“peaceful hotel”

Virginia Court Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cromer
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The hotel staff were very friendly and the bedroom very clean and comfortable. The only criticism is the lighting is poor (not enough to do your make-up) and the desk, which doubles as a dressing table and has a mirror over it ,had a hair drier in the drawer but not a socket near enough to use it. Apart from that it is a very pleasant hotel with a lovely lounge and dining room and the breakfast was excellent. Not far to walk into the town and plenty of parking at the side of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank judeapplemac

Reviewed 30 September 2012

The location is convenient for the pier and it is a pleasant walk through the park to get there. We had a room upgrade to a suite, which was well furnished and very comfortable. The public rooms are nice and the welcome at reception good.
Food was ok but perhaps the weakest element during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel due to a double booking at another hotel close by.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful.
The hotel is decorated very elegantly and is clean and tidy.
It is located on a quiet residential avenue and has plenty of parking, Although it feels very remote it is suprisingly close to the main part of Cromer and just a short walk through the park leads to the sea.
Unfortunately during my visit there appeared to be very few guests and therefore the bar and restaurant were empty. This meant that there was no atmosphere in the communal areas.
This is an ideal hotel for someone who wants tranquilty but with easy access to the heart of Cromer.
Breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 the door of which overlooks the foyer. The room was excellent with a large quee...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The Virginia Court Hotel is in a leafy avenue. Despite mentioning it was our Wedding Anniversary we were given a twin bedded room. But maybe there weren't any double bedded rooms available and nobody wished us a Happy Wedding Anniversary. The room was adequate, albeit the soap was so small it was difficult to get hold of it when wet. Nice fluffy towels, no flannels. The breakfast was excellent and the staff polite. The kipper was very good as were the American pancakes with fresh fruit. I asked for crispy bacon and they listened, it was good. They have some excellent homemade preserves including a lovely coriander and carrot jam. The preserves are also on sale at the hotel.

Although, there were few breakfast takers on our last day, We were not allowed to sit at a table one table away from where we sat the first morning. OK, they must have their reasons.

It's the first night I'd like to talk about here.. Having been up to Cromer to eat Cromer crab for the first time a few weeks back, we came back for our Wedding Anniversary, as 'fresh' crab dishes were a speciality of the hotel. So, I ordered Cromer crab salad, it arrived, it looked fine, but I could smell it wasn't, and thought it couldn't be 'off' but on tasting it - yuk it was 'off' so I sent it back. The next thing that happened was quite extraordinary, a rather disgruntled waitress came into the dining room, and insisted, that there was nothing wrong with the crab, and that she came from a family of fishermen - after the rant, she asked me if I wanted anything else. I settled for a rather nice piece of battered cod fillet.

The hotel is kept clean. However, on the way to our room, there is a little slope covered by carpet and twice I almost came a cropper on it.. I didn't find the hotel very welcoming, and at £145 a night overpriced. There are a few obvious things that need fixing, the knobs on the toilet system handles need to be screwed on, and in one of the loos on the ground floor it was missing altogether. Dead flies need to be removed from the light covers, and removed from the windowsills in the dining room. The hotel was OK, but lacked heart and obvious ownership

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a long weekend in August with 14 friends. First impressions were good, the outside of the hotel is nicely presented and there was ample parking on site during our stay. Before the 2pm check in time we had a drink from the bar which is very modern with ample comfy seating. Check in was quick and local information is available on request. Our room was on the first floor accessed via long narrow corridors which was just a bit awkward to navigate with our luggage. The room overlooked the garden albeit a part that wasn't maintained. There are garden tables and chairs on the lawn area which was nice as the weather was very warm and we were able to sit and chill out in the sun with a drink. The room was an average size with a large king size bed and a walk in wardrobe and plenty of drawer space and was nicely decorated. The TV had a good selection of channels. Only two gripes from me regarding the room – the floor was very creaky so trying to be quiet was impossible and as many have written before me, the room was too hot even with windows open perhaps a tabletop fan should have been made available. The bathroom was modern and clean we had a bath and shower with good water pressure from the shower. Breakfast was part buffet and part served with the hot food choices to be selected from a menu with a constant supply of tea, coffee and toast. We never had an evening meal in the hotel but we were told it was very good by other guests. The hotel is in a very good location with the sea front and town just a walk away. Overall this is a lovely hotel, pleasant staff and good facilities. We chose this hotel for its location as the men in our party played the Sheringham golf course and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank RecycledTeenager8
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I'm at the hotel as I write this and we splashed out for the suite which was well worth it. The bedroom part alone would be a good sized room but it also has a lounge attached with a large sofa, an armchair, coffee table, dressing table and a second larger tv. The bed is enormous and the built in wardrobe more than big enough. The robes and slippers are a nice touch. The room is nicely decorated with predominantly magnolia walls and one wall papered as a feature. Some of the pine furniture is starting to show its age but that is always a problem with pine. The king size bed is comfortable but could do with better pillows.
The en suite bathroom is a decent size with a better than usual shower but as one reviewer commented there is no shampoo and wet shavers note, no flannel. Overall this was a good room.
The hotel is the classic British hotel converted from a large house that we seem to do so well. Think Fawlty Towers and you're on the right track. I hasten to add that the similarity ends there, here the staff are all English, polite and efficient.
I did have to park on the road on the second evening but it was easy to get close by and it's a wide quiet road.
Breakfast in the large airy restaurant was excellent, my wife pronounced the scrambled eggs the best she'd ever had in a hotel. High praise indeed as my family rates hers so highly she's the queen of scrambled eggs to us.
Dinner was pretty good, everything was cooked well and tasty but I don't think bananas work in a tarte tatin, my fault for being brave. A good point to note is that they will happily save the remnants of your bottle of wine for the next night.
I wasn't particularly impressed with Cromer overall but the Virginia Court rescued what could have been a disappointing weekend so I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend and found the hotel to be lovely in presentation.

The location is an easy short 5 min walk to the centre of Cromer and the sea front.

Reception was efficient. With 24hr key access. On site Wifi (free) too if you require it.

Did not use the restaurant facility so can not comment here.

The room - was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable with a functional ensuite. (shower was great!)

During the summer months, perhaps a fan in the room would be nice (or even install a ceiling fan) but no real reason to have a niggle as I'm a pragmatic person and opened up the windows.

I would certainly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromer
Cromer Country Club
The Dales Country House Hotel
The Red Lion
The Red Lion
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Virginia Court Hotel? Share your experiences!