“First rate food”

George and Martha's American Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
George and Martha's American Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 156 Restaurants in Morristown
Price range: US$25 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: George & Martha's - American Grille
Morristown, New Jersey
“First rate food”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just ate again last night (a Saturday) and my husband and myself both thought our food was delicious. I had the inexpensive chicken breast, and it was perfectly cooked in a creamy sauce with gnocci and on a bed of spinach. My husband had the filet and it was cooked just as he ordered it and was a beautiful piece of meat. We liked the pear and spinach salad which we shared. We were not wowed with the wine list, so we both had beers. They have a nice selection on draft and a lot of craft beers in bottles. The total price wasn't crazy for an excellent meal.

For those of you who, like us, don't like the loud bar scene, ask for a booth or the front room. We were seated for the first time just next to the doors into the bar and it was OK, but not ideal seating. They don't have a lot of tables for couples so requesting where you want to sit when you reserve is important.

Good service, too.

• Visited March 2014

Randolph, New Jersey
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enters into a large bar filled with screaming 20 somethings. Dining area is seperate room and quite inviting. The waiter Nick came to our table and felt the need to explain to us that we may want to buy wine by the bottle because it may be cheaper, Duh! we figured that out as teenagers.
He then left and went over to his only other table and got into a deep conversation with those customers. a full ten minutes goes by and Nick has disappeard. My wife said this could be a long night. Nick then appears with drinks for the other table. I expect that he will deliver the drinks and then take our drink order, but NO Nick delivers the drinks and the gets into a deep conversation with these customers about the history of the place and the menu. At this point some 20 minutes have gone by and all we have is water and advice on the price of wine. At this point we simple walked out, I was going to complain to the manager but he was no where to be found. Can't comment on the food, since we didn't receive any. Never ever again.

• Visited February 2014
Mine Hill, NJ
“You're kidding right?”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Alright, so I'll start by saying that I did complain to management via website, and they immediately returned my call, but I missed it, and never called back. I assume they would be very responsive to someone looking to have mistakes corrected and complaints heard.

Having said that my experience with G&M's was less than memorable. We were attending a concert on a weeknight and decided to give it a try before the show.

We sat in the Lounge, basically a high top table within the bar area. It was comfortable enough. The hostess seated us right away and took our drink order. She returned with our drinks and told us "Bob" (I changed his name) would be our server. Apparently Bob was also working behind the bar, which was about half full.

We noticed people seated after us getting their orders in before us, never a good sign. Finally Bob came over offered to and took our order. However Bob did not go back to the touchscreen to actually place the order, he messed about behind the bar for a good 5-10 minutes during which he promptly forgot our order and had to come back and ask us for our order again. This time he placed the order. Getting worried we will be late for the show.

I flagged down the bar manager to refresh our drinks, and soon after our appetizer arrived. Buffalo Calamari ($9) which was quite tasty. Good size for two people. Server dropped and ran without making sure everything was ok, ignoring my "excuse me" as we had no plates so we ended up eating off the community plate. Annoying but no huge deal.

Dinner comes out and and server once again drops and runs, and I blurt out "Did I really just pay $17 for four ravioli?" The Lobster Ravioli portion was puny. It made me regret not ordering the bison burger ($14). It was quite tasty but a total ripoff. No bread, no veggie, literally just four ravioli on a plate with some sauce. Not very substantial at all.

My girlfriend ordered the Pan Seared Chicken ($14), the chicken pieces were few and far between and it was largely spinach.

One more round of drink service came and the drinks were incredibly strong. Normally a plus, but on top of four measly ravioli, not much to stop the absorption of alcohol, catching a nice buzz now. I had to go to the bar to get the server to close out our tab as he never came back.

Dinner comes to almost $100 with the tip and I'm still hungry. I don't mind paying for quality but to pay $100 and walk out hungry is a problem for me. I suspect there are some good dinners on the menu, we apparently did not choose wisely.

Somerville, New Jersey
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We dined here as a large group with our extended family on a very quite Sunday night. Even though we had reservations, it took 5+ minutes for a host to even greet us then another few minutes while they got our table ready - and there was only two other tables being used at the time so no reason for this delay. However, once we were seated the service was much better although the food was a bit delayed in being delivered with some of our meals at our table while we had to wait a few minutes for the others to arrive.

On to the food - it was very average "American" type food. I had the caesar salad which was whole leaves of Romaine (ok in flavor) and the short ribs with mashed potatoes. The short ribs serving was huge but the meat was not very good with huge chunks of fat in it (I know short ribs can have this but at a restaurant I'd expect a better selection of it). The saving grace though was the dessert - an individual skillet chocolate chip cookie served warm with ice cream... always a winner.

I'd go back but would probably stick to a burger like many of the others in my party had and liked.

New Jersey
“Much better than we remembered”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stopped for dinner at George and Martha's this week, not having been there in a few years. The menu has changed, prices lowered and service has improved greatly. We had an excellent meal which didn't break the bank and the service was outstanding. Looking for good American food, look no further.