“Generally good, average service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel

Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Cromer B&B and Inns
Heacham, United Kingdom
“Generally good, average service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed for one night with my boyfriend, looking for a quiet peaceful break. This hotel was perfect for that, as there are only seven rooms, so there was no feel of overcrowding or busyness, and the location does feel very secluded.

The hotel was not too difficult to find, but the car park is not signposted so we did have a little difficulty there, as it is down narrow country roads.

There is no reception, it is actually at the bar, but check in was reasonably straight forward once we had discovered this. We were shown to our room which I feel was good rather than just being directed.

The room was very nice, clean and spacious. The bed was comfy, and it was good to have real coffee available, and a selection of tea and hot chocolate. The biscuits were also yummy. Annoying that there is only one full length mirror and how it was positioned as the TV is on the wall above the dressing table/desk and I struggled with my straighteners as the plug wasn't very close either! However as we were only there for one night not too much of a problem.

There was no bath but there was a waterfall shower which was lovely. The bathroom door slammed constantly which was annoying. Good toiletries, but they did not include toothpaste or mouthwash. The towels were fluffy and clean and it was nice to have the added extra of the white bath robes. Overall good.

We had dinner at the hotel, it was good to be able to get a drink first and have a look at the menus in the bar, but I found the service to be average. They did not offer to carry our drinks through when they showed us to the table, but I only noticed this as I work at a similar hotel to Northrepps and we always offer to do so.
I was also disappointed with the menu choice, even considering both the specials and the al a carte menu, being vegetarian there was only one possible choice for a starter, the vegetable soup, and one possible choice for a main, a mushroom and vegetable baked souffle. So although the food in itself was good, as I do not like mushrooms and would not choose souffle that was disappointing.
The soup was good, hot and tasty, though it would have been nice to have been offered a choice of white or brown bread, and even better if it could have been homemade. I did not enjoy the main course, but as I have mentioned this is probably only down to personal taste.
I had an Eaton Mess dessert which was nice, although they did not have my first choice of vanilla creme brulee available. For a small hotel you would expect that, as they cannot really run out of anything, they would be able to keep on top of their stock.
All of that said I did enjoy the meal, and found it to be very reasonably priced, at just under £40 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 1 dessert.

Breakfast was included in the room price, and I found it to be average. We sat down at around 9:30, with the buffet really needing restocking. The cooked food was okay, poached eggs slightly under done, and for me personally a full cooked breakfast should include baked beans and hash browns, particularly being vegetarian. Again the service generally was average. None of the staff were rude at all, they just didn't seem interested and were not especially friendly.

Check out was fine, we were not asked how our stay was but she was reasonably polite. Overall, the hotel is good, I really enjoyed my stay, I do feel at £110 for the room the hotel is a little overpriced but I would defiantly consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has a bath and shower available. And it might be worth asking about the view if this...
1 Thank Rebecca C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed for one night at the Northrepps Cottage. Lovely setting, clean hotel and room. The room was very comfortable. Dinner in the evening was very good although I did feel like I was sitting in a corridor in the dining room.

Staff very friendly.

My one other comment would be that maybe to up their game slightly the snacks on offer at the bar to go with pre-dinner drinks were salted or dry roasted peanuts, which is fine, however, if they had been presented in a bowl rather than getting a packet of Nobbies Nuts, it would have been appropriate.

But otherwise, it was a lovely place to stay.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Northrepps Cottage is not the easiest place to find but it is well worth the effort. Having recently spent one night in an executive room at a large chain hotel paying £184 I will compare that stay with our one night in an executive room at Northrepps cottage for £110.
There is no comparison! Northrepps is excellent in every respect, our room was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean with every amenity you could want, the staff were exeptionaly friendly and efficient and could not be faulted.
Breakfast was brilliant and how nice to be served and not having to line up for a stale buffet. I must agree with a previous reviewer who commented on the scrambled eggs, they are probably the best I have tasted.
All in all a great stay at a wonderful hotel.
We will be back, now we know how to find it.

Bures St Mary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed for one night at Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel. The surroundings are beautiful. The staff were very friendly and our apartment was great. The only problem was in the bathroom when I had to use a cup to wash my hair as there was no shower or shower tap on the bath. Not good when paying £110 per night. Dinner that evening was excellent but breakfast was rather poor. It would have been lovely to have had a bowl of fresh fruit salad or a bowl of fruit to choose from. Instead there as a plate of tired sliced fruit that had seen better days. I don't eat fried food so my chose was limited.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed here with my partner for a relaxing break, Hotel is lovely and the room was beautiful,it overlooked the garden and woods,bed was king size and very comfortable. Breakfast was very good. I didn't give it five stars as the meal in the restaurant was of a poor standard and when we requested a sandwich after returning from seeing a show in Cromer at 9.30pm we were told No! although it does say that room service and snacks are available 24 hours,every where in Cromer seems to stop serving food at about 9pm and we were starving! A number of guests also commented on the poor quality of the restaurant,which is a shame because otherwise this is a very good Hotel.

Room Tip: Elizabeth Fry Suite is lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We celebrated our first wedding anniversary at the hotel and stayed for 1 night. Staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome. The room was excellent, very comfortable bed and lovely deep bath, dressing gowns supplied were a lovely extra. We ate in the restaurant, there was a good choice on the menu and we really enjoyed our meal on the saturday evening, breakfast was equally as good. Perfect for a relaxed break, will definately return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Giffnock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Leaving the cold north to head to Cromer increased our car's temperature gauge by 15 degrees. We visited Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel for a few days and what a pleasure it was. The ambience was good and our executive room excellent. The bed and bedding were vey comfortable and the shower a pleasure to use. There was real coffee in the room, as well as tea and hot chocolate and really tasty biscuits. The breakfasts were just to our liking with a good selection of fruit and cereals and nicely cooked food with plenty of tea and coffee all served by the friendly staff. The evening meals were good also, served in a relaxed manner and not rushed in any way. We used the time to visit Norfolk and enjoyed temperatures in the 20s! This was just what we needed and the hotel gave us somewhere nice to go back to in the evening. I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
Sea Marge Hotel
Sea Marge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Overstrand
Sandcliff Guest House

Been to Northrepps Cottage Country Hotel? Share your experiences!