“Misleading website and lack of ambition” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cliftonville Hotel

The Cliftonville Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
West Yorkshire
“Misleading website and lack of ambition”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on two occasion some years apart. The first time we thought it was alright and that is why we chose to stay there again this month for a short break. Before booking we looked at it on the web and assumed the place would be as described - it wasn't. This time we were booked into an 'executive room'. If executive means over-priced, dull, grubby, with worn out bedding and with a smelly en-suite with dead flies everywhere and plaster dust on the floor under the radiator then this must have been 'executive'. After viewing the room we approached reception and complained. There was no response to our comments. I was intent on leaving but knowing the hotel had our card details and would charge us anyway we stayed. Sadly the hotel has immense potential but the owners seem unable or unwilling to exploit this. On the positive side the food was of a fair standard in both restaurants and the staff were good - polite and eager to please.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

I booked this hotel for a weekend break having never been to the Norfolk area before. Unfortunately I felt this hotel was a let down. The rooms were clean & of average size, but the cost was not justified. The overall standard was more of a good B&B - the price was closer to that of a 4 star hotel.

The mattress was the worst we have ever been offered in our many travels - the springs had gone leading to a very uncomfortable night. When we broached it with reception the next morning they said they'd ask housekeeping to look into it & were apologetic, but there was no offer of a different room. When we arrived back later that day, we found that a duvet had been put over the mattress underneath the sheets to try to pad it out - it was an improvement, but still not great.

Breakfast on day one was poor/average - it was like the food had been pre-cooked & left under a heat lamp before being served to us (tomatoes were cold, eggs over cooked & bacon dry etc.). The second day though, things had improved - the smoked haddock was lovely.

On the positive side, the staff were friendly & the views were excellent. There was a charm about the architecture. but it didn't make up for the feeling of paying over the odd's for average accommodation.

If you were thinking of coming here, I'd suggest looking at B&B's first as they would offer better value.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

The staff were very accommodating, responding quickly to fix a problem with my room, and storing my bike for me. Eating at the hotel's Bistro, I felt like I was in a movie, they've kept the old-fashioned atmosphere so well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

My partner and I decided on a quick trip away and luckily decided a visit to Cromer and the Norfolk coast would be a good idea. And so it was. We stayed in an executive room - in a turret in fact - with views of the sea, the pier and the immaculate (sunken gardens), which I'm sure will look a picture in spring time. Bracing walks along the beach, a mooch around the shops, church and pubs and pier all accomplished, we headed back to the hotel for dinner.

This is when the hotel really came into it's own. The service provided by staff was absolutely first class - we were very impressed - and every single dish we ordered, both at dinner and breakfast next morning, were beautifully cooked and wonderfully presented. We just relaxed and enjoyed ourselves - exactly what we had come on our mini-holiday to do.

This is not a hotel that will win any awards for style - it's Edwardian and I did feel that some of the decor/carpets, etc., are a little tired. There were some parts of the room that just needed revamping in a slightly more sympathetic way to bring them in line with the undoubted elegance of the building and faultless service.

We had a delightful weekend and our journey back along the coastal road in North Norfolk was a real treat.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

We stayed here for one night. The hotel overlooks a drab park and the North Sea and the building looks old and depressing (like most English buildings), but was quite nice inside. The reception was crisp and efficient similar to a job interview, with a no-nonsense receptionist. My single room was about 9 square metres, very small and clean but cosy with everything I needed. The view through the cracked glass window overlooked the town and part of the sea and pier. It took quite a while to turn on and off the shower, which I eventually did myself, (It needs an IQ of at least 160 to get it to work) as I was determined not to ask for help from the no-nonsense receptionist. The included breakfast was good with a nice piece of local fresh haddock. The price was reasonable. This is as good as it gets in Cromer... 3 stars!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

We stayed for just one night at the Cliftonville and I paid extra for the excutive room and thought it was worth every penny. The room had fantastics views of the sea and the peir. The room was large and bright. The bathroom looked new and modern and all was very clean. The room was not modern, BUT nice - I liked it ! We also paid for the evening meal, this was super with a good choice. The staff were very friendly and helpfully. Too be honest can not really find fault. And if I was too be really picky the only thing was the room was a little cold, BUT it was a really cold windy weekend and the building is old edwardian SO not a major problem. We also took our little dog who was made to feel as welcome as us and even got a homecooked dinner. I would and will go back again ! Total recomend IT -

• Liked — The Sea Views and Friendly Staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
Braintree
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I booked and paid for an executive room at this hotel, I will leave it to you to look at the picturesand decide wether I got value for money.

It should be said that in general terms this is a nice hotel, the staff are very good and the food was exceptional.

They remind you that the hotel is edwardian but that should not use that as an excuse for poor quality room standards.

Would I go again, Yes but I would not pay an extra £30 per day for sub standard accomdation

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ejb2108
Cromer20, Assistant Manager at The Cliftonville Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2009
The hotel constantly updates and upgrades rooms.This room is the last one to be redecorated and refurbished.This is now in the process of being done.