with a comfortable bed, nice en suite, plenty of drawers and a smallish wardrobe. We couldn't fault it. It was spotlessly clean throughout as was the rest of the hotel.
The common areas of the hotel were fresh, tastefully done and quite contemporary while retaining a lot of period features and character.
The staff were friendly, helpful, pleasant and efficient, for example I asked if there was an iron in the room and a member of staff brought an iron and ironing board to the room within a couple of minutes.
Breakfast was freshly cooked with a good choice, fruit, cereal, fish or the traditional full english. It arrived piping hot and although I cook the world's best full english it was quite acceptable and much better than the barely palatable effort I was served up at another 4 star hotel I stayed at recently.
I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, pity we only stayed one night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luckydan996
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We recently stayed at the Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel to celebrate our daughters birthday. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff. All the rooms we booked were beautiful. The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard and we fully intend to go back again. It is nice to be able to say that about a hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Finsec
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Tranquil setting lovely individual rooms and wonderful food. Staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Booked last minute for my husbands birthday and they went out if their way to make it special No hesitation at all in recommending this and we found it very good value too

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Sharon3066
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
The Links Country Park Hotel & Golf Club
Beechwood Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Walsham

Been to Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel? Share your experiences!