“The place is growing on me...”

The Frelinghuysen Arboretum
Ranked #4 of 29 things to do in Morristown
More attraction details
Owner description: This 127-acre preserve, which surrounds a historic Colonial-Revival mansion and its formal gardens, offers self-guided nature trails with all trees and shrubs labeled as reference.
Morristown
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“The place is growing on me...”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

When I first had occasion to come here, I kept comparing it to the arboretum in my last neighborhood in the Midwest. Frelinghuysen will never compare favorably to it but that really isn't a fair comparison. I have come to realize, what they do, they do well. Recently went to a lecture on wildflowers and attended a Sunday appetizers preparation event. Have also been on one of the bus tours to a series of NY gardens and to the Philly Flower show. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. The events are well run, whether local or by bus. Plant sales are good. All in all, I recommend membership and taking advantage of the arb offerings.

Visited February 2014

Madison, New Jersey
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great Treasure in Morristown”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I've been to Frelinghusyen with friends, my sister, and alone.

It is beautiful anytime of year. Two weekends ago the leaves were at autumnal peak and there were many families out taking portrait photographs of children.

I love the rose garden and the labyrinth most. The trails are not very secluded, but if you need a quick nature fix they will do.

1 Thank HappyHikerGirl
Morris County, New Jersey
475 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4,175 helpful votes
“Beginning of spring”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This park like setting is a great place for a walk .There are many acres of beautiful nature settings -every months -different flowers ,shrubs and trees are in bloom.Nice place for a picnic lunch.Great picture opportunities,bring your camera...

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Wenovo
Boston, Massachusetts
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Pretty small, but pretty. BAD SMELL at entrance”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

It smelled like something died under the grate at the entrance and as I walked over, I could hear rats. Pressing on up past the barn, the beauty begins. There were still a number of things in bloom, but in general, I wouldn't expect to spend more than 2 hours here. I tried to bike the Patriots Path, but tree roots and missing pavement made this unsafe for my road bike. It is a peaceful and pretty location. There are two main buildings to visit. Themed gardens were also nice. I didn't feel the need to take pictures though. There just wasn't enough to bother. It's something to do for free in the afternoon, but I wouldn't drive hours to get there.

Philadelphia, Pa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Frelinghuysen Arboretum”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This attraction is located right in front of the Country Library along Hanover Rd, I believe. I normally frequent the place when I need to get away from everything...bring a book or camera and need to get lost somewhere close and quiet. The garden is well tended... the flora changes with the season. A good place to linger if you have nothing to do. Bring a picnic basket, and food and drink of course after that it's time to snooze. One of my many weaknesses.