“just what we needed peace”

Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel
Ranked #11 of 26 Cromer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Having looked on the internet and found a good price I was concerned that because of my walking disability I had to have a downstairs room. I rang and spoke to the manager Andy who was very helpful and assured me a downstairs room with shower as I cannot use a bath he also kept to the internet price. We arrived early lunch time on the Friday 30th September our room was ready and we were offered complimentary tea and coffee, excellent value room was excellent with a walk in shower the food in the restaurant was well above standard. Even though there was a party on the Saturday we were not disturbed.

If you want peace and quiet this is the place and although my sat nav took me down some single track roads we were delivered straight to the front door.

Room Tip: if you need a shower or have difficulty with stairs then just ring them very helpful
1  Thank Karen C

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Having re-read the previous reviews I can only agree and re-iterate a few points. If you don't have sat nav you are probably going to struggle to find the place. Their website does not appear to have a "How to find us" and if like us, you head for the village of Northrepps you won't find it! It's a mile or so North from there towards Cromer followed by a sharp right turn where you will spot the second of 2 signs. The 1st sign on the Norwich to Cromer road merely confirms the road sign to Northrepps Village but you need to take the next left after 25 yards and follow your nose for a mile or two before turning right then left. It's probably better to locate Overstrand village and take the Northrepps Road from there.
I would imagine the locals know where it is as it is very nicely appointed for weddings. The rather ugly looking building extension (like the rest of the exterior now in need of some TLC) clearly caters for weddings etc and I would imagine would be rather romantic for those attending & staying. The Bar & Dining Room are nicely appointed and the bedroom we stayed in modern & boutique (don't worry they all seem to be in the original building). Menu & Wine List perfectly acceptable if you make the right choice. Service was a little slow and the tables in the bar could do with some clearing, but the staff presented as happy enough and polite. Our food was fine both Dinner & Breakfast but because it's so out of the way, best for a short break of a couple of days rather than a week and I would guess you need you need to avoid the weddings unless you intend to gatecrash. If you are looking for an exciting evening try a hotel in Cromer or Sheringham!!!!

Room Tip: If you want the advertised power shower, don't pick a room with the integral bath!
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed for one night at Northrepps and enjoyed the visit. The hotel is modern, after conversion from an old cottage home of a local family. and clean, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are well appointed but it was a bit strange to find the roll top bath in the main bedroom and not in the en suite, although it was screened off.
The breakfast was good and plentiful, and the grounds are superb and perfect for a special occasion.
The only problem is finding the place, as it's not actually in the village of Northrepps despite a sign to that effect on the main road at the turning for the village. Follow the signs for Overstrand and turn right in the village opposite the church, after which it is easy to find. The hotel needs to address this problem by providing more relevant signs as there is a poor mobile signal which makes it difficult to phone up for directions as we eventually did. Overall a very satisfactory visit and we would stay there again now we know where it is.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ronstuart10
Reviewed 10 September 2011

From the moment we got there until we left, the service was superb. The food was also brilliant. I would happily go back or recommend without a qualm.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We have stayed in Norfolk on a number of occasions and know the area well, after starting my own business this year and looking forward to my first weekend off for five months we booked into the Northrepps Cottage Hotel as it looked so nice on the website. I did book last minute (just a couple of days before but still paid over £240 for a two night stay)

We were told that there was a wedding party on the first night and might have to change rooms on the second night - the receptionist was very helpful phoned me back to say she had managed to move someone else so that we could have the same room for our total stay. (I think I should have said we didn't mind moving rooms!)

The wedding party was not a problem as it was held in another part of the hotel and we didn't hear any noise, however, we were a little shocked and frankly disppointed when we were shown to our room and the first thing we saw was a bath! I have stayed all over the world including the USA, Australia, Russia, Far and Middle east and have never been presented with a bath and the main feature in a rather small bedroom and also, fully visible from the hallway if the door was open! Running the bath resulted in quite a lot of noise so no chance of watching tv or having an extra 10 minutes nap whilst the bath filled (which seemed to take ages). There was a shower attached but we could only use it sitting down for fear of soaking the whole room, the second morning we were there, the hot water ran out before we went to breakfast.

Bathroom fittings which looked quite new were like most third rate hotels and wobbled or were practically hanging off. The digi-box on the tv was positioned behind the tv with no room for negotiation so for those who like to watch television whilst in bed (there was only one chair and a very small stool, not exactly luxurious), you will have to get up each time you change your mind or chanel.

Breakfast was average and different each morning even though my husband had the full english option both days. He did remark that 'this place doesn't seem to be a hotel or a B&B more of a hybrid' and I think that describes Northrepps pretty well.

Really didn't think the hotel was worth the money and will not be going back which is a shame as we only live a couple of hours away and it would have been nice to have somewhere we could go to on a regular basis

This is the first review I have felt I should write and whilst doing the ratings, not sure if it is a standard tick box but was not aware if this hotel had fitness, spa & Swimming pool - no info, or menus in the bedrooms and as the booking in receptionist was offhand, we will never know!

Location was lovely, nice walk into overstrand or Cromer and only £5 for a cab back. If you are booking, just ask which room you are in and if the bath is in a separate area to the bedroom!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebraJohnson
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We booked last minute for 2 nights wished we had booked 3, ate in restaurent first night which was good, friendly staff rooms and decor first class, if I was picky a full length mirror for the ladies in our room would have been handy. Very tranquil setting and ideal for local sightseeing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was due to stay one night and drive home to Leicester the next morning. Bit of a disaster because my car was overheating & just about managed to get to a garage in Sheringham to be told that my water pump had broken & it would be a job for the AA. Decided I would try to get to the hotel where I would hopefully be treated with some understanding. I knew I would lose the £40 deposit but to be honest all I wanted to do was go home. I arrived at the hotel, tried my best to find a member of staff but they seemed to be nowhere. Eventually someone helped me. I explained my dilemma. Have to say I would have been quite happy to write this night off as a bad job & book again for my next holiday as the hotel looked very nice. The girl gave me the phone to call the AA, then told me that as it was less than 24 hours notice I would be charged at the full rate of £90 if they could not relet the room. There was no point in ringing the AA then as I could have been hanging around until 11 o'clock that night. The girl, sorry don't know her name, seemed completely unconcerned about my plight and I fail to understand how anyone would have expected me to enjoy my night's stay. Anyway rather than lose the money I did decide to stay. I wasn't even offered a cup of coffee to make me feel better. I had to pay for that too...!! Not the best of British hospitality I've ever experienced. I usually travel on my own & I felt especially vulnerable, I was just having salt added to my wounds. Once I told the girl that I was staying she suddenly became very friendly and it was almost as if I'd said nothing to her previously. They had a wedding party going on that day & it became clear to me where their priority's were. I did feel that the non wedding guests were shoved away in a corner. Under any other circumstances I would have probably had an enjoyable time there, the room was small but nicely appointed. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. There was no bottled water but I carry my own anyway. I had dinner there which was tasty but not particularly memorable. I did, however sleep well, the bed was comfy, but then again I was stressed out. Breakfast was an average affair. Anyway I did call the AA who towed me all the way home & were lovely. I have stayed at a great many places in Norfolk & can & do recommend those that I like, but I'm afraid to say that Northrepps Cottage did not make me feel special in any way & I will not be staying there again. Sorry but you didn't help me when I was in need.....what more can I say....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
The Red Lion
The Red Lion
#2 of 7 in Cromer
The Links Country Park Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel? Share your experiences!